Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
meow
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! :cool:

So, I went on a tour through Germany and we spent a couple of hours in Rothenburg ob der Tauber, in southern Germany, near Nuremberg. Rothenburg is a magnificent little city, which gives a very special medieval feel for its visitor and it's very cosy.

I hope you like the pics, even though the Sun wasn't on an ideal position.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Nice shots! The town looks really good. But I've heard that it's nothing but a tourist trap nowadays, with only souvenir stuff to buy and no real, everyday stores at all. I wonder if that's true.

·
Registered
meow
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice shots! The town looks really good. But I've heard that it's nothing but a tourist trap nowadays, with only souvenir stuff to buy and no real, everyday stores at all. I wonder if that's true.
That's pretty much TRUE. However we ended up in a library that had nothing of tourist. But yes, it's pretty much one souvenir store after the other.

The city looks good however, I like it.

·
"The Ignorant Fool"
2,576 Posts
Damn tourists are everywhere and everplace has become a pseudo-Disney World like atmosphere catering to them.

Great tour and really idyllic town. Love the half-timbered houses. Fab photos.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
It's beautiful :)

how come there are so few cars around?

·
Premium Member
18,570 Posts
It's beautiful :)

how come there are so few cars around?
Some people like to use their legs? Can you imagine trying to squeeze lots of cars down those narrow streets? No thanks! Looks much better the way it is now without the stupid things clogging up those lovely cobbled streets.

The whole city is 1.5km across and only 3.5km long in total so it's very easily walkable. You don't need a car to drive that sort of distance.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Rothenburg is very much touristified on the main road. If you go on to the alleys and backstreets there are much less tourists and you can actually find peace to be on your own. A main draw is that the town beautiful laid on a hill. Just as everywhere else the tourist often keeps to a small area and then rush on to next sight. Beeing in Rothenburg in the evening is magic.

Less plauged by tourism is the towns of Nördlingen and Dinkelsbühl, which both have preserved their old town without becoming to much of a tourist attraction.

I will upload some of my own Rothenburg photos here....

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
^^
Absolutely true. Rothenburg is one of the most beautiful cities of the country. Of course, this results in sort of tourist rushes.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Some people like to use their legs? Can you imagine trying to squeeze lots of cars down those narrow streets? No thanks! Looks much better the way it is now without the stupid things clogging up those lovely cobbled streets.

The whole city is 1.5km across and only 3.5km long in total so it's very easily walkable. You don't need a car to drive that sort of distance.
It just looks very unusual, but in an interesting way :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
stunning photos.Thanks guys.
Certainly one of the most beautiful towns in Germany.
Even the post-war buildings are decent (pics 33-35 for example).

·
Registered
312 Posts
@Clay Hefner
I do not know actually which houses that are post-war. Rothenburg has still one of the most strict protection laws in Germany; defining for an example the nature of signs for the shops.

@Svartmetall
I have not been everywhere in Germany, but I have lived for arund 4 1/2 year so I have seen quite much. There will be some photographs not just of Germany but other parts of the world.

·
Premium Member
18,570 Posts
@Svartmetall
I have not been everywhere in Germany, but I have lived for arund 4 1/2 year so I have seen quite much. There will be some photographs not just of Germany but other parts of the world.
Well, you've certainly made the most of your time there so far, you seem to have taken excellent shots from many different cities!

Thanks for the latest addition too! :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts