Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 627 Posts

·
Unregistered User
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this in the Rotherham Advertiser on Friday, been meaning to scan it in the computer and upload it to here for a few days now. Anyway i finally done it!

Right then you wont be able to read the writing, but you can see some of the developments that they are planning.

So i will give an overview of the situation. The council have planned a project to help redevelop the town centre called the Renaissance Project. However, due to Rotherham basically been crap, members of the council are arguing it will only further kill off the town centre business. The town has alread lost many retailers in the past 10 years, even after Meadowhall, such as Marks & Spencers, and is losing them all the time.

Been from Rotherham myself i never go in to the town centre at all. Last time i went in was about six months ago and that was only very brief. The place is depressing, dead and has little to attract people there. As the article says it has become a residential suburb of Sheffield. Which is quite true. I feel more association with Sheffield then i do Rotherham and spend miles more time there, as does everyone i know!

A link here for the Renaissance Project - http://www.rotherhamrenaissance.co.uk/

·
BAND
12,217 Posts
It's a tough one this. Yes I agree Rotherham has become a bit of a 'residential suburb for Sheffield'. The only thing is i'm not sure it should change. I've got nowt (much) against Rotherham, but to be honest, as i'm from Sheffield I would prefer Sheffield to progress, which means that unfortunately Rotherham will miss out. I'm not sure how sustainable it would be to have a good city centre in Sheffield, Meadowhall AND Rotherham. One of them is gonna miss out as is the case with some of the towns and cities in Greater Manchester, Greater Birmingham, Greater Leeds etc.

·
Rotherowl
149 Posts
I only ever go into town during the day now to get my haircut as I only ever go shopping in Rotherham at Parkgate retail park which even though it is an absolute pig to get to at the weekend as everyone is trying to get to one roundabout it is free to park at and has a much better selection of shops.
Rotherhams sole problem is its proximity to Sheffield because as soon as Meadowhall opened the town centre just died overnight.
All of these projects will make no difference to the fortunes of Rotherham as everyone would still rather go to Sheffield and I'm one of those people.

·
Unregistered User
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a tough one this. Yes I agree Rotherham has become a bit of a 'residential suburb for Sheffield'. The only thing is i'm not sure it should change. I've got nowt (much) against Rotherham, but to be honest, as i'm from Sheffield I would prefer Sheffield to progress, which means that unfortunately Rotherham will miss out. I'm not sure how sustainable it would be to have a good city centre in Sheffield, Meadowhall AND Rotherham. One of them is gonna miss out as is the case with some of the towns and cities in Greater Manchester, Greater Birmingham, Greater Leeds etc.
As a resident of Rotherham i would prefer Sheffield to progress too,lol

·
Unregistered User
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everyone who i know wouldnt care, neither would i.

In fact it would be a lot better i think.

·
The Real Robin Hood
549 Posts
I think Rotherham has the potential to become a rather nice little town centre, It has a lot of good thinks going for it. I used to work in Rotherham just up Moorgate Road which its-self is a rather pretty road.

If they were to down size the centre I think it could become self sustainable, A few nice office and residential developments along the Canal combined with resturants new bars, and the areas around the edge ie all the flyovers and factories (some of the older nicer ones could be changed into appartments) could be turned into nice town houses or family homes offering people a nice place to live, A project like that could improve the region offering people who work in Sheffield a nice place to live and those that live in Rotherham could retore there pride in there town (like what is happening in Barnsley at the minuite)

·
do me bad things
7,551 Posts
You are neglecting to notice Tom that Barnsley is about 12 miles from Sheffield city centre - Rotherham is only 6 miles away, and its suburbs merge into Sheffield.

Personally, I feel that both can co-exist with Meadowhell, and as you say, the canal and waterfront are beautiful, You can't blame the council for having high ambitions, but it may just kill the town off.

·
The Real Robin Hood
549 Posts
6 miles? is that like a big distance plus there are about 10 trains aday from Barnsley to Meadowhall. It could also be argued that Chapletown mergers with High Green which in turn merge with Tankersley then Birdwell then Barnsley

What Barnsley has done well though Which I think Rotherham could is smaller schemes to replace existing older (by older I mean 60's) buildings as there are also a lot of very nice older (like 19th century type) buildings in Rotherham alot more than Sheffield and Barnsley proportionatly. Which is why I think it could become a quite pretty small town.

·
do me bad things
7,551 Posts
I also think that the way Sheffield seems to be extending its city centre core into and through the Don Valley (with Wicker, Burngreave, Spital Hill/Saville Street, Attercliffe Shops, Arena/DVS, Centertainment/EIS/IceSheffield, M/Hall retail park and Meadowhell itself) etc, the attractions of Sheffield are much nearer to Rotherham than 6 miles.

Although YES! and the Rother Valley Country Park redevelopment should help Rotherham, and it does have Magna and one of the biggest military museums in the north.

·
Unregistered User
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh yeah i know where you mean. It's alright in there, use to love looking in it when i was little:)

·
BAND
12,217 Posts
Sounds about right for our council. Would love another large museum/gallery in Sheffield. Maybe somewhere down Castlegate when it gets redeveloped. (Or maybe a V&A North like we saw in those renders a little while back)

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
So, is it time to bite the bullet and officially incorporate Rotherham into Sheffield, or would people in Rotherham be determined to stay independent even if it ends up killing their town?
Good idea. They could discourage major retail in Rotherham town center and build loads of apartments on the Don and the canal. Sheffield's population would expand by 250k overnight. Rotherham RU could become Sheffield Rugby Union Club. Rotherham United could become Sheffield City FC. And we'd be much closer to the airport. And the M1 would pass straight through the city.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Im a rotherhamner! I hate the underambitious council. They have no flare at all for developments! The over aged population take every flat as the home of a witch and 3 storey townhouses are booed by treetoners!

Its so frustrating living here. The town centre will take 25 years to redo! All it needs is roads into it and old buildings knocking down to free up land for new development. The perdestrianised area is shocking at it is that what strangles Rotherham Town Centre.

Even if the redevelopment was to happen they still have no vision, the plans are rubbish! Wheres the focal point? Whats going to attract tourists and fot into the regions lesuire and tourism industry? Nothing!

- btw: Im 15 and hi.

·
BAND
12,217 Posts
Hi Steel City Suburb (Nice name :lol:). What would you think to rotherham being incorporated into Sheffield? I could understand if you'd be having none of it, but you have to admit, the plans for the city centre are more likely to kill it off rather than bring it back to life.

1 - 20 of 627 Posts