Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think the regeneration of rotherham town centre is unambitous? The river is going to be a 'focal point' yet theres a huge area with old factories [don't know the name, they are now being torn down] what could be made into high rise and high class apartments.

Also the town centres transport system is lousy at the best of times. How would you improve it?

I'm working on what i would like to see just on a google maps image photoshopped into paint. I'll post it later.

·
Unregistered User
4,129 Posts
The thing is though, would someone buy a high class apartment in Rotherham? I know i wouldn't.

I think the regeneration programme is probably just about right for what Rotherham can achieve, however, as has been mentioned on here before i think it should focus more on improving the links with Sheffield to strengthen the economy of both places (similar to Salford - Manchester).

In terms of transport, again i don't think it's too bad in terms of the size of the place. Where i live in Swinton i can catch a bus to all the surrounding towns (although not Sheffield, have to do Meadowhall then change). Plus there is a train station and good road links. I think the loss of the tram though was a big blow, it would have helped to join Rotherham with Sheffield more.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You wouldn't at the moment. But if there was a high rise development area in a ambitous redeveloped town centre, you would definately consider it. Anyone would. An ideal space for an attractive in-town development is the area where old factories are being knocked down. Its large and next to the river, a bay could be built and apartments around that.

The town needs to improve its rail but a bus corrdior could be introduced to the area. Also the town needs a huge facelift to turn around its fortunes.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
I don't think its under-ambitious per-se - I agree with Jozblade, the most intelligent way to move is to strengthen links with Sheffield. I mean it might sound over-ambitious, but why not try to establish it as a good quality commuter town, in the same way somewhere like Bury interacts with Manchester (thats on the end of a metrolink line isn't it?).

I do also think it would be silly for Rotherham to turn its back on all its own history etc though, so I wouldn't want to take the whole 'suburb of Sheffield' thing too far.

·
Unregistered User
4,129 Posts
You wouldn't at the moment. But if there was a high rise development area in a ambitous redeveloped town centre, you would definately consider it. Anyone would. An ideal space for an attractive in-town development is the area where old factories are being knocked down. Its large and next to the river, a bay could be built and apartments around that.

The town needs to improve its rail but a bus corrdior could be introduced to the area. Also the town needs a huge facelift to turn around its fortunes.
You have kind of answered your own question there then. The reason why these high rise apartments aren't being built is because the town has to build itself up first with some solid foundations (sort of speak) before it can start being that bit more ambitous in terms of high rise developments. Jobs is another issue why high spec apartments in Rotherham wouldn't really be viable. I doubt there are enough people in the town on high incomes who would buy one of these kind of places.

·
Unregistered User
4,129 Posts
I don't think its under-ambitious per-se - I agree with Jozblade, the most intelligent way to move is to strengthen links with Sheffield. I mean it might sound over-ambitious, but why not try to establish it as a good quality commuter town, in the same way somewhere like Bury interacts with Manchester (thats on the end of a metrolink line isn't it?).

I do also think it would be silly for Rotherham to turn its back on all its own history etc though, so I wouldn't want to take the whole 'suburb of Sheffield' thing too far.
Yeah you're right Andy, Bury is at the ened of a metrolink line. Linking this in with your last point, Rotherham could obviously be more succesful than Bury due to its size and history.

I think its important the town diversifys itself in some kind of why to make it stand out and not just be 'another' town.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts