Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
a.k.a. Sequentia
21,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Q4 of 2008 construction will start on yet another skyscraper in Rotterdam - this time a 170m office tower designed by Norman Foster & Partners. They are also responsible for the two other buildings on the north side of the pier: the World Port Center and the MSS building (lowrise). Baltimore will be a 'green tower', which fits in government policies to make buildings friendly for the environment.

Baltimore will be built on the world famous Wilhelminapier - an old harbour that is rapidly transforming into a popular place for living, working and leisure. More information on the entire pier can be found in this topic:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=477850&highlight=wilhelminapier

The Wilhelminapier and the 'Kop Van Zuid'-area that it is part of, are just an 'Erasmus Bridge'/river removed from the city center that is also full of highrises. On this new urban area across the bridge, Baltimore is one of the final developments. The highrise cluster will consist of:

Baltimore (Foster & Partners) - 170m - Q4 2008
Maastoren (Dam & Partners) - 165m and 108m - U/C
New Orleans (Alvaro Siza) - 159m - U/C
Havana (Cruz Y Ortiz) - 154m - Q1 2010
Montevideo (Mecanoo) - 152m - built
De Rotterdam (Rem Koolhaas) - 139m - Q1 2008
World Port Center (Foster & Partners) - 123m - built
Toren op Zuid (Renzo Piano) - 93m - built
Wilhelminatoren (Dam & Partners) - 90m - built
Cite (Erick van Egeraat) - 90m - U/C

Plus a lot of 60 to 90m towers that have either been built or are under construction.

·
Enschede goes high 8)
796 Posts
Don't like the design at all. And the space between WPC and Baltimore is to little.

The hight is oke. :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
I like it very much, the building has a very industrial look which suits Rotterdam and its location very well!

@ MDguy, yeah isn't it something that one of the highest buildings (only one proposed building is higher) in Rotterdam is named after such a 'boring' town in Maryland....:wink2:

And one of the most beautiful cities on the eastcoast only gets a building of 70 meters on the Wilhelminapier.....yup talking about Philly! :wink2: :nuts:

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Don't feel down MDguy ;)

All places in the world have a beaty of their own.

Height isn't most important.

However iám going to like this new Baltimore building in Rotterdam very much.
Once completed i can see this one from my place here at the PC if ik look to the right :lol:

·
Enschede goes high 8)
796 Posts
I really don't understand a lot of people, espessially on the dutch forum. In my opinion, I don't see any reason to be optimistic about the looks of this building. It's quit boring, out of any perspective and the colors doesn't mach with montevideo, or any other building on the wilheminapier.

As I said before, the hight is oke. But is that enough love the building anyway? It's just to close to the WPC and it doesn't fit between the other buildings.

But oke, let's wait for some more renders.

·
T H E H A G U E
2,848 Posts
I really don't understand a lot of people, espessially on the dutch forum. In my opinion, I don't see any reason to be optimistic about the looks of this building. It's quit boring, out of any perspective and the colors doesn't mach with montevideo, or any other building on the wilheminapier.

As I said before, the hight is oke. But is that enough love the building anyway? It's just to close to the WPC and it doesn't fit between the other buildings.

But oke, let's wait for some more renders.
het gebouw is watg mij betreft wel goed. ,aar hij staat inderdaad VEEL te dicht op WPC:(

·
a.k.a. Sequentia
21,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ Skyscrap

You don't get to decide if other people like it fortunately! Personally, I would also love this design if it wasn't 170m. I love the folded brown steel beams, the vertical lines, the glass and the podium. Also the huge glass skylobby is amazing! It doesn't have to 'match' with other buildings imo...

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
@ Skyscrap

You don't get to decide if other people like it fortunately! Personally, I would also love this design if it wasn't 170m. I love the folded brown steel beams, the vertical lines, the glass and the podium. Also the huge glass skylobby is amazing! It doesn't have to 'match' with other buildings imo...
i think these are just detailes, Skyscrap is wright about the aproaching of the WPC.
still, these two buildings have similarities, those two volumes decaled, only the shapes are different- the curved wall of WPC-and the high.
architects have different styles, but they must assume the continuity in the context they build.

·
Enschede goes high 8)
796 Posts
@ Skyscrap

So you would like to say, you love chaos? It's just to wide. I definitely know for sure, you would prefer an other design, when it was released, that contains a building that fits more on the wilhelminapier, and didn't stand so close to the WPC.

Onfortunately, thats not the case, and we have to do it with this design. A shame in my opinion, because the WPC and montevideo are some top design buildings. New Orleans is a bit to boring, but it fit well in his environment. This would fit much more on the place of baltimore:

This because it's color fit's well to montevideo and the WPC, it is much skinnier. It's an old design of rvrbv architects

·
POTTEN
280 Posts
^^ just let people make up their own mind.

I truly love the design, only the height difference between the lower and the taller part could be a bit bigger. I don't think the space between with WPC is too small, look at what a great couple they make.

·
a.k.a. Sequentia
21,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@ Skycrap

There is no space for a tower with a bigger distance to WPC. Have you ever been on the pier? Maybe from a far view it looks weird, but this will fit the pier very well. It's a match made in heaven! And maybe I would like another design, but that depends on the design - and that goes for EVERY tower right. Doesn't mean I cannot LOVE this one.

I just don't like people who think their opinion is superior :)

·
Skyscraperfan
1,251 Posts
Is the Balitmore really 170 meters??, I thougt 150 meters.

·
Enschede goes high 8)
796 Posts
I don't think my opinion is superior. But it's just the same here in Enschede:

Also here is the space between the 2 buildings to little.

The only thing they had to at the Baltimore building is mirror it, so the lower part becomes the highest. That would improve a lot.

·
a.k.a. Sequentia
21,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^ That is a good suggestion, have to give you credit for that!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts