Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Redevelopment of the former head post office building by adding a residential tower, in central Rotterdam (next to City Hall).

Facts & figures:
Developer: OMNAM Investment Group
Architect: Eran Chen/ODA New York
Renovation architect: Braaksma & Roos Architectenbureau
Height: 155m
Function: mixed market residential, 5 star hotel, restaurants, shops
Building time: 2019-2022
Renovation cost: 100mln EUR
Status: Approved by Beauty Committee, permit application filed

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
The thing that makes this development unique is the awesome blend between old and new. One of the coolest projects of Rotterdam!
The more I see it, the more I think it's a weird looking tower. Doesn't fit with the grand art deco design of the former post office.

Not suitable as a 150m highrise either, it's more appropriate as a 6 story building somewhere downtown

·
Registered
307 Posts
I would disagree with that. I'm assuming your not very familiar with the area, but actually a lot of the design featured resemble examples of the neighbouring historic buildings.

I agree with GeneratorNL though a nice crown instead of a flat roof would have been great but maybe it would then conflict / compete to much with the neighbouring city hall tower.

None of the less this is an great development for Rotterdam in the core of the city, where they are starting now to regain the former grandeur. Adding the redevelopment of the landscaping of the avanue infront of this building, we could see a great quility boost to the centre of town.

·
The only way is up
88,093 Posts
This building will be amazing. :cool:

ODA unveils redesign for rotterdam's historic post office featuring rhythmic stone façade

ODA new york has been commissioned to redesign a historic building in rotterdam. sitting vacant for more than a decade, the former central post office, the ‘postkantoor’, aims to bring new life back to the city’s center. ‘POST rotterdam’, is a 58,000 sqm adaptive reuse project, and aims to reconnect the postkantoor to its energetic surroundings — to reclaim its place as a meaningful and civic component of the city’s urban fabric.
https://www.designboom.com/architecture/oda-new-york-redesign-postkantoor-rotterdam-01-31-2019/

Some renders from the ODA site:

·
The only way is up
88,093 Posts
I can barely wait for it to start. below is a summary of the most recent welfare committee meeting about this project. (translation below)

Post Rotterdam zojuist in Commissie Welstand: Commissie geeft positief advies op de ingediende bouwaanvraag met een aantal condities voor de verdere uitwerking.:)

Alle opmerkingen van de commissie van 19 december waren goed door ontwikkelaar en architect opgepakt. Commissie maakte complimenten voor de manier waarop ontwikkelaar en architecten elke keer naar goede oplossingen hebben gezocht. Ontwikkelaar gaf aan echt een high end gebouw neer te willen zetten.

Is er nog nieuws?
- Hoogte wordt 155m
- Atoombunker wordt uit de vergunning gehaald tot duidelijk is wat de ontwikkelaar hiermee wil.
- Rijksdienst voor monumenten moet nog advies geven.
- Eind maart nog een bijeenkomst in Post Rotterdam (in samenwerking met Air?) voor belangstellenden over het ontwerpproces. Ontwikkelaar hoopt dat ook de Nimby's dan zullen komen.
- April zou dan concept-bouwvergunning het proces ingaan.
- Na start sloop is het ongeveer een jaar tot de kelder gereed is en de hoogbouw kan beginnen
The committee will give a positie advise under some conditions that have yet to be met.They appreciate the effort so far and the ambitions of the developer to build a high end building.

Other news:
- The height will be 155 meter
- A cold war atom bunker underneath the building will be dealth with later in a separate procedure
- The national monuments agency has yet to approve (the post office is a national monument)
- End of March there will be some meetings to inform the public
- In April filing for permit (concept)
- Demolition and clearance will take about a year and the construction can start.

So this one will probably not start this year, but demolition and preparation may.

·
The only way is up
88,093 Posts
Today I had the chance to have a look inside the old post office building :)

Great hall, but it has seen better times. This project will be a gamechanger.

The corridors seem already under demolition:

This model of the city of Rotterdam is on exhibition in the post office. All white blocks are new tower projects.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts