Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rotterdam - Wilhelminapier (Under Construction till 2012)
Its an old dock form a harbour. The Wilhelminapier is named after the old Queen Wilhelmina.
There are a few old buildings left. Like the old Holland Amerika Line building. Now its called Hotel New York its standing on the head of the dock.
The Wilhelminapier is a part of the City center the ErasmusBridge/Metro/Tram/Watertaxi's connects it together.

Its a very high quality zone with appartments, offices, hotels, cinema's/theatres, shops, many (world)restaurants etc etc.
It takes years and years to study to present this unique masterpiece in the center of Rotterdam at the Maas(Meuse).

WPC and Montevideo are already completed

they just started with the 3th one, New Orleans 2010 completed
and next year they will start with The Rotterdam.

photo's --> Michiel

·
Registered
370 Posts
New Orleans 158 m
Havana 154 m
De Rotterdam 135 m
SF, Boston, Philly 70 m
Baltimore is unknown

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WPC and Montevideo are already completed

they just started with the 3th one, New Orleans 2010 completed
and next year they will start with The Rotterdam.

·
Skyscraperfan
1,251 Posts
So lang for new orleans, I exspected 2009 :(

·
Registered
156 Posts
perhaps not the tallest cluster in the world, but certainly one of the highest quality! isn't it true that within the next 8-9 years the pier would have 2 buildings by foster (world port centre, baltimore), 1 by koolhaas (de rotterdam), one by mecanoo archititects (montevideo) and one by siza (new orleans)? well there you go, do the math ;)

i'm secretly hoping that a 200+ centrepiece building by kenzo tange will be anounced someday. his style would suit rotterdam so well in my opinion.

·
a.k.a. Sequentia
21,697 Posts
@ Nathanaell

No, I was at the opening and they are trying to get the appartments done before the end of 2009 as well. It will be early 2010 when the first residents can move in after the interior is done.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
i think de rotterdam is the master piece of this cluster, though is not the biggest. it has such strainght, such power, such personality, can t wait for begining of the construction.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@ Nathanaell

No, I was at the opening and they are trying to get the appartments done before the end of 2009 as well. It will be early 2010 when the first residents can move in after the interior is done.
okay, how sooner how better it is!

·
Registered
542 Posts
perhaps not the tallest cluster in the world, but certainly one of the highest quality! isn't it true that within the next 8-9 years the pier would have 2 buildings by foster (world port centre, baltimore), 1 by koolhaas (de rotterdam), one by mecanoo archititects (montevideo) and one by siza (new orleans)? well there you go, do the math ;)

i'm secretly hoping that a 200+ centrepiece building by kenzo tange will be anounced someday. his style would suit rotterdam so well in my opinion.
Actually there will be three buildings by Foster, as the already realised Marine Safety Rotterdam building is also desgined by Sir Norman!!

I'm not sure, but because MSR, Baltimore and WPC are all three next to each other, Rotterdam might be the only city in the world with three Foster's in a row!

Photo by Jan Klerks

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

You are really well-informed, especially for somebody from Bangkok!

The KPN-building on the Wilhelminapier is from another well-known architect; Renzo Piano.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You are really well-informed, especially for somebody from Bangkok!
what do you mean, especially for somebody from bangkok? you got something against...just kidding :lol:

actually i'm dutch, but i'm writing my bachelor's dissertation here, and i was an exchange student in bangkok before. so basically i've been living there for a year. i will return to the motherland this august.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts