SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
In mourning
97,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roughriders get news of new stadium for 2017

July 14, 2012, 3:44 pm

Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall announces a new stadium, costing $278 million, will be built in Regina in time for the 2017 football season before CFL football action between the Saskatchewan Roughriders and the BC Lions in Regina on Saturday. (Photo: CP/Liam Richards)

THE CANADIAN PRESS

REGINA -- Football fans in Saskatchewan have received the news they were waiting for -- a deal has been struck to build a new stadium.

Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall announced the news to fans at the city's current football facility, Mosaic Stadium, prior to today's CFL game between the Saskatchewan Roughriders and the BC Lions.

The new 33,000-seat stadium will be built on Ervaz Place lands in Regina and is expected to be ready in early 2017.

Wall called the Roughriders "Canada's Team" and he said it deserves a world-class stadium.

The news was greeted by hoots and cheers from the stands.

The province says the facility won't have a roof for the field, but that it will be built so one can be added later.

Mosaic Stadium, with its bench-style seating, is structurally sound but it is also one of the oldest buildings in the Canadian Football League. It was originally built as a rugby field in 1910 and has been renovated numerous times over the years.

Under the memorandum of understanding announced Saturday, the $278 million required for the stadium will be funded through an $80 million grant from the province, along with $73 million from the City of Regina, a news release from the Saskatchewan government said. The Roughriders will raise $25 million.

The news release also says the province will provide a 100-million loan to the city, to be repaid with interest over 30 years. It says the loan would be primarily repaid through a $12 facility fee on games and major events held in the new stadium.

Work on the design for the new facility is still taking place.

Construction is scheduled to begin in 2013.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/2012/07/14/roughriders_new_stadium/

·
In mourning
97,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Roughriders welcome new stadium

By ROB VANSTONE, Leader-PostJuly 15, 2012

Darian Durant hopes the Saskatchewan Roughriders’ new stadium, to open in 2017, will include a significant link to the old facility — namely the starting quarterback.

“I just hope that I can be the starter when that comes up,’’ Durant said with a smile. “That’s going to be an exciting day. If you guys (in the media) don’t run me out of town, hopefully I’ll be right here.’’

Durant, who has been the Roughriders’ full-time starting quarterback since 2009, will turn 35 during the 2017 CFL season.

By then, the community-owned team will have moved into a 33,000-seat, open-air stadium that will replace Mosaic Stadium — where the Roughriders defeated the B.C. Lions 23-20 on Saturday.

Shortly before kickoff, news of the new facility was announced to the crowd by Premier Brad Wall, Mayor Pat Fiacco and Roughriders chairman of the board Roger Brandvold.

“The Riders are very proud to have Mosaic as our home and we’ve always stayed focused on improving our fan experience, as we’ve done again this year,’’ Brandvold said during a Saturday morning media conference at Evraz Place. “But over the years, we have never given up on the idea of a new stadium.

“While it may have appeared that the challenge was getting too great, the board of directors and senior management always kept the goal at the top of the priority list, and today is an outstanding day. We’re getting ’er done.’’

The Roughriders are to contribute to the funding of the $278-million facility in three ways. Most notably, they will be involved in the repayment of a $100-million loan that the Province of Saskatchewan has given to the City of Regina. The loan is to be repaid over 30 years.

To generate the $100 million, the Roughriders are to raise their facility fee to $12 per ticket in 2017. The fee currently sits at $8.

Brandvold said in an interview Sunday that the fee could increase, perhaps to $10, in advance of 2017. He is confident that an eventual hike to $12 will not be a drag on ticket sales.

“I think it’s doable,’’ he said. “If we were going from zero to $12, I think it would be a much bigger concern. But going from $8 to $12, I really believe Rider Nation will understand and appreciate what they’re getting for that additional $4 — to sit in the new seats, individual seats, much bigger seats. There’s the new technology, and some of the ideas around a fan-covered facility and closed-in concourses. It will be so much different from where we are today.’’

The Roughriders are also obligated to provide an additional $25 million via naming rights, sponsorships and contributions from the team’s coffers. The team plans to launch another share issue. Fans might be able to purchase a brick that includes the donor’s name.

Once the stadium is in place on the Evraz Place grounds, the team is to spend another $15 million to complete the locker room, offices, training facilities, store and other components that are used exclusively by the Roughriders.

Those upgrades will assist the Roughriders when it comes to issues such as player retention, according to head coach Corey Chamblin.

“The Riders are a first-class organization, and we strive to do that on the field and off the field,’’ Chamblin said. “I’m very pleased that we took the next step to solidify having a stadium so that when guys come in, hey, they want to play.

“We can do it either kind of way. It doesn’t matter if (the stadium is) leaking or not leaking. At the end of the day, you want it not leaking.’’

Read more: http://www.leaderpost.com/Roughriders+welcome+stadium/6937630/story.html#ixzz20lC5mbxq

1 - 5 of 5 Posts