Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's quite amazing that almost any interchange is a roundabout. Often with one road going over or under. This saves some lands and slows down the traffic. It decrease the number of serious accidents while some roundabouts have problems with lighter accidents.

However, while roundabouts is great replacement for traffic lights, when traffic volume is low, is they really good to serve as an interchange between two motorways? Perhaps they are since they take up less space than flyovers.

So while there's both ups and downs, isn't the main reasons to why roundabout interchanges just because it was invented in Britain? Britain is also very trendy, so while the roundabout trend hit the rest of the world, it hitted much harder in Britain?

I think roundabouts are greats, thanks for inventing them! Great for low volume traffic. But when it gets 3 lanes, traffic lights and gets longer than 100 meter in diameter, I think that it's advantages compared to other interchanges decrease a lot. It simply slowdown traffic, gets congestion problems and generate more accidents.

Cheers!

G

·
To be honest I hate them, seems whenever there is a new junction created it has a roundabout which just isn't needed. The smaller roundabouts are also a pain in the arse for buses and lorries to get round.

Near where I live there is a roundabout where two busy dual carriageways meet along with a couple of side roads. At peak times it can take you up to ten minutes to get onto this roundabout. Annoyingly the problem could be easily solved by using some of the available land to build a flyover for one of the dual carriageways.

Also those roundabouts with dissappearing lanes can be confusing, if you hesitate just for a split second you can end up going down the wrong road.

May sound strange but I often prefer traffic lights to roundabouts - they at least have some sense of organisation about them. If they work properly they can often get traffic through much quicker then roundabouts can.

·
actual gherkin
13,931 Posts
The painted roundabouts are quite funny, I just drive straight over them. The big ones are much better and I'd have roundabouts over traffic lights anyday. I don't think there's a problem in the world roundabouts can't solve... somewhere along the line.

·
Viking
1,078 Posts
I like roundabouts, but for a non-UK person like me coming to London and drive here, a roundabout is THE most confusing thing you'll ever come upon on the road. Like it's not bad enough having to use left hand for gear shifts :)

I'm sure those of you that have driven outside of the UK have the same experience.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The painted roundabouts are quite funny, I just drive straight over them. The big ones are much better and I'd have roundabouts over traffic lights anyday. I don't think there's a problem in the world roundabouts can't solve... somewhere along the line.
I agree.. but whats the point with big roundabouts that have traffic lights? I think that roundabouts is great, but not for every interchange. I like small roundabouts with little traffic, but when the traffic increase, more accidents happens and even the widest roundabouts get congestion problems.

Dublin is going to replace some roundabout interchanges on it's ring road because they can't handle the traffic.

·
Better To Do Nothing
10,500 Posts
I hate the large roundabouts with traffic lights on them...not just on the entrances, but also on the roundabout its self....it kind of defeats the purpose.

But also it makes things incredibly tricky, you have to look behind you, next to you, and in front of you all at the same time - otherwise its all too easy to go sailing through a red light. I'm a new driver though, so i'm assuming it will get easier as time goes by :yes:

·
2,231 Posts
well some roundabouts do cause huge traffic jams, one where I live was almost constant delays, Auchenkilns Roundabout in Cumbernauld, it was replaced last year by a junction.

G

·
well some roundabouts do cause huge traffic jams, one where I live was almost constant delays, Auchenkilns Roundabout in Cumbernauld, it was replaced last year by a junction.

They recently replaced a roundabout in Newcastle with traffic lights - works much better now. Unfortuantley they also created a series of unconnected bus lanes meaning buses have to keep switching lanes to get to where they're going :no:

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
I hate giant multi-laned roundabouts. Sometimes people drift from lane to lane, as do I sometimes. :D You just can't see quick enough which lane to be in and you end up getting cut up/cutting someone else up, and it's worse with roundabouts with traffic lights on.

:bash:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts