SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
hlubach bubach
7,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rovinj / Rovigno - Istrian peninsula - Croatia

ROVINJ, a town and port on the western coast of Istria, 36 km north of Pula; population 12,910. Its geographical location is very good: in the hinterland is the lowland part of southern Istria; in front of the coast are numerous islands and shallows abounding with fish. The town core developed on a peninsula, which had been a coastal island under natural conditions, and was connected with the mainland in the 18th century by levelling and filling up. Climate is Mediterranean; an average air temperature in January is 4.5 °C and in July 20.9 °C; an average annual temperature reaches 12.1 °C. Vegetation is sub-tropical. Rovinj has two harbours: the northern, which is more open, and the southern, which is much smaller and better protected. North of the old town core is the cove of Valdibora (Sjeverna Luka, Northern Harbour), and south of it the coves of Juzna Luka (Southern Harbour) and Vestar; the harbours are well protected from the bora and the sirocco, however they are exposed to westerly and south-westerly winds. In front of the coast are numerous islands, islets and rocks: Figarola (Figarola Vela, Big Figarola), Figarolica (Figarola Mala, Small Figarola), Sveta Katarina (St. Catherine), Banjole, a double island called Crveni Otok (Red Island - Sveti Andrija (St. Andrew) and Maskin), Samer, Sveti Ivan (St. John), Sveti Ivan na Pucini, Sturag, Pulari, Piruzi, Dvije Sestrice (Two Sisters), Montauro, Skolj Magaraca (Donkey's Shore) etc. Anchorage for larger vessels is provided 500 m northwest and 300 m southeast of the island of Sveta Katarina, as well as 600 m southwest of the islet of Banjole. Ships drawing up to 5 m may dock along the wharf of the Northern Harbour (filling station); a buoy in front of the wharf is provided for large vessels (sea depth 20-24 m). The Southern Harbour has a jointed breakwater. Vessels drawing up to 5.5 m are berthed on the outer side, while those drawing up to 3 m may dock on the inner side; along the wharf are berths for sports boats and smaller yachts. Economy is based on farming, viniculture (malmsey), fishing, food-processing industry (fish cannery, production of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks), tobacco industry and tourism. In Rovinj is also the Maritime Research Centre of the Ruder Boskovic Institute. The regional roads Rovinj - Rovinjsko Selo and Rovinj - Bale connect the town with the main road (M2, E751) Slovenian border - Buje - Pula.

Rovinj :

Streets of Rovinj :

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
Thanks Bubach! :)

I was wondering what was next off our "Croatian menu".

Excellent pics.

Anyway, get your pics together of the Croatian islands Mr Bubach. You can give me a hand with my yearly "Summer is coming - Croatian islands" photo bonanza which I do for SSC. :)

·
Monkey business
3,539 Posts
Rovinj is an excellent town! Heck, what am I saying, the whole of Istria is gorgeous!

What I find funny is how Rovinj and Piran (Slovenia) are mixed up a lot.. then again, they are pretty similar:
Rovinj, Croatia:

Piran, Slovenia:

And to add to the confusion, Primošten, also in Croatia:

·
Digue-le-Bois
1,133 Posts
Yeah Rovinj! A very nice town, in wich I was lucky to spend my summer holiday three years ago. Nice people over there too!

·
I come in peace \V/
11,252 Posts
very nice, I am alredy packing my things, lol...

very nice town.

·
hlubach bubach
7,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SinCity said:
Thanks Bubach! :)

I was wondering what was next off our "Croatian menu".

Excellent pics.

Anyway, get your pics together of the Croatian islands Mr Bubach. You can give me a hand with my yearly "Summer is coming - Croatian islands" photo bonanza which I do for SSC. :)

No problemos, I have put them all together already, but let's do the entire Istrian peninsula first, there's a lot of places that need to be explored ;)
And a little bit later we can start moving to even more romantic south :)
:cheers:

·
Registered
908 Posts
Rovinj. You have no idea how many times I have sat looking across the water towards Rovinj and found the place astonishing. Its an amazing place for a wonder, swim, etc. Thanks for the pics!

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
More pics of Rovinj .....

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts

·
Cosa dire cosa fare
3,439 Posts
Oow thank you guys. How I like Istria ^^ What's the height of the church tower? The one in Vodnjan is the highest of Istria, isn't it?
In 2003 I went to Istria with the Antwerp Cathedral Choir. We did concerts in Medulin and a little village east of Medulin (I don't remember the name). By visiting Rovinj we didn't sing there, but in Porec we did. We only visited the south and west coast regions, I hope soon to see the east coast and the inner country of Istria, to see were I'm going to live within a 45 years ;-)

·
otišao i neće se vratiti
6,736 Posts
^^^
Another lover of Istria ;)
I agree, Istria it is a beautiful country, especialy inner side, but properties are to expensive there. That is why I am going to spend my old age in central Bosnian mountains :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts