Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Suspended
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to the next edition of my rowhouse series. Baltimore is a true heavyweight of rowhousing. The city has both the raw numbers, and high quality to put it near the top of the heap.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Wow Herododuts

One of the best photo essays that I have seen on these forums! I recognized a lot of the shots but I wish that you had put the locations after the photo because I didn't recognize all of the locations. Baltimore really developed the concept of the rowhose more so than any other East coast city and your photo's are very illustrative of the differect styles and periods rerpresented in the city. Pity that I didn't see the row that I grew up on which is on Charles Street between 29th Street and 30th Street facing Wyman Park. I have seen photos of that block in several internation architectural magazines with reference to rowhouse architecture. :banana:

·
6,961 Posts
Awesome photos, hero. It is quite a diverse collection. Personally, I prefer the style show-cased in the second- and third-to-last photos (as well as sprinkled throughout the entire). They tend to be slightly taller and more ornate, usually sporting a peaked, rather than a leveled roof. The rest of the rowhouse styles in Baltimore I could give or take. They don't do much for me. The one trait that really despise about rowhomes is that they typically have blank sides that are sometimes not even of the same color as the rest of the house. it just looks ugly to me. Anyway, nothing ugly about these photos though. Great job.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Great pics hero. Having all my family between dc and boston, it felt different going into other cities in the country and seeing how much different the housing stock was. Baltimore and the other northeast and mid-atlantic cities really have some gems and are a lot better off b/c of the rowhome stock.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Holy cattle! Those are fantastic pictures. I think you had every type of rowhouse shown (colonial, georgian, romanesque, italianate, second empire,.....). Great stuff!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Amazing that I haven't lived in Baltimore for more than 6 years and know where almost every single one of those shots was taken :)

We do remember the good things in life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts