Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm french and I'd like to know what are the differences between Rowhouses, Townhouses and terraced houses ?

·
Suspended
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Terrace is the British term for what Americans call rowhouses. Real Estate people now use the term townhouse, to refer to any recently built rows.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Are even buildings as tall as 4-5 floors called rowhouses?
Usually in europe rowhouses is single family housing i think.

·
Member since Sept. 2004
582 Posts
were most of the town houses in the first half of the pictures on manhattan island? Because I love some of those 4 storey townhouses in the first pics. But if I lived in a town house or row house like those I would want to be in manhattan.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Again, amazing pictures. I loved your Baltimore series as well. You said you did Chicago. Where are those posted? I don't really think of Chicago as rowhouse kind of town...or perhaps they don't call them rowhouses there. In chicago I see a lot of residential buildings that look like these (same era as well), but they're slightly detached from each other. Perhaps that little fire they had back in 1871 caused them to rethink that building type.

·
Suspended
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The first shots are indeed from Harlem. A lot of the pics are from Manhattan, but there are quite a few from Bed-Stuy, and Park Slope in Brooklyn.

The Chicago pics can be found here:

Chicago Pics

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Please tell me the next time you come to NYC, herodotus.

·
~ Mysterious Entity ~
4,865 Posts
Incredible variety! There r even some variations there I don't think I've ever seen before...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts