Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 516 Posts

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
Mo, I took a drive to Rusternburg the pas sunday morning. I was so dissapointed that the place looks dead. I mean the only thing happening there is the expansion of the road from Sun City to Phokeng. Phokeng is the Bafokeng place, the richest ethnic group in South Africa. There are very few tar roads around Phokeng and I never saw any place of entertainment. I wonder what's in store for 2010?

I expected far way more than I say. Phoken is far way smaller than Soweto and the Bafokeng company could have constructed tar roads and build people proper houses by the way that Bafokeng Tribe's company is owned by all Bafokeng people and only a hanful of the re benefiting. I was expecting to see a Soweto like place, well the stadium is in very good conditions.

I'm crossing my fingers that in 2009 we should see a different Phokeng.

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mo, I took a drive to Rusternburg the pas sunday morning. I was so dissapointed that the place looks dead. I mean the only thing happening there is the expansion of the road from Sun City to Phokeng. Phokeng is the Bafokeng place, the richest ethnic group in South Africa. There are very few tar roads around Phokeng and I never saw any place of entertainment. I wonder what's in store for 2010?

I expected far way more than I say. Phoken is far way smaller than Soweto and the Bafokeng company could have constructed tar roads and build people proper houses by the way that Bafokeng Tribe's company is owned by all Bafokeng people and only a hanful of the re benefiting. I was expecting to see a Soweto like place, well the stadium is in very good conditions.

I'm crossing my fingers that in 2009 we should see a different Phokeng.
so whats the litter situation like ? :)

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
lol, well by the taxi rank is bad, but as you know North West is very dry this time of the year.

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rustenburg
Royal Bafokeng (R147,4m upgrade) -construction starts in June this year and will be complete in December 2008. Currently consultants have been appointed for project and tenders are being prepared

At the Royal Bafokeng stadium there are plans to increase seating by 5 000 seats. Included in the upgrade is a new electronic score board, stadium lighting, a public announcement system and media centre. Construction on the stadium is expected to start next year and is expected to be completed by 2009.

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ROYAL BAFOKENG SPORT PALACE - Offical 2010 Venue

Royal Bafokeng Sports Palace which is situated in Phokeng, a village just 15 km outside Rustenburg is the true home to soccer. This well maintained stadium has hosted a number a of high profile matches, including the finals of the now defunct Rothmans Cup.

* The Royal Bafokeng Sports Palace is a 2010 FIFA World Cup official venue
* The stadium has the best pitch supported by high quality drainage system
* The playing surface is suitable for different weather conditions
* It is the home of PSL team, Silver Stars
* It has 40 000 maximum seating capacity, ablution facilities and hospitality suites that can accommodate 320 people
* 500 parking bays available with extra space to accommodate more motor vehicles especially during big games
* The stadium is equipped with floodlights that maintain the highest quality for televised night matches
* Television camera platforms are suitably positioned for broadcasting
* The stadium boast a synthetic track
* An Olympic size swimming pool, Tennis, Netball, Volleyball, Basketball Courts and state of the art Fitness Centre
* The stadium is easily accessible from the N4 motorway

·
Banned
503 Posts
There is no artist impression on how the stadium will look like after the uprades?

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
I just hope tat they gonna improve the surroundings, that will also benefit the people of Phokeng.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Martsbra; said:
How do you pronounce "phokeng"?
Im sorry thats brilliant!
My phonetics is bad but let me try. the Pho is pronounced like the Po in Polar while the keng is pronouced much like teng in Gauteng except with a k of course. Right Pule? I am shangaan so my tswana is very scanty.

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

From the Sunday Times image:

1. The roof will be removed
2. Additional seating will be added above the top row, which uses a cantileve system and floats above the edge of the stadium
3. A new roof will be added but this did not appear in the sunday times graphic.

Not a bad view from the stadium.

·
Banned
2,975 Posts
man that stadium is ugly....i prefer another stadium than that one....looks like a practice stadium.

·
Banned
2,975 Posts
big mo will the roof cover the whole stadium?

1 - 20 of 516 Posts