SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
8,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Growing press speculation across the world.

Inline to be King and Queen of Canada

The announcement of their engagement is said to be imminent. And the pair, both 28, were inseparable yesterday at the marriage of their friends Harry Meade and Rosemary Bradford in Northleach, UK

Reports that a plaster mould has been created from which the coins will be struck in gold and silver were not denied by the Mint when approached yesterday after a Sunday newspaper printed alleged details of the plans.
A source told the Mail on Sunday that he had seen the mould at the Mint's plant in Llantrisant, south Wales.
Dave Knight, head of commemorative coin at the Mint, said: "Like most businesses, we look forward and plan ahead for potential opportunities.
"Were Prince William and Kate Middleton to announce their engagement, we would certainly like to produce a commemorative coin to mark this happy occasion.

Speculation is mounting that Prince William and Kate Middleton will marry next year – and could become the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

The couple’s formal engagement will be announced early in 2011 followed by a summer wedding, according to reports from royal insiders in national newspapers.
The day could also be declared a national holiday. The couple, both 28, have been together for more than eight years.
On the morning of the big day the Queen is likely to announce new titles for the couple – possibly the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, it has been reported by a royal source.
Speculation over the wedding has been mounting for months. Bookmakers William Hill stopped taking bets on a 2011 wedding and will now only give odds on the month. William and Kate met at St Andrews University in 2001.

·
Yes. No. Potato?
3,023 Posts
Quick before he's bald!

·
Banned
8,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Speculation is mounting that Prince William and Kate Middleton will marry next year

The couple’s formal engagement will be announced early in 2011 followed by a summer wedding, according to reports from royal insiders in national newspapers.
The day could also be declared a national holiday. The couple, both 28, have been together for more than eight years.
On the morning of the big day the Queen is likely to announce new titles for the couple – possibly the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, it has been reported by a royal source.
Speculation over the wedding has been mounting for months. Bookmakers William Hill stopped taking bets on a 2011 wedding and will now only give odds on the month. William and Kate met at St Andrews University in 2001.
But a spokesman for Clarence House said: “Only Prince William and Kate Middleton know what their plans are and anything else is just speculation

·
Administrator
79,194 Posts
I have no kingie or queenie. They are figureheads on paper, coin and pictures at best. I bow down to no human being

Pip pip, cherrio, tea and crumpets and such.
Go get your passport, and have a look at the front cover. If it says "Canada" on it, then I am sorry to inform you that you do have a Queen. You don't have to bow to her, but wishful thinking does not change reality!
ps. If your mental image of the UK is tea and crumpets, you may have been watching too many old Mary Poppins movies! hehe....

·
WP-Professional Troll
650 Posts
Go get your passport, and have a look at the front cover. If it says "Canada" on it, then I am sorry to inform you that you do have a Queen. You don't have to bow to her, but wishful thinking does not change reality!
Exactly; figureheads! Kingie and Queenie don't do a damn thing for me except take my money. They are a waste of space and oxygen. They have no value for this country. They do nothing for Canada. I hate to say it, but the US does more for Canada than Kingie and Queenie.

The sooner the monarchy is abolished, the better.

·
Administrator
79,194 Posts
Well, it is something that is at least tangible and here in the real world and a genuine part of our Canadian history. Seems to me I remember you have a staunch religious figurehead belief and were most insulted when anyone disagreed with that outlook. Maybe different people have different ideas and should all be respected as such. :yes:

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Exactly; figureheads! Kingie and Queenie don't do a damn thing for me except take my money. They are a waste of space and oxygen. They have no value for this country. They do nothing for Canada. I hate to say it, but the US does more for Canada than Kingie and Queenie.

The sooner the monarchy is abolished, the better.
It's cheaper than having a president.

·
Registered
104 Posts
They are a waste of space and oxygen. They have no value for this country. They do nothing for Canada.
Really? I think they add a lot to a cultural identity that is seen by many to be lacking.

Long live the Queen!

·
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґ&#4
5,767 Posts
Doesn't she have to be from noble background? Or did they toss that out long ago?
I'd imagine they got rid of that rule when they realized they had all become a bunch of inbreds.

Really? I think they add a lot to a cultural identity that is seen by many to be lacking.
How do they impact our culture at all? They're completely irrelevant outside of political matters (and even then, not really).

·
Build 'em Duke Style
72 Posts
i don't see how monarchy contributes to anything these days. What i don't understand is how could this royal family earn so much respect from the people? Oh yea i know how! walking around countries to countries, visiting places and looking like you're concerned about everything makes you a great person. this whole "royal" shit (excuses my explicit language) is completely worthless to society these days. It only brings back memories of the persecution and humiliation people have received from these greedy people.

·
Registered
104 Posts
How do they impact our culture at all? They're completely irrelevant outside of political matters (and even then, not really).
It's more about how they have impacted our culture and identity.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts