Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
I only buy it for the pic
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Sunday Mail quoted a storey this morning about a potential 6 star hotel of up to 50 storeys to replace the existing Royal on the Park. The current owner (some sultan with stacks of cash) is planning the projecy and is apparently miffed at Devine's attempt on the opposite corner (Carrington 6 stars at 50ish storeys)

Sounds like not a bad idea to group a nmber of flash hotels facing the botanic gardens however I am unsure how either of these proposals at the stated heights will get through council re shadowing issues.

Still, just adds to the boom!

·
Registered
811 Posts
I was just about to post something on this also - actually I did but it went missing into cyberspace somehow. I posted it in the skybar section, edited it and said "wrong thread" then went to post in QLD section and it didn't show up.

Good to hear though, hopefully he'll have so much money he will bribe his way to approval...........

·
I only buy it for the pic
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definately 50 storey in the Sunday Mail.

Maybe it will be "slimline" to escape shaddowing issues though bribes may work!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yeah sorry, I think it is 50. I wasn't sure at first so I made up some shit. For some reason in my head I thought it was 70 but as soon as I saw Brisvein's thread I knew I'd fucked up.........

·
Registered
811 Posts
^^
Im serious:) I read it early this morning. By the time I got home tonight I thought I'd post it and for some reason the number 70 stuck in my head. As soon as I saw the other thread I knew I was wrong.

Im embarrased now:nuts:

·
26,689 Posts
With the new City Plan, the height won't be an issue with regards to shaddowing. This lot would be almost entirely shaddowed by Vision's shaddow. Visions shaddow also reaches the river, so it could be an issue, but not necessarily.

Wow imagine if both go ahead! Australia would only have 3x6* hotels and they would all be within a 100km distance of each other!!!!

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
The Sultan of Brunei is always in Brisbane.

Constantly with his private jet in and out of Brisbane Airport.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Sunday Mail (QLD), 27-05-2007, Ed: 2 - State - Main Country, Pg: 013, 223 words , NEWS
ONE of the world's richest men is considering building an opulent ``six star'' 50-storey hotel overlooking Brisbane's City Botanic Gardens. Plans for the futuristic hotel are on a central business district site owned by the billionaire Sultan of Brun...
Thats all I can get off of News Text.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
What level of service does a 6 star hotel offer over a 5 star one?
Is there actually such a classification or is it just marketing hype?

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
there have been alot of proposals ive noticed lately for 6 star hotels.
One in Adelaide, overseas ones.

I dont think its official?

·
Mackay Alumni
1,099 Posts
^^ A '6-star 'refers to a Luxury hotel that offers accomdation and service quality beyond conventional 5-star rated hotels... so yeah, marketing hype if you like. I've stayed in a number of 5-stars and also the Versace on the Gold Coast though, and there are big gaps in terms of service and facility quality.

Isn't that underwater hotel in Dubai classed as 7-star??

·
Registered
927 Posts
I don't think much of the Versace on the Gold Coast. Gianni Versace had some good taste however, that hotel is a let down.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Great news

I worked here one summer about 10 years ago when it was called the Brisbane Parkroyal and I have 2 things to say, 1. extremely poor utilisation of land/space, and 2. shithouse hotel.

For example, my hyundai has a better air-conditioning system than the entire hotel's grand ballroom!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts