Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Well it's not entirely off the mark. If we keep building suburbs and sprawl it's likely people will stay lonely as suburbs are designed to allow people to stay away from crowds and activity...
High density urban areas with many areas for social contact such as laneways are a good idea.

·
En travesti
510 Posts
What is meant by the article is that households are becoming smaller and single-person households in particular are growing very quickly. The article does state that it doesn't necessarily mean that people are lonely as such, but they certainly live in increasingly solitude home environments.

I find this trend very sad.

Well it's not entirely off the mark. If we keep building suburbs and sprawl it's likely people will stay lonely as suburbs are designed to allow people to stay away from crowds and activity...
High density urban areas with many areas for social contact such as laneways are a good idea.
I think you're mistaken. Life in high-density inner city highrise environments are usually more lonely since the number of single- or two-person households are high and neighbours rarely speak to each other. Suburbs are more likely to be inhabited by families and neighbours who actually talk to each other.

I'm personally an inner city high-density dweller for all my life so I know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
I'm in a low density suburb and people do most certainly not ever talk to each other... If anything people go to great lengths to avoid dealing with each other. Families that drive to the shopping centre and drive to school friends, or take a train to the city. But rarely acknowledge neighbours existence.
Sure there is a lower amount of single person households, but there is less contact and exposure with strangers and neighbours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.