SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Proud Victorian!
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23813608-662,00.html

THE Opposition has labelled PM Kevin Rudd's plan to establish a new Asian Pacific institution by 2020 as "presumptuous".

Mr Rudd wants to lead debate on the creation of the institution that would be similar to the European Union, and sit along side APEC and ASEAN.

Opposition foreign affairs spokesman Andrew Robb criticised Mr Rudd for trying to fast-track the idea, and said Australia needed to build up its credentials in the region first.

"His (Kevin Rudd) first job is not to be making pronouncements about grand architecture for the region, telling China, Indonesia and Japan and India how they will be organised as a region by Australia in the next 20 years," Mr Robb told ABC radio.

"It is a little bit presumptuous.

"Once he has demonstrated a capacity to build and maintain and grow strong bilateral relationships with all these countries (and) repair the damage he has already done with some of these countries, then we can ... maybe influence the broader architecture that shapes the region."

Mr Rudd wants the institution to span the entire Asia Pacific, including the United States, Japan, China, India and Indonesia.

He put forward the concept during a speech to the Asia Society AustralAsia Centre last night, just days before he heads off a week-long visit to Japan and Indonesia.

Former foreign affairs secretary and one-time ambassador to Indonesia, Richard Woolcott has been assigned the job of selling the idea.

"I believe it is time that we started to think about where we want to be with our regional architecture in 2020," Mr Rudd said.

"We believe that we need to anticipate the historic changes in our region and seek to shape them, rather than simply reacting to them."

Mr Rudd believes the institution must engage in broad dialogue, cooperation and action on economic and political matters, as well as future challenges related to security.

"The purpose is to encourage the development of a genuine and comprehensive sense of community whose habitual operating principle is cooperation," Mr Rudd said.

"The danger in not acting is that we run the risk of succumbing to the perception that future conflict within our region may somehow be inevitable."

^^ I'm in favour. If we are able to have a communal currency like the Euro it will certainly help tourism and other business opportunities.

There should also be a competition as to which city should be the so-called capatial (as Brussels is to the EU) but Rudd has probably already earmarked Brisbane! :|

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
I find this whole proposal for a regional institutional design so fascinating. So i did an essay on it last year whether ASEAN can replicate the success of the European Union.

It turns out that it is almost impossible to do at this current global politics due to following reasons:
  • No states want to surrender its national sovereignty to a higher institution
  • There is a lack of existing institution to bind the states together
  • Due to the sovereignty issue, enforceability of dispute resolution is impossible
  • Majority of economies in ASEAN are developing economies
  • Freedom of migration and trade will be very contentious issues
  • Uniformity of Euro style currency and to maintain its integrity will be difficult

Here is my paper:
http://www.miliux.com/ASEAN & Regionalism.pdf

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
Rudd's biting more than he can chew. It took Europe countless regional and continental wars since the 18th century to come where it is now. He's not as dumb as this idea for sure.

·
Meh...
641 Posts
Yeah this is a bullshit idea. We've been trying to get a seat at the ASEAN+3/East Asia Forum with limited success. We already have APEC which is a talk fest and involves most of the countries being mentioned here anyway.

If Rudd wants a regional body he should look at increasing the South Pacific Forum and concentrating on our immediate neighbours.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Rudd is a tad idealistic with this one.

Including the U.S in this union = Forget it.

Single Currency = not likely.

I would love to see regional free trade.

·
Watch my Chops
6,035 Posts
Without the USA it would have no balance. Will the US concede any of their sovereign rights? Never.

·
Crazy young doge man
2,697 Posts
so the american president would become the australian president?

·
Meh...
641 Posts
Like it or loathe it, Australia is geographically apart of Asia. Political integration with Asia is envitable.
Some form of integration is desirable for us...but I'm not sure its inevitable. Its hard enough to get China and Japan to meet, let alone agree on any form of shared politics. Market forces are pushing everyone closer though...

Then add the US, India and whoever else Rudd is talking about and the whole thing gets crazy. This is a waste of time. If Rudd wants to continue Keating's dream then just keep working on the Chinese to get us involved with ASEAN, China, Japan and Korea.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Some form of integration is desirable for us...but I'm not sure its inevitable. Its hard enough to get China and Japan to meet, let alone agree on any form of shared politics. Market forces are pushing everyone closer though...

Then add the US, India and whoever else Rudd is talking about and the whole thing gets crazy. This is a waste of time. If Rudd wants to continue Keating's dream then just keep working on the Chinese to get us involved with ASEAN, China, Japan and Korea.
I don't really believe in an ultimate union as such--- I just believe Australia's integration with Asia is paramount to our future.

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
I don't really believe in an ultimate union as such--- I just believe Australia's integration with Asia is paramount to our future.
Couldn't agree more.

LOL @ MinnesotaTwin bringing out the old Nicholson cartoon about Keating's big picture.

I'll tell you what, I'd far prefer a PM who has a vision for Australia in the region and the world, than the great miniaturist, John Winston Howard.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Couldn't agree more.

LOL @ MinnesotaTwin bringing out the old Nicholson cartoon about Keating's big picture.

I'll tell you what, I'd far prefer a PM who has a vision for Australia in the region and the world, than the great miniaturist, John Winston Howard.
Vision? I'd prefer a PM who is grounded and has a grasp of the practicalities of running the country, instead of some overactive bunny coming up with his silly little ideas every other week. This guy is an unmitigated disaster - nothing but symbolism over substance.

My favourite is the solar panel rebate debacle. Far too many solar panels were being built and installed! I mean, we still want a fair bit of CO2 going into the atmosphere, right? And CO2 reduction by wealthier families is not as important as those less well-off, right? All this after Krudd's Enviro-rhetoric.

What a puff-pastry or is that Dagwood Dog?) PM.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Somehow I think the only things China, Japan, India etc want from us are coal, iron ore, gas etc. Not sure if they want our advice on how to run their country (especially when we have a PM who can't run ours).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts