SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Matt Giteau a Wallaby has become the highest paid sportsmen out of any of the footbal codes in australia(AFL, NRL, Union) with him confirming he will be joining the new S14 team the Wester Force(Perth) next year to a 3 year contract worth $4.5 million.

Massive contract this 23yr old is sitting on, his not even the best Rugby Union player in the country, theres now fears this could mean a blow out in contracts.

This is how Rugby Union contracts work in Australia.

Basically all four teams Reds, Waratahs, Brumbies and the Force get funding from the ARU every year, with this they have a mutual agreement that they will pay there players $110k/year contract each, then depending on how good he is and his worth to the national team(Wallabies) the ARU will top him up accordingley, a set contract($50-$300k) and the sum of $11'000 ever game.

This is how is usually works
Club Contract: $110 000
per game contract: $11 000(13 games, $140/year roughly)
Set Contract(ARU): $500'000
overall contract=$750'000/year

But to add more incentive lately some clubs have been offering more for there set contract, $250 000 and also throwing in third part contracts worth up to $750'000, so giteau is getting all the money stated above and $750'000 in third party sponsorships, all at the age of 23!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Just think, rugby is just getting started in the professional era. Wait another decade when you will have a Victorian side in the SANZAR comps and a 2nd tier provincial comp. with massive salaries. The RL world won't be able to compete.

The NRL will become like what the SANFL, WAFL or VFL are to AFL.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
^^^^^^^^^

More like the violins are warming up for your league! :fiddle:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Rugby league has been professional since the 1890s and is going backwards in every nation where it is played.

Looks like Mark Gasnier is coming on board the rugby union express.

Who is next? Billy Slater, Sonny Bill, ...... ????????

·
Registered
251 Posts
BobDaBuilder said:
Rugby league has been professional since the 1890s and is going backwards in every nation where it is played.
Leave it alone mate? If you dont like the sport why all this interest in it? Why even bother checking and posting in the NRL thread? LOL

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
This is a union thread right? I love union.

Ideally I'd love to strengthen the Wallabies to have a real shot at winning the World Cup next year and where better to get top class "rugby" talent than the NRL?

·
Registered
251 Posts
BobDaBuilder said:
This is a union thread right? I love union.
This is a union thread and yes i was interested in coming in to check it out.

I didnt realise you were interested in the NRL though?

You must be an in the closet RL fan ;)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
^^^^^^^^

I'd be a HUGE fan of the NRL if they adopted rugby union laws. The return of the prodigal son.

·
Banned
481 Posts
Living in Melbourne all my life, and being an AFL man, never realised there was so much competition between the 2 rugby codes until i started reading all about it on these forums.

I personally prefer RL because it is an easier sport to follow. Everyone knows the team in possession gets 6 tackles and the object of the game is to score a try or make up as much ground forward as possible, so on the last tackle, if they don't look like scoring a try, they kick it forward and usually high and hope the opposition defence knock on or fumble so try and get another six tackles.

In RU, it is a little more technical. No 6 tackles, but alot of kicking to touch, alot of scrums, alot of penalties given....it is a game where an error or mishap can really punish a side. And it is a frustrating game to watch. Like I said, I'm used to AFL, so when I'm watching RU, just as you see all players fighting for the ball, and you start to get into it, one of the players will emerge with the ball and alot of the time they will kick the damn thing out to touch.

Just my preference.

·
Premium Member
9,521 Posts
Rugby Union is good when it is flowing, and it has excelent internationals. But some matches are real snore-a-thons, penalty after penalty, kicks every time, etc. The Northern Hemisphere teams are the worst for this.

First thing I would do to improve rugby is to lessen the points you get for penalty and field goals, and also tell the referees to use their power to sin-bin constant rule breakers, they are too lax at present.

Bob, all this talk about RL falling apart, seriously have you been to Qld or NSW during the football season?

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
please, even when Union has a shit 12 months they are still powering along, QLD where the team is a bottom feeder for the past few seasons has been having record growth.

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
BobDaBuilder said:

Looks like Mark Gasnier is coming on board the rugby union express.

Who is next? Billy Slater, Sonny Bill, ...... ????????
Sonny Bill plays for New Zealand. They have like 2 sets of All Black squads that can own the Wallabies anyday.

I don't mind union, it is more "football" than league. I just hate the kicking out of touch, the international matches are more intense though, which I love

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Some points raised:

Amaruu: you will find if you are from Victoria and used to AFL you will find rugby union a lot more similar to what you are used to. Rugby league is kind of similar to grid-iron and quite formulaic like one-day cricket by comparison to union. This is just my opinion and of course if you are a lifelong league supporter you may see it differently. I think if you were to choose between playing league and union you would play union because, like Aussie Rules there are so many more dimensions to it that to league.

Yes, the internationals are the thing that makes union special. Club and provincial level is not as interesting.

To ignore the threat from rugby union would be folloy for the NRL. At the moment union is limited by the amount of cash it can spend on players salaries. But in just 10 years they have gone from amateur to paying the highest amount for any Australian "footballer". The ARU will be always casting the eye over RL talent and it will only increase. Blind man Freddy can see that coming.

As for Sonny Bill, yes he plays for NZ in league. But in Union he could play for us. He qualifies as an Australian. Another example of this was a Kiwi league player, Henry Paul, who was a star for Wigan for years who switched to union as an England player. I think he plays for Gloucester now in the English Premier union comp.

·
Registered
251 Posts
BobDaBuilder said:
Some points raised:
I think if you were to choose between playing league and union you would play union because, like Aussie Rules there are so many more dimensions to it that to league.
I played Union for 6 years in high school, went to a North Shore private school.

I prefer playing League. Much more fun.. but its personal preference!

·
Registered
251 Posts
They interviewed Matt Giteau on the footy show and had a segment on him.. so i dont see a grudge there? The two codes can exist side by side.. just like basketball and hockey can!

They also went down to Melbourne for street talk ... it was hillarious! Noone had a clue what they were on about.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Dunno why NRL complains too loudly that people in Melbourne have no idea about RL down here. It is not as if they have lifted the slighest finger to actual promote the sport in Victoria. I have never seen in my entire life so little coverage or promotion of RL in my living memory. In the 80s you would get a game on the ABC from Sydney, morning highlights and another match on commercial tele live on the Sunday arvo.

The NRL thinks it is on Foxtel so pubs etc will show matches. Here is a news flash for you. The average pub in Victoria will show a re-run of Blankety Blanks or the racing from Warnambool before they would ever show an NRL game.

The NRL should just move the Storm to Gosford and forget Melbourne. They have done nothing down here to deserve Melbourne's support. At least with the Swans and Lions the AFL insists a lot of its matches are on FTA at reasonable times.

Was ANY Storm match on FTA at all last year in Victoria?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts