Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wales

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
I need to find myself
5,223 Posts
Dan Carter won it, showed why he is the greatest fly-half.

S

·
0 Posts
I so wish I was in NZ right now to share in the festivities, All Blacks forever, so proud of my boys :colgate:

·
7,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
All Blacks are just at another level to any other country when they are on form. Credit to the Aussies for putting up a great fight though.

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,136 Posts
^^
In fairness, Australia had a much, much tougher path to the final than NZ. In the end, they looked like they had just run out of gas.

I actually think there is very little between these teams these days - except at Eden Park - Australia really needs to break that hoodoo.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Yeah i tend to agree, i don't think New Zealand are on another level compared to the Wallabies, New Zealand were rightful winners on the day, but there isn't much separating the two, Cheika has done a great job to restore pride in the jersey.

·
7,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
^^
In fairness, Australia had a much, much tougher path to the final than NZ. In the end, they looked like they had just run out of gas.

I actually think there is very little between these teams these days - except at Eden Park - Australia really needs to break that hoodoo.
Did they?? France and SA are both much harder teams than Scotland and Argentina, and you only controversially scraped past the former. And Argentina is arguably at the same level as both Wales and England nowadays (only just dropping back to 5th behind Wales after their loss to SA). NZ's knockout stage games were against better teams than what the Wallabies faced. Regardless of that however, that's just the nature of the RWC setup. They unfortunately pick the pools years out from tournament when teams can be at completely different rankings to when the tournament actually kicks off.

I agree that Australia has an innate ability to step up against NZ more than any other side, but if you look at the last 20 or so game between the two, when Australia wins its normally by no more than 3-5 points...when the ABs win it's anywhere from about 7 to 30 points. So much more significant victories.

·
7,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
All Blacks have climbed as high as 94.5 in the past..
If the All Blacks beat the Springboks then there position will improve, there is a formula behind the rankings, and beating the 3rd ranked team in the world will see the AB's improve.
You're right, it's finally gone up. Ending on 96.10 points after the final.

NZ - 96.10
Aus - 89.33
SA - 87.66
Wales - 83.49
Argentina - 82.59
Ireland - 81.17
France - 79.77
England - 79.77 (lowest ever position for them)
Scotland - 77.94
Japan - 77.05 (highest ever position for them)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yes I agree too an extent that it is close - the best chance for the Wallabies to win back the Bledisloe is 2016. Some current match-ups (talking about the final) NZ still has superiority, e.g. second row, half-back, flyhalf and centres.

"In fairness, Australia had a much, much tougher path to the final than NZ." I don't really buy into this - tougher pool, yes; tougher path, not really. Remember NZ had the Argies first up, they came fourth and were probably better than both Wales and England. Tonga and Georgia I think were comparable to Fiji.
To the knock-outs, the scoreboard shows that the French were dealt with severely. However, I think they showed more skill and ability than the English did in their game against the Wallabies. That All Blacks performance will be remembered as the most complete and perfect for at least a decade - they were sublime that day. This was followed up by a hard-nosed bokke team that were very physical. Australia had Scotland in the QF which was probably their worst game of the tournament and continued to let Scotland with a chance. A tough semi against the Argies who were very good but not as physical as South Africa.
Australia are lucky to have Michael Cheika because this continued attitude that Australia have it tougher and the refs are against us is nonsense. The Australia media and commentators are the culprits here, they have no impartiality.
Though I did think that Greg Clark did do a fine call in the final as did Tim Horan. I am usually a fan of Rod Kafer, but his call that Ben Smith should have received a red card was a bit ott.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Did they?? France and SA are both much harder teams than Scotland and Argentina, and you only controversially scraped past the former. And Argentina is arguably at the same level as both Wales and England nowadays (only just dropping back to 5th behind Wales after their loss to SA). NZ's knockout stage games were against better teams than what the Wallabies faced. Regardless of that however, that's just the nature of the RWC setup. They unfortunately pick the pools years out from tournament when teams can be at completely different rankings to when the tournament actually kicks off.

I agree that Australia has an innate ability to step up against NZ more than any other side, but if you look at the last 20 or so game between the two, when Australia wins its normally by no more than 3-5 points...when the ABs win it's anywhere from about 7 to 30 points. So much more significant victories.
Looks like we had the same view at the same time :cheers:

·
Registered
641 Posts
You're right, it's finally gone up. Ending on 96.10 points after the final.

NZ - 96.10
Aus - 89.33
SA - 87.66
Wales - 83.49
Argentina - 82.59
Ireland - 81.17
France - 79.77
England - 79.77 (lowest ever position for them)
Scotland - 77.94
Japan - 77.05 (highest ever position for them)
And Aus also lost a number of points - margin has opened up. I'm really starting to think that the hype over Ireland has been a bit over done - they were well beaten by the Argies.

·
7,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The Irish had been talking themselves up ever since the 6 Nations. They need to get better depth in their squad to be able to cover injuries like they had, and be less focused on how high they're ranked and more on getting the job down week to week. Ian Madigan is at schoolboy level compared to Sexton.

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,136 Posts

This is simplistic. The French game was a farce. France did what France often does - runs up the white flag when the going gets tough. The South African game was hard and was a good and necessary hit out for the Kiwis. Otherwise you can't seriously contend that Australia didn't have a much harder lead in? Georgia, Tonga and Nambibia? Really.

I think the All Blacks deserved the win and are a better team but I think the gap has closed a lot. Not bad for the fourth ranking football code in Australia.

·
7,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Did you actually watch any of the games or are you basing your assumptions on the past history on the tier 2 teams??

Georgia and Namibia in particular played very well this RWC and have improved greatly since last time.

·
I need to find myself
5,223 Posts
First Nic White, now Matt Toomua. At this rate, overseas-based players may even be stronger than Wallabies XV.

·
Registered
546 Posts
:sleepy: I had a vivid dream last night about the World Cup...
In the dream our wallabies were 'on fire' topping the group and going all the way to the final, but unfortunately my dream ended with the all blacks celebrating a third World Cup. :yawn:
:rofl:

All seriousness it was a superb World Cup both on field and off, 10/10 to England and Wales! :cheer: :applause:

Congradulations to New Zealand on winning the World Cup (first time a side has successfully gone back to back and first side to win 3)! After totally dominating for the last 4 years their win is 100% fully deserved! :bow:

Respect and congrats to the wallabies for the way they played during the World Cup and for he way they never gave up in the final when the score was 21-3. Don't worry boys the dawn of the wallaby domination I think isn't far. :cheers:

Commiserations and congradulations :naughty: on the English team failing to reach the knock out stages at the own World Cup, first host nation to do so. :bash: :lol: :picard:

41 - 58 of 58 Posts