SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 627 Posts

·
✖✖✖✖✖✖
1,774 Posts
I don't think so.
Well, in case of Baltics it is true, especially when talking about Jewish cemeteries, after the war most of them were levelled down here. Not surprising though, people who ruled in that immoral system had lost any sense of humanity.

·
Banned
2,580 Posts
Synagogue in Liberetz/Reichenberg, destroyed by nazis and replaced with Regional Scientific Library and Reconciliation Building (2001).

before

after

·
Banned
3,543 Posts
'Nederlands Theater' at Antwerp, Belgium by architect Pierre J.-A. Dens :

Replaced by this thing, I don't even want to know the architects name... :(

That's really sad!
It should be reconstructed!

In my city, Buenos Aires the situation is far worse! No war, nor earthquake, no ruins, and everything was destroyed with no reason but speculation.

At least 20 theatres where destroyed, 3 of them for more than 2400 people.

·
Bike It!
22,033 Posts
Same in Belgium. There was not a lot of damage during the Second World War, but after the war lot of architectural pearl were destroyed bacause of speculation and bad urbanisation.
This is a very, very sad example:

The art nouveau Volkshuis/Maison du Peuple, a masterpiece of our famous architect Victor Horta, was destroyed in 1965 and replaced by the ugliest and most hated tower in Brusses, the Blaton/Sablon Tower...

:bash:

·
LIBERTINED
46,651 Posts
^ Argh, please stop it! :(

The Kaiserpalast was one of my favourite historicist buildings all across Europe.

There are so many saddening examples to be found in Germany, since the war, communists and post-war planners/architects left their excrements nearly everywhere..

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
5,051 Posts
These ones are to cry for!

Belgian Coast in the past, if it was still here the coast definitely would be one of the most beautiful coasts in europe!!

These pictures show how it is right now :/only ugly boxes.. sadness ...

Its just like a huge wall ..
:(

·
LIBERTINED
46,651 Posts
Well, Oostende is indeed a pretty sad sight. But luckily some bigger parts of the old town survived, apart from the old spa hotels and homes at the promenade.

1 - 20 of 627 Posts