SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this posted on an Everton message board tonight, thought I'd pass it on:

"I have got it on very good authority that Everton will definitely be moving to a new stadium built by Peel Holdings at the Clarence Dock (the site of last summer's and this summer's Summer Pops). It is a fait accompli but after previous debacles the club are keeping it very tight-lipped. Expect an announcent by the end of this year. Don't know what the financial arrangement is (rent it forever or buy it back over time). The MDHC have been bought by Peel who now want an anchor tennant for the development of that area of the docks. Ideally they want a ground share but there is no chance of that unless owenership changes at Anfield. Peel won't hang around forever so it looks like we'll be down there on our own. Handy for town, handy for trains too. The other site out in Netherton was a total red herring.

Believe me."

Anyone on here heard any whispers on this?
Lets hope it's true :cheers:

·
Banned
1,293 Posts
eyeam said:
I saw this posted on an Everton message board tonight, thought I'd pass it on:

"I have got it on very good authority that Everton will definitely be moving to a new stadium built by Peel Holdings at the Clarence Dock (the site of last summer's and this summer's Summer Pops). It is a fait accompli but after previous debacles the club are keeping it very tight-lipped. Expect an announcent by the end of this year. Don't know what the financial arrangement is (rent it forever or buy it back over time). The MDHC have been bought by Peel who now want an anchor tennant for the development of that area of the docks. Ideally they want a ground share but there is no chance of that unless owenership changes at Anfield. Peel won't hang around forever so it looks like we'll be down there on our own. Handy for town, handy for trains too. The other site out in Netherton was a total red herring.

Believe me."

Anyone on here heard any whispers on this?
Lets hope it's true :cheers:
This has been around for about 6 months. Peel have been talking to Everton that is for sure, but a site at Switch Island was mentioned recently, although many thought this was to tempt the reds into a stadium share at Central Docks – how Switch comes into that ruse I don’t know.

All this poster is saying is that is more real than what it was. There have been many rumours of where Everton are moving to over the past 10 years: Kirkby Golf Course (the council stopped that), Bowring Park, Garden Festival site, Vauxhall, Garston Docks, Kings Dock was real but the club's amateurism screwed that up (thank God, a stadium there?).

Clarence Dock is not in the right place for a stadium – there is greater potential for apartments, retail and commerce there, with Stanley Dock being nearby. A stadium will overpower the immediate dock and waterway area - also it will only be used about 25 to 30 days a year. It will be just a large building in the way. Over the Dock Rd at Vauxhall, yes, that is where one should be.

I assume Peel want the stadium to be used for large pop concerts too. Even so, a large station, with the throughput to take away the bulk of 55,000 or more, can be built nearby and Waterloo tunnel reactivated to bring in outsiders directly to the stadium and have park and ride at Edge Hill – park up and take the train through the tunnel.

Anything to do with Everton and stadia I will not believe until they play their first game in it - Kings Dock was a near certainty with press spreads and models and all the rest. The club is very poorly run for such a big club. Very poor.

BTW, Everton said they would only move to an "iconic" stadium. Probably just wind by the club, as that is all they have come up with in 10 years.

·
Banned
1,293 Posts
bluesnapper said:
The 'Switch' site comes about because Peel now own land there.
That's right. How and why Peel ended up with that land I can't recall. But if they wanted a shared stadium I still can't see how the Switch site would temp the reds - it is not even in Liverpool. Unless they saw Everton going their own way and would have to jump in bed with them as the cost of their rather bland effort would be too much for them.

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Can you confirm what area of land Peel own at Switch Island?
To me Stanley Dock seems a bad place to put a stadium - a 3 sided site with limited access. Also Switch island seems a funny place aswell - Dunnings Bridge Road is a nightmare at the best of times. There is that large site that was earmarked for an Ikea and the Rolls Royce site but where else could you fit a stadium?

·
Banned
1,293 Posts
The Longford said:
Can you confirm what area of land Peel own at Switch Island?
I recall they had land either side of the roundabout.

To me Stanley Dock seems a bad place to put a stadium - a 3 sided site with limited access. Also Switch island seems a funny place aswell - Dunnings Bridge Road is a nightmare at the best of times. There is that large site that was earmarked for an Ikea and the Rolls Royce site but where else could you fit a stadium?
Clarence Dock is only accessible from one side, the Dock road side. A station is easy to build nearly and as I said the Waterloo tunnel can be used for a park and ride at Edge Hill. Edge Hill parking can be used for LFC as well, as there was talk of uprating the station near to Anfield on the circle link line.

Trafalgar dock is filled in, well semi filed in as a small canal is still there. This can be easily excavated and a canal has to be there anyhow to take canal boats to Stanley Dock from Canning Dock. If they wanted the Trafalgar Dock to stay filled in for the stadium, the canal would need to be besides the river wall and they would need to act pretty soon.

I hope this stadium does not materialise at this site as there are plenty of suitable sites for a stadium in Liverpool.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Longford, it's land at the junction of the 57/58,not actually dunnings bridge rd,that's been mooted.As long as we stay in the north end i don't mind where it is.

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
the golden vision said:
Longford, it's land at the junction of the 57/58,not actually dunnings bridge rd,that's been mooted.As long as we stay in the north end i don't mind where it is.
Thought that was Green Belt land? Small matter for the likes of Peel though.
All you 'north enders' wont like it but i think the old Speke airport seems like an ideal site to me. Cream wouldn't be happy but perhaps they could hold Creamfields in the new stadium!

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
The Longford said:
All you 'north enders' wont like it but i think the old Speke airport seems like an ideal site to me. Cream wouldn't be happy but perhaps they could hold Creamfields in the new stadium!
I think Cream are moving over to Warrington anyway.Wouldn't want Speke though.

·
Banned
1,293 Posts
The Longford said:
It doesn't matter where it is. Switch Island is not even in Liverpool. A site opposite the old terminal building was suggested about 5 years ago for LFC, but retail has been built there now. It was at the side of the Liverpool/London line and masses of parking opposite at the old airport. The old airport site has been marked out as a comercial/industrial area. Jensen Sports cars are made there.

The council suggested Speke fror LFC and Garston Docks for EFC. Both are good sites with rail links. The Garston Docks site naturally would be more attractive being on the riverbank.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
i personally think garston/speke would have been ideal for both grounds (despite me having to travel 8 or so miles from my bootle home instead of the 2.5 mile trip to anfield that i presently have). one things for sure, everton must stay within the official city boundary. liverpool has lost enough (including half its population in 50 or so years) without losing one of its football teams.

·
Registered
9,187 Posts
John-MK said:
That's right. How and why Peel ended up with that land I can't recall. But if they wanted a shared stadium I still can't see how the Switch site would temp the reds - it is not even in Liverpool. Unless they saw Everton going their own way and would have to jump in bed with them as the cost of their rather bland effort would be too much for them.

They got the land because they bought the company (MDHC).

The old airport site is now a none starter because its now mostly taken up by a major business park.

I can't think of large many sites left that you could build a ground on.

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Oops - a quick google and it seems Everton had the same idea - Gilmoss was the prefered option back in 1997 it seems. I honestly didnt know it was even considered - great (?) minds think alike eh?
What happened to that idea - it seems an ideal spot (but i would say that wouldnt i seeeing as i thought of it first!!!!)

·
Fugly
11,294 Posts
I don't think we've heard the last of this Netherton story. Maybe not on Peel land, but on Evertons own plot. Everton own the former Littlewoods playing fields on the corner of Park Lane/Dunningsbridge, which is a substantial site capable of accomodating a football ground. The school adjacent (Netherton Park Primary) closes this summer, allowing posible takeover on that site, with road access on Atlantic business park (where the pointless traffic lights are halfway down Dunningsbridge). It's a 2 minute drive off the motorway network, 10 minute walk from Aintree station and 10 minute walk from that ever-so-impressive bus hub, the Marian Square.

Shite for pre match boozers though. Nethey is the only dcent pub within a 5 mile radius...

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Bunnyman said:
I don't think we've heard the last of this Netherton story. Maybe not on Peel land, but on Evertons own plot. Everton own the former Littlewoods playing fields on the corner of Park Lane/Dunningsbridge, which is a substantial site capable of accomodating a football ground. The school adjacent (Netherton Park Primary) closes this summer, allowing posible takeover on that site, with road access on Atlantic business park (where the pointless traffic lights are halfway down Dunningsbridge). It's a 2 minute drive off the motorway network, 10 minute walk from Aintree station and 10 minute walk from that ever-so-impressive bus hub, the Marian Square.

Shite for pre match boozers though. Nethey is the only dcent pub within a 5 mile radius...
Nice one Bunnyman.Didn't realise that site was that big,it's the site opposite Our Lady of Walsingham isn't it,the academy.Two good local boozers there,The Stand Park and the Eden Vale :) ever been in them? The Stand Park,is a bit,err rough.Took a bird from Walton in there once,she went the toilet and got battered,didn't see her again :)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts