Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
a.k.a. The King Arthur
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way to Rundāle today I stopped by Bauska castle ... so here are pics of two castles :)

For more info on Rundāle check their homepage: http://www.rundale.net

Bauska

Rundāle

Golden Hall

Main gallery

White Hall

I asmue it's here for a century at least :D

Rundāle Garden

·
Expert
933 Posts
rundale looks like a pretty castle... it made me think of varsailler or kina slott

what's upp with that bauska castle? they are rebuilding the ruin to it's forn glory? or are they just rebuildings parts of it to make a museum?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks for the pics. It's great to see that the works on the Rundāle palace and garden are ongoing. When I first was there in the late 80's the garden was just a plain field, with garden-side facade crumbling, and the stairs missing (the darker entrance stairs facing the garden).

Once the garden will be completely restored, with the fountains operational (notice the big hole in the ground in the pictures) it will be super-awesome!

Until the mid-seventies the Rundāle palace was used as a warehouse and dorms, the whole building was in miserable condition and falling apart, most of the riches were stolen or destroyed. Everything you saw in the pics above is a result of many decades of painstaking restoration and reacquisition of items on display.

·
commieblock enthusiast
452 Posts
This type of buildings don't impress me, although such place is nice to visit once and the whole area with gardens is beautiful.

But what really impressed me is this:

I very like the minimalism and emptiness here! It looks like there is a... silence from 150-200 years ago. Or... the silence that is understood only by the clouds above and by silent windows.

Also this view

looks very good, it is also like out of time, a corridor to the end of the time, but immediately reminded me this (in postive sense of course, because that is a good album, except last two songs):

·
a.k.a. The King Arthur
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About this pic:

As much as I and my wife understood and I hope it can bee seen in the pics the whole gate should be coveret with flowers but they haven't grown so big yet ... but when thei have it will be a green tunnel

·
15,845 Posts
Great Pictures. These Italians knew how to build and these Germans knew how to live in luxury.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts