·
Registered
77,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wow, faster then Asafa.

Gatlin breaks 100m record :runaway:
From correspondents in Doha
May 13, 2006

AMERICA'S Justin Gatlin set a new 100m world record at the Qatar Super Grand Prix overnight with a time of 9.76sec.

The Olympic champion bettered the old mark of 9.77sec held by Jamaica's Asafa Powell which was set in Athens last year.

The 24-year-old American, who clocked 9.85sec in the semi-final, was overjoyed by his record.

"I am very happy to have broken the world record," said Gatlin who is also world champion.

"I knew it was coming. This is my third time in Doha and it has proved to be third time lucky."

The record sets up what could be a fascinating season of sprinting.

Gatlin announced his intentions in his first race of the campaign when he clocked 9.95sec in Osaka in Japan.

He and Powell are due to meet at the Gateshead Grand Prix in England on June 11. Their last meeting was in London last July when Gatlin cruised to victory as Powell pulled up with a groin injury.

Powell was also forced to miss the world championships in Helsinki as a result of the injury.

100m - World record times since 1968
9.95 - Jim Hines (USA) 14/10/68 at Mexico
9.93 - Calvin Smith (USA) 03/07/83 at Colorado Springs (USA)
9.92 - Carl Lewis (USA) 24/09/88 at Seoul
9.90 - Leroy Burrell (USA) 14/06/91 at New York
9.86 - Carl Lewis (USA) 25/08/91 at Tokyo
9.85 - Leroy Burrell (USA) 06/07/94 at Lausanne (SUI)
9.84 - Donovan Bailey (CAN) 27/07/96 at Atlanta (USA)
9.79 - Maurice Greene (USA) 16/06/99 at Athens
9.78 - Tim Montgomery (USA) 14/09/02 at Paris
9.77 - Asafa Powell (JAM) 14/06/05 at Athens
9.76 - Justin Gatlin (USA) 12/05/0

·
Registered
77,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ i agree, the word 'wanker" comes to mind. how dare he treat the com games final as a warm down.he could of cracked the magic 10sec, so crowd would of seen the first sub 10sec in oz ever but he didnt even try. :bash:

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
Let's hope this guy is a fair dinkum 9.76 bloke, not some steroid taking loser. Congratulations to Gatlin

·
Registered
77,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ gatlins been around for a while. always around 10secs in his runs. black american are exceptional athletes. always have been.

·
Registered
77,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
good to see ross finally hit his straps.

Ross wins in a 'heartbeat' in Brisbane

The Telstra Selection Trials and 85th Australian Championships continued in Brisbane today with a sensational night of athletics highlighted by the fastest 100 metres ever run by an Australian in Australia.

A total of six A-qualifying performances were produced, six metres came within reach in the pole vault and Mark Fountain received a golden 1500m birthday present in a magnificent evening.

Josh ‘The Boss’ Ross set a personal best in the semi-final of 10.11sec,then again in the final with 10.08sec (+1.9m), and showed off his new dance, ‘the heartbeat’ to the delight of the screaming Brisbane crowd. “I always knew I could go that quick. I wasn’t concentrating on the time, I was just concentrating on my race and executing it and the time came,” he said.

Undefeated in Australian Championship finals, Ross has now proved he can run very fast when it counts, even after a false start, running the fastest time by an Australian on Australian soil. “This is a big boost to my confidence. In the past I have been making up the numbers (in international races), but it’s been a learning process and you have to be patient in this sport. I know I can mix it with the best in the world now.”

In a spectacular night of fast running, Patrick Johnson (10.21) and Adam Miller 10.17 (PB) both produced A-qualifying standards in their semi-finals. Johnson went on to win the silver in the final, with Miller taking home the bronze. When you add to the mix Ambroze Ezenwa who also has a World Championship A-qualifier but missed the titles due to injury, it appears the men will have medal prospects in the relay team for Osaka.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts