SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shanghai rural???

Yes!

Most (nearly all) pictures about Shanghai posted here are from downtown. But: certain areas of the Shanghai Municipality remain still rural.

Well, we had this thread: "Shanghai Suburb (Aerial photos, quite clear)" showing suburb aerials taken about 2003(?).
The pictures in my post date back to 2003 and 2004 and are groundlevel shots of outlying Shanghai districts. A map with the locations is included...

Let's start at Jiading District:

Jiading District 01

Jiading District 02

Jiading District 03

Jiading District 04

Jiading District 05

(Anyone called for beer?)

And now we move to Nanhui District:

Nanhui District 01

Nanhui District 02

Nanhui District 03

Nanhui District 04

Nanhui District 05

Nanhui District 06

Nanhui District 07

(Just because there are some tombs, that's no reason not to use this area?)

Nanhui District 08

Nanhui District 09

Nanhui District 10

And let's not forget the promised map:

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
good thread, nice pictures.

having tombs in fields is kinda scary for me, i know it's common in rural China, when you travel on trains in China you see tombs everywhere along the railways in rice fields. i mean what if you have to go to the fileds at night?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sen said:
good thread, nice pictures...
...i mean what if you have to go to the fileds at night?
Thank you...
...what happens? If you do not know your field (or your neighbour's) good enough, you might stumble over some tombstone <g>. The smallest one i have seen was just 20cm (8 inches) high.

·
&#8594;
3,423 Posts
ofcourse I could.. Brazil produces almost everything I need, except wheat, but that we can buy from Argentina.. ;)

·
28,639 Posts
Pretty interesting photos. Shanghai never ceases to amaze whether its the downtown photos or the suburb photos and now the rural pics.

Some of the houses look very western and fancy with attic windows.

How many districts make up Shanghai and just how large is Shanghai including all these districts and what's the total population of all these districts together?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Most of vegetables grow out from shit or urine, befor human know chemistry.
the air you breath may contain something produced when dead bodies were burn.

Who refuse to eat of breath?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Suncity said:
Pretty interesting photos. Shanghai never ceases to amaze whether its the downtown photos or the suburb photos and now the rural pics.

Some of the houses look very western and fancy with attic windows.

How many districts make up Shanghai and just how large is Shanghai including all these districts and what's the total population of all these districts together?
Shanghai has 18 districts and 1 county.

"Suburb" districts:

Baoshan District
Chongming County
Fengxian District
Jiading District
Jinshan District
Minhang District
Nanhui District
Pudong New Area
Qingpu District
Songjiang District

Also given in the map in my original post.

"Downtown" districts:

Changning District
Hongkou District
Huangpu District
Jing'An District
Luwan District
Putuo District
Xuhui District
Yangpu District
Zhabei District

Those make up the area i just marked as "downtown" in the above mentioned map.

Some people might want to beat me for putting Pudong into "suburb", but the largest part of Pudong New Area is suburb. The part of Pudong mostly seen in this forum is the Lujiazui Financial District, the most developed subdivision of the entire Pudong New Area. In the map above it is the part marked as "downtown" east of the Huangpu River. But don't be mistaken by it's apparent "smallness": It will take you about an hour to walk from the Pudong Riverside Park to actual suburbs with mostly residential structures (and at least 2 hours to walk to the nearest field).

The pictures from the Nanhui district were taken about 70 km from downtown!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Facial said:
Mind you, ALL soil is made partially of decomposed organisms...
but most of those decomposed organisms come from plants, insects or animals, not human bodies.

however, in my hometown people eats a kind of eel, which are often found in graves. Would you like to have a taste? :cheers:

·
Edmontonian
710 Posts
Excellent photos, they do a great job of capturing the real china arround Shanghai. There is one district near Shanghai (an hour's train ride out of Shanghai) where the houses try to emulate victorian mansions, I wonder why?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
howelee said:
but most of those decomposed organisms come from plants, insects or animals, not human bodies.

however, in my hometown people eats a kind of eel, which are often found in graves. Would you like to have a taste? :cheers:
After amusing myself quite a while with all those replies: The tombs in the picture do not contain bodies. They contain urns with the bones (and other remains) of cremated bodies.
So: there is no contact of the surrounding soil with the leftovers of a human being.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts