Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Intial Q?:
My question is what big plans have ever been thrown around for the 2nd level between Michigan/Wabash/Illinois/Chi-River. and what would you like to see done with it?

This space has me wondering. Why is it so underutilized? I have to guess there have been talks about developing and integrating this space. Has there ever been any concrete plans for its development?

This make a great place to deck over lower streets (which are facing nothing much more then parking garages and basements) and have a large plaza bounded by Michigan/Illinois/Wabash/and the River (or at least Hubbard). It is a space that is largely vacant even though it is has clear visibility right off Michigan Ave that has mini-plazas and suspended metal walkways leading to nowhere already. It could completely interconnect Wrigley/Trump Plaza/Michigan Ave/Wabash St. It could eventually have a downtown circulator entrance leading down to transit. There could be smaller specialty shops/resteraunts-cafes befitting of an intimate ped plaza that the city really doesn't have.

Two of the bigger issues if Lakeshore Aethletic Club on Wabash. That would have to go but it looks kinda dumpy on the outside at least. Maybe they could partner up with a developer or hotiler to incorperate a mix use high rise. The next big issue is the Nordstroms south wall that faces Illinois. Maybe they could do something with it or at least put the Northbridge Shops up tucked under lower Grand Ave to south Illinois decked side where they may get some more attention.

I am not sure if I am thinking akin to Union Sq S.F., Rockefeller Plaza, or what but it has great potential. But since Block-37 sems headed towards rather ho-hum results as a public gathering space space maybe this could be the next big attempt? It seems like it has all the potential.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I wish you had included a map and some photos of how it currently looks. But, I think you've proposed some solid ideas.

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lakeshore Athletic Club closing a location

via budman at SSP..

Looks like something may happen at this site quicker then I expected.

:D :applause:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=26002&seenIt=1

Lakeshore Athletic Club closing a location

(Crain’s) — The Lakeshore Athletic Club plans to close a downtown location Sept. 30, when its lease expires, according to a statement from the club.

The club was unable to reach an agreement to extend the lease with Wm. Wrigley Jr. Co., which owns the land at 441 N. Wabash Ave.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts