SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Countries | Region DRC | Rwanda | Burundi

Project Location Near Lake Kivu and the Ruzizi River at the border of Rwanda and the DRC

Project description A 145 megawatt run-of-the-river hydro-electric plant with three power units will be constructed

Total estimated Project Value USD 600,000,000 (+-), Start 2016-2020 -Completion

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
CEPGL Seeks to Fast-Track Production of 147mw At Rusizi III Hydro Project By James Karuhanga, 24 April 2014

Energy experts from Burundi, DR Congo and Rwanda are meeting in Kigali to fine-tune details in agreements that will see a mega joint hydro power project on River Rusizi start delivering 147MW of electricity in the next four years.

The project, under the Economic Community of the Great Lakes Countries (CEPGL), a three-member regional economic bloc, is expected to cost $644 million (about Rwf432 billion), according to preliminary studies.

It is being managed by experts of the Energy of the Great Lakes (EGL), the energy component of the CEPGL, who are working to wrap up negotiations on outstanding issues with a joint US-Kenya corporation, IPS-Sithe Global.

On the sidelines of their meeting in Kigali, yesterday, EGL managing director Alphonse Muyumba Kalenge of DR Congo told reporters that the US-based Sithe Global and Industrial Promotion Services (Kenya) were selected pursuant to a competitive international bidding process.

Eng. Muyumba said energy experts from the three countries are on a firm mission to deliver power to the three countries.

"We are determined because there is a serious power deficit in our countries. The rate of electrification is so low," Eng. Muyumba said.

"In Congo, it is about 9 per cent, in Burundi it is worse, between four and six per cent, and in Rwanda, it's about 17 per cent."

Feasibility studies started around 2007. Several companies were brought in, but negotiations with the two selected ones begun in 2012.

"We envisage that Rusizi III will start energy production by 2021. From now onwards we must first deal with the basics. Everything must be in order, such as the agreements that are likely to be signed in June between these investors and the member states. We are basically preparing the appropriate paperwork that will be signed by our ministers," Eng. Muyumba said.

Equally energy sharing:

On completion, the three countries will share the power equally, with each getting an estimated 49MW, said Eng. Claude Kayitenkore, the director of energy in EGL.

"We are now discussing the agreement that will guide sourcing of funds and the agreement that binds us together for the project to be delivered," he said.

Eng. Kayitenkore said the investors have previously presented suggestions on how they wish to work together.

"These are the elements we have been discussing for a year and a half. We believe that currently, we are headed to a common understanding on important issues. One of the issues is about examining which donors will fund the project, and on what conditionalities," he said.

This is because it is the cost of the donor funding that will ultimately determine the cost of the power from the project.

While meeting in Bujumbura, Burundi, in February, CEPGL foreign affairs ministers committed to working together and devising means leading to better functioning of the Community.

Bujumbura's 24th ministerial meeting, among others, committed to supporting the construction of Rusizi III hydropower plant and adopted the regional Economic Programme for 2014- 2020.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I didn't graduate in engineering, so please don't laugh at me but hum... Why arn't they depicting the area supposed to be flooded by the dam? Or is it not a dam at all? #HavingaBlondMoment

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't graduate in engineering, so please don't laugh at me but hum... Why arn't they depicting the area supposed to be flooded by the dam? Or is it not a dam at all? #HavingaBlondMoment
EriquariuM I am far from an expert myself so I stand to be corrected but the river's power is legit, it already houses two hydro projects (Ruzizi 1 and Ruzizi 2). I believe the feasibility studies have been now been completed but I haven't come across any renders to show us graphical representation of what the development will look like. Remember this project involves 3 governments so I very much doubt it will be completed by the target date of 2020, decision making has been and will continue to be slow. Burundi and Rwanda are broke countries, DRC is a rich country with a very broke country mentality so money will be an issue too.

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,873 Posts
The river is between mountains and hills . I don't know if that makes sense
. I will post pictures of so you have an idea.

·
Registered
1 Posts

A run-of-the-river hydro-electric plant would not require an retention lake. The river current is used directly to action the turbines.

(Run-of-the-river hydroelectricity (ROR) is a type of hydroelectric generation whereby little or no water storage is provided. Run-of-the-river power plants may either have no storage at all, or a limited amount of storage.
Traditional hydro dams store enormous quantities of water in reservoirs, necessitating the flooding of large tracts of land. In contrast, most run-of-river projects do not require a large impoundment of water, which is a key reason why such projects are often referred to as environmentally friendly, or "green power."). Source: Wikipedia.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
EriquariuM I am far from an expert myself so I stand to be corrected but the river's power is legit, it already houses two hydro projects (Ruzizi 1 and Ruzizi 2). I believe the feasibility studies have been now been completed but I haven't come across any renders to show us graphical representation of what the development will look like. Remember this project involves 3 governments so I very much doubt it will be completed by the target date of 2020, decision making has been and will continue to be slow. Burundi and Rwanda are broke countries, DRC is a rich country with a very broke country mentality so money will be an issue too.

The World Bank recently put out $1 billion fund for infrastructure projects in the Great lakes region. I suspect that where some of the money will come from

·
Registered
13,567 Posts
Ruzizi III power plant: DRC, Rwanda and Burundi work to sign agreements soon

The DRC, Rwanda and Burundi signed Wednesday, May 30, late in the evening, the so-called Kinshasa declaration on the Ruzizi III regional hydropower project. The country of Lumumba was represented by the Minister of Energy and Water Resources, Ingele Ifoto. The Rwandan and Burundian parties were by their sectoral ministers, with one exception for Burundi, which also saw its finance minister make the trip to Kinshasa.

The three CEPGL countries declare that Ruzizi III is a solution to the energy deficit that limits the efforts of their socio-economic development and will also strengthen the energy cooperation between the three CEPGL states. Thus they pledged that the negotiations, led by the EGL, Energie des Grands Lacs, will lead to the upcoming signing of the Agreements. At the Kinshasa meeting, they reaffirmed their commitment to preparing and finalizing the framework for the upcoming solemn signing of the Project Agreements. These agreements should crown the end of the process of complex negotiations between the States supported by their national electricity companies and the private investor / developer. These negotiations, it is recalled, began on October 6, 2012.

With an installed capacity of 147 MW that can be optimized to around 230 MW, the Ruzizi III project is a hydroelectric project developed in public-private partnership that responds to the problem of an energy deficit that persists since 2010 in the three countries of the Economic Community of Great Lakes Countries.

Centrale de Ruzizi III : la RDC, le Rwanda et le Burundi travaillent à la signature prochaine des accords

La RDC, le Rwanda et le Burundi ont signé mercredi 30 mai, tard dans la soirée, la déclaration dite de Kinshasa sur le projet hydroélectrique régional Ruzizi III. Le pays de Lumumba était représenté par le ministre de l’Energie et des Ressources hydrauliques, Ingele Ifoto. Les parties rwandaise et burundaise l’étaient par leurs ministres sectoriels, à une exception près pour le Burundi qui a vu également son ministre des Finances effectuer le déplacement pour Kinshasa.

https://www.mediacongo.net/article-actualite-38865_centrale_de_ruzizi_iii_la_rdc_le_rwanda_et_le_burundi_travaillent_a_la_signature_prochaine_des_accords.html

·
Registered
13,567 Posts
DRC: Towards the signing of agreements on the "Ruzizi 3 hydropower plant" project

The Minister of Energy and Water Resources, Jean - Marie Ingele Ifoto has been authorized by the government to sign the agreements related to the Ruzizi III hydroelectric project. This express authorization was deliberated at the meeting of the Council of Ministers this Friday, June 8, 2018.

According to the minutes of this meeting by the Minister of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs), Bienvenu Liyota Ndjoli, the Minister of Energy explained to the members of the government the contours of this integrative project.

Indeed, the Ruzizi III project was conceived in the framework of the revival of the activities of the reinforcement of the cooperation between the member countries of the CPGL as well as in order to face the energy deficit which this region is confronted.

"He finally indicated the estimated cost of the components of the main package broken down into four points valued at 284 million euros," said Bienvenu Liyota interim spokesman for the government.

Project benchmarks

CEPGL's organization for Great Lakes Energy (EGL) is developing this 147 MW Ruzizi III hydroelectric project. It is set up as a public-private partnership and is one of the highest priority projects in the Great Lakes Countries, in accordance with their energy development plans.

Donors (such as KFW, WB, EIB, AfDB, AFD, EU) who are ready to grant the Contracting States (Burundi, DR Congo, Rwanda) concessional loans in order to make it more viable through a price acceptable to production (between 11 -13 cents USD / kWh). It should be noted that all the energy that will be produced by the plant will be purchased equally by the three national electricity companies (REGIDESO / BURUNDI, SNEL / DRC and REG / RWANDA).

The construction works lasted four years, from 2018-2022, and the construction cost is estimated at 629 million US dollars.

RDC : vers la signature des accords sur le projet « centrale hydroélectrique de Ruzizi 3 »

Le ministre de l’Energie et ressources hydrauliques, Jean – Marie Ingele Ifoto a été autorisé par le gouvernement à signer les accords relatifs au projet de la Centrale hydroélectrique de Ruzizi III. Cette autorisation expresse a été délibérée lors de la réunion du Conseil des ministres de ce vendredi 8 juin 2018.

http://zoom-eco.net/a-la-une/rdc-vers-la-signature-des-accords-sur-le-projet-centrale-hydroelectrique-de-ruzizi-3/

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Electrification Great Lakes Region, DRC Rwanda and Burundi start process with signing agreements Project Construction Ruzizi Regional Hydroelectric Power Plant 3 (147 MW). About £ 400 million in funding, of which 50% are European donors.

C'EST DU N'IMPORTE QUOI. CE TRUC NE VERRA PAS LES JOURS. C'EST DE LA MAFFIA TOTALE:eek:hno::eek:hno::eek:hno::eek:hno::eek:hno::eek:hno: LES INDOUS DU KENYA SONT PARMIS LES DONATEURS DE CE PROJET.
VOYONS VOIR LA SUITE. OU EN EST ON AVEC KAKOBOLA ET KATENDE?:eek:hno::eek:hno:LES BAYAKAS ET LES KASSAIENS ONT-ILS DEJA LEUR COURANT?:eek:hno::eek:hno::eek:hno::eek:hno::eek:hno::eek:hno:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts