Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Crazy young doge man
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.rjkoehler.com/2008/05/20/ryugyong-hotel-its-alive/

Recent visitors to Pyongyang have witnessed work ongoing at the site.

Construction on the 105-story hotel began in 1989 using French capital, but as North Korea’s economic situation took a turn for the worse, construction was halted in the early 90s.

This time, apparently, the North Koreans have swindled investment from an Egyptian firm to restart construction. Many worry, however, that the rusty structure — which hasn’t been touched for close to 20 years — cannot be completed safely.

Moreover, even if the building is completed, North Korea will have to decide how to use the damn thing.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=630537

·
Registered
62 Posts
Demolishing it or repairing it I wonder.

That building has always been an interesting conversation piece the way it was...I'm disappointed. And I also doubt there's anything of any value happening at all.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Dear Leader's annouced of completed glorious Ryungyong Hotel brings to the harmonous greatness of Korean Land ! I am pleased . :)
With gusto news reporter advises wonderous Korean masses of new project in wake of DPRK pleasing growth.

·
Crazy young doge man
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But honestly though, what is more important to spend money on?

Complete this building or help feed 1000's of starving koreans?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
:lol: Can you actually enter North Korea for tourist purposes. If you could, would you wanna go there? Leader Kim jon whatever, is on another winner here - finish a massive hotel to house all the thousands upon thousands of international visitors that flock to North Korea :lol:
Kim jon 2, Robert Mugabe, Burmese junta, where's a decent assassinator when you need one? :lol:

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
If it was not for the fact of moral guilt of money going directly to that Government-- I would love to travel to North Korea. I find it so facinating.

·
What a timeline we're in!
5,189 Posts
But honestly though, what is more important to spend money on?

Complete this building or help feed 1000's of starving koreans?
um, to finish this building? it is important! lol

If it was not for the fact of moral guilt of money going directly to that Government-- I would love to travel to North Korea. I find it so facinating.

that is true, i too would like to visit it.

does anyone have any renders of what the hotel 'should' look like?

·
Crazy young doge man
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The thread in the international section

·
Crazy young doge man
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well it does have trees growing out of it!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would LOVE to go to North Korea. All that monumental architecture and those colossal buildings look amazing. When I was in South Korea I thought the apartment blocks there were absolutely vast - marching off endlessly into the distance (a few of these in our inner cities would cure the housing "shortage"). Yet North Korea seems to have taken vast and monumental to new heights.

I feel quite sorry for north Koreans as their future in a united Korea will basically be as navvies, soldiers, housemaids and prostitutes to south Koreans. North and South Korea have one of the biggest per capita income disparities between neighbours in the world - about 20 times. East and West Germany was only 3 times.

I can't believe they're going to finish the Ryugong - it looks too dilapidated. One day South Korea is going to have to demolish it along with so much else and rebuild from scratch. No wonder they're pushing the Sunshine Policy - trying to delay the inevitable.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts