SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
It is consider VERY expensive... Even cities like Paris and London have cheaper fares.... Paris monthly fares is only 45 Euros which is equivalent to 90 Singapore dollars. Unlimited rides... whereas cities like London fares are more expensive for a single trip but very cheap on a monthly or weekly basics.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I guess all the money savings that the govenment give to the citizens will be donating back to them... money in money out... MONEY NEVER ENUF..

1,142 Posts
Even cities like Paris and London have cheaper fares.... Paris monthly fares is only 45 Euros which is equivalent to 90 Singapore dollars. Unlimited rides...
Actually in Paris, the price is 56€/month ($112) and you have unlimited rides indeed, but only in central Paris which would be equivalent to the CBD in Singapore. If you want to travel in the suburbs i.e. the whole network, like what the EZ Link cards offers, then you will have to pay more around 110€/month ($220)! (source: ratp.fr)

I must admit though that the rationale of this $170 card is rather strange, but overall, MRT is rather cheap in Singapore, at least compared to Europe or the US. I went to Taipei in Feb this year, and I recall it was slightly more expansive than Singapore for similar journeys.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I'm thinking of buying one for the convenience of not needing to top-up, however, the price seems a tad on the high side. If I could buy an annual pass for, say, $1000 or $1200 it would be much more attractive. I'll probably get around to getting a card linked to my account to automatically top-up.

·
Relax for Healthy Life
713 Posts
If the rationale to get this unlimited travel pass is the convenience of not having to top up cards regularly, I think it is not very convincing. Giro auto-top-up can solve this problem. :eek:hno:

·
Banned
7,907 Posts
As mentioned, the rationale for this card is the convenience of not having to top up the card regularly.

I'm think, as silly as EZ-Link and our transport operators might be sometimes, that they recognize, or looking at the system and studying transport patterns, have identified a group of people that are actually spending close to SGD 170 on commuting.

What I think they are really gunning for are people who need to commute across the island of distances 25 to 45km and above everyday, and may not necessarily have easy access to local currency, and therefore, have no access to using Giro or anything we might have taken for granted. I think, they are trying to attract the many JB-reans who cross the border everyday to travel to work in Singapore, and also poach traffic from the hugely successful Causeway Link CW crossborder services. I've seen many Malaysians who board the train at Kranji and Woodlands and travel to Boon Lay and/or Joo Koon and change to public buses to take them to work.

That's the only group of people I can think of who could benefit from this card. That and Singaporeans who live more than 30km from their workplace, and somehow stubbornly refuse to move closer to their workplace.

1,142 Posts
Well we most certainly don't have the extensive metro of Paris, and for S$170 it isn't unlimited train rides, and we don't work on a Euro salary. :)
Paris metro is extensive indeed... within central Paris. Try to travel to most of the suburbs with public transport in Paris, it is such a hassle. MRT and bus coverage of Singapore heartland is much better. I don't know if you ever lived in Paris, but I prefer the Singapore MRT quality by far to the French capital old system. Maybe because in Singapore it is more recently built, hence more modern and comfortable.

Moreover, you seem to forget, that despite individuals gets Euro salaries in France, they are taxed more than 50% in average! Moreover, the public transport in Paris is highly subsidized, as companies pay a tax for transportation, and people as well through their local tax. The published prices are thus not reflecting the actual price to pay for them. Transport price is a dramatic issues for those who live in Paris.

·
Registered
303 Posts
simply ridiculous. this is just an excuse for LTA to cover their ass if people complain that theres no unlimited travel pass for adults

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
^^ I think what you mean to say is that the value-for-money of this monthly pass isn't exactly very high. And it is more expensive than those of other international big cities around. That is the gist of what you're saying right? :)

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
No problem. We all do that at times.

I wouldn't by this particular pass simply because I don't spend that much usually. It would not be cost-effective for me and I'd end up wasting more money. As some have said, I'd rather top up $170 and use that instead if I wanted to save time topping up. I'm sure that they have a reason for releasing this new monthly pass, and if not, perhaps they'll learn to do more ground surveys before launching such things. Either way, I'm sure there'll be some sort of positive outcome.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.