1 - 20 of 1358 Posts

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SA mulls putting in bid for 2020 Olympics

July 27, 2009 Edition 1

Political Bureau

WITH multibillion rand stadiums across the country nearing completion, South Africa is considering putting in another bid to host the Olympic Games.

Sports and Recreation Minister Makhenkesi Stofile revealed this at a meeting in Soweto on preparations for the 2010 World Cup.

He said that the progress meant the country had more confidence in resubmitting a bid for the most prestigious international sports event.

In 1997 SA lost the final round of the bid to host the 2004 Olympics in Cape Town. Athens (in Greece) won the bid.

The Olympics have never been awarded to an African city. Durban recently indicated that it had its eye on the 2020 Olympics.

The city made its intention known by saying that the Moses Mabhida Stadium it was building for the World Cup was being constructed in a way that made expansion possible to accommodate 85 000 spectators for the 2020 event if needed.

Stofile's spokeswoman, Lerato Mogorosi, however, said yesterday that there had not been a decision on whether the country would put its name forward.

"The bid only opens at the 2012 Olympics in London," she said.

"It is not confirmed, but it is being seriously discussed by the South African Sport Confederation and Olympic Committee."

Mogorosi said the issue had not yet been put before the cabinet.

eThekwini's 2010 head, Julie-May Ellingson, said in April that Durban wanted to "be ready" for an Olympic bid even though it would be a national decision.

At least 40 percent of a host city's facilities must be in place before bidding.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
South Africa Considers Bid to Host Olympics, Business Day Says

By Vernon Wessels

July 27 (Bloomberg) -- South Africa may bid to host the Olympics after spending billions of rand building new sport stadiums for the 2010 soccer World Cup, The Star said, citing Sport and Recreation Minister Makhenkesi Stofile.

The government and the South African Sport Confederation and Olympic committee are discussing a bid, the Johannesburg- based newspaper cited Stofile’s spokeswoman, Lerato Mogorosi, as saying. Durban, on South Africa’s east coast, may be the host city, it added.

To contact the reporter on this story: Vernon Wessels in Johannesburg at [email protected]

Last Updated: July 27, 2009 01:39 EDT

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aw6lhgcPVvY0

·
Annman
6,950 Posts
South Africa Considers Bid to Host Olympics, Business Day Says

By Vernon Wessels

July 27 (Bloomberg) -- South Africa may bid to host the Olympics after spending billions of rand building new sport stadiums for the 2010 soccer World Cup, The Star said, citing Sport and Recreation Minister Makhenkesi Stofile.

The government and the South African Sport Confederation and Olympic committee are discussing a bid, the Johannesburg- based newspaper cited Stofile’s spokeswoman, Lerato Mogorosi, as saying. Durban, on South Africa’s east coast, may be the host city, it added.

To contact the reporter on this story: Vernon Wessels in Johannesburg at [email protected]

Last Updated: July 27, 2009 01:39 EDT

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aw6lhgcPVvY0
What are they doing about Durban's CBD? My mom just got back from there and was horrified at the city's centre and surrounds; dilapidated, dirty, scared and very disappointed were her words. However, she said the stadium looks absolutely amazing, Umhlanga is absolutely gorgeous and the weather, an absolute pleasure.

I think before Sutcliffe gets fired and something happens to the Durban city administration and management, Durban's core is not yet ready to host an Olympics. I will get shot down, but something in Durbs needs to change; And I think the administration is the problem! Isn't there something we can do to fix this city's CBD with tons of potential? :eek:hno:

There's nothing wrong with the setting, nothing wrong with the weather, nothing wrong with the stadium and nothing wrong with outlying areas.

·
Banned
2,975 Posts
if south africa bids it will win fo sho....if the world cup goes well without any problems....SA is capable of hosting the olympics...cape town or durban which ever.

Greenpoint should have been built with the olympics in mind just like MMS was built with the olympics in mind.

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greenpoint should have been built with the olympics in mind just like MMS was built with the olympics in mind.
80,000 seat athletics stadia are not the way to go.

If CT bids it would simply replace the old green point stadium at the same location or somewhere else with a capacity 20,000 seats.

·
Banned
2,975 Posts

If CT bids it would simply replace the old green point stadium at the same location or somewhere else with a capacity 20,000 seats.
I dont get 20,000 seats stadium. Anyways so if cape town bids you guys will have to build another stadium just like london is doing after building wembley stadium?

·
Registered
8,577 Posts

I don't think the word "simply" is apt here. The government and taxpayers will balk at spending another few hundred million to a few billion building or upgrading another stadium RIGHT NEXT TO the most expensive and overpriced stadium in the country (GP), or building the necessary supporting infrastructure (which is being put in place around GP for the WC) at another location. Even a "temp stadium" costing a few hundred million dollars will be decried given that another existing multi-purpose stadium (MM) would be easily capable of hosting such an event. Moreover, can you imagine the outcry of another major costly stadium being built in CT when GP would stand idle right next to it (if built at the old GP site)? Talk about redundancy (same arguments that apply to MM and ABSA Stadium in Durbs would apply here. The major difference is that ABSA is debt-free). Methinks even the die-hard CT supporters will find it difficult to justify such expenditure when a brand new purpose-built world-class stadium already exists elsewhere in the country (MM).

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think the word "simply" is apt here. The government and taxpayers will balk at spending another few hundred million to a few billion building or upgrading another stadium RIGHT NEXT TO the most expensive and overpriced stadium in the country (GP), or building the necessary supporting infrastructure (which is being put in place around GP for the WC) at another location. Even a "temp stadium" costing a few hundred million dollars will be decried given that another existing multi-purpose stadium (MM) would be easily capable of hosting such an event. Moreover, can you imagine the outcry of another major costly stadium being built in CT when GP would stand idle right next to it (if built at the old GP site)? Talk about redundancy (same arguments that apply to MM and ABSA Stadium in Durbs would apply here. The major difference is that ABSA is debt-free). Methinks even the die-hard CT supporters will find it difficult to justify such expenditure when a brand new purpose-built world-class stadium already exists elsewhere in the country (MM).
We've been through this. I've done my research. Go well.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
We've been through this. I've done my research. Go well.
Yes. Let's see what government decides. Our views are largely irrelevent, really. I will support CT 100% if it gets the bid, regardless of how disappointed I will be about Durban not getting it.

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont get 20,000 seats stadium. Anyways so if cape town bids you guys will have to build another stadium just like london is doing after building wembley stadium?
Yes, like London, like Chicago's proposal. Nobody needs an 80,000 seat athletics stadium.

Whether its built in Green Point, Wingfield, elsewhere, we need at most 25,000 seats for athletics. Any temporary seating to take capacity to 80,000 is covered by the OCOG not public money as part of temporary overlay.

This proposal would receive backing from WP athletics and support the DA's sports academy concept. Its something the city should be building with or without bidding for the Olympic Games. There is no suitably sized athletics venue in Cape Town for larger events or that supports athletes during training season.

The organization of the Games alone will cost R30 billion.
Infrastructure spend will likely need to top the R50 billion mark.
Venues in CT would cost the public R4.06 million (2009).

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
I would love to see Durbs hosting Olympics as it will help the metro interms of infrastructure development which it desparately needs.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Sorry guys, I'm not a big fan of the Olympics coming here - most of them have been a big waste of money. I also feel a little saddened by the fact that we can only get our act together and improve cities with the help of big sports tournaments ...lopsided thinking!

·
Banned
2,975 Posts
Yes, like London, like Chicago's proposal. Nobody needs an 80,000 seat athletics stadium.

Whether its built in Green Point, Wingfield, elsewhere, we need at most 25,000 seats for athletics. Any temporary seating to take capacity to 80,000 is covered by the OCOG not public money as part of temporary overlay.

This proposal would receive backing from WP athletics and support the DA's sports academy concept. Its something the city should be building with or without bidding for the Olympic Games. There is no suitably sized athletics venue in Cape Town for larger events or that supports athletes during training season.

The organization of the Games alone will cost R30 billion.
Infrastructure spend will likely need to top the R50 billion mark.
Venues in CT would cost the public R4.06 million (2009).
i dont think IOC will allow 25,000 seat just for the athletics....they would want it to be in the main bowl like it has been done for decades.
If south africa wanna host the tournament they should back durban because it has a ready built olympic stadium...it will also put durban on the map

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i dont think IOC will allow 25,000 seat just for the athletics....they would want it to be in the main bowl like it has been done for decades.
If south africa wanna host the tournament they should back durban because it has a ready built olympic stadium...it will also put durban on the map
I think you've missed the point.
25,000 seats permanent, the remainder temporary. see London Olympic stadium, see Chicago 2016 proposed olympic stadium.

CT doesn't need an 80,000 seat athletics stadium and neither does any other city in the world. CT does need a 20-25k athletics stadium whether or not we ever think about the olympic games.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Sorry guys, I'm not a big fan of the Olympics coming here - most of them have been a big waste of money. I also feel a little saddened by the fact that we can only get our act together and improve cities with the help of big sports tournaments ...lopsided thinking!
I agree. Whichever city does host will end up paying the debt off for decades to come.

1 - 20 of 1358 Posts