SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Sabah State Railway Development news

127509 Views 390 Replies 45 Participants Last post by  Rainbow_DASH

Sabah State Railway (SSR) is a railway system and operator in the state of Sabah in Malaysia. It is the currently the only rail transport system operating on the island of Borneo. The railway consists of a single 134km line from Tanjung Aru, near Kota Kinabalu, to the town of Tenom, in the Interior Division. It was formerly known as North Borneo Railway.

Locale Sabah, Malaysia
Dates of operation 1896–present
Track gauge 1,000 mm (3 ft 33⁄8 in) (Metre gauge)
Length 134 km
Headquarters Kota Kinabalu

The route
Main stations are indicated in bold.
Tanjung Aru
Putatan
Kinarut
Kawang
Papar
Bongawan
Membakut
Beaufort
Saliwangan
Halogilat
Rayoh
Pangi
Tenom

> http://www.sabah.gov.my/railway/
> http://www.northborneorailway.com.my/
41 - 60 of 391 Posts
When will they operate the new train sets?
Tanjung Aru-Kimanis Rail Rehab Project To Be Completed Next Month
June 11, 2010 14:22 PM
http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsindex.php?id=505263

KOTA KINABALU, June 11 (Bernama) -- Sector One of the railway rehabilitation project between Tanjung Aru and Kimanis is almost completed and is expected to be handed over to Keretapi Tanah Melayu Berhad (KTMB) next month.

In announcing this, Suria Capital Holdings Bhd (Suria Capital) group managing director Datuk Dr Mohd Fowzi Razi said the railway rehabilitation project comprises two sectors -- Sector 1 from Tanjung Aru to Kimanis (from Km3.9 to Km55.6) and Sector 2 -- from Kimanis to Tenom (from Km55.6 to Km139.7).

"Sector 1 was undertaken by Suria Capital and was placed under the supervision of its wholly-owned subsidiary, SCHB Engineering Services Sdn Bhd, while Sector 2 was awarded to Hikmat Asia Sdn BHd," he said in a statement.

Todate, work on Sector 1 has been 97.5 per cent completed, with work currently focused on level crossings infrastructure work, bridges foundation protection and hillslope improvement that are awaiting issuance of Certificate of Practical Completion (CPC).

Fowzi said the delay at Sector 1 was mainly due to a number of unforeseen additional work to suit site constraints which inevitably led to timeframe extension.

"Part of the constraints involve compliance to local authority requirements and delay in railway boundary reserve endorsement by local authorities," he said.

Meanwhile, the 27 level crossings along Sector 1, listed as legal by local authorities, will be equipped with standard safety protection systems that will include barrier gates, flasher lightings and gatehouses.

Fowzi said Suria Capital will also be involved in building certain sections of the service roads linking legal level crossings as ancillary roads serving nearby residents.

"Work will start once the utility poles are relocated by Sabah Electricity Sdn Bhd and Telekom Malaysia," he said.

With the completion of Sector 1, the railway service between Tanjung Aru and Kimanis is expected to resume soon," he added.

-- BERNAMA
Looking at the photos here, I still can't have a descent close up view of the interior of the new train sets. The only thing I can see are the seats, even that is somehow obscured by the window panel reflections.

My best guess, the train will function similar to KTM Komuter...for KK - Papar - KK route...

I hope I can try out this new service at the end of this year.
Photography by eMoJess

The site

Aeropod Train Station
Tanjung Aru

Project to transform the only steam locomotive in Malaysia to the modern train.
The project also upgrade the current train station in Tanjung Aru as transportation hub.

Kota Kinabalu International Airport (IATA: BKI). Main gateway to Sabah, Malaysia (North Borneo) Taken from a nearby ridge:
There was once when Russia was more backward than us......look at the high-speed train that they have now!
i never knew that we were ever more advanced than Russia? When was this period?
There was once when Russia was more backward than us......look at the high-speed train that they have now!
There is an explanation for this.

The Sapsan train (Siemens Velaro RUS), as you can see runs on an upgraded existing track which allows operation up to 250 km/h.

The key point is that they upgraded existing track, which is of 1,520 mm gauge, also known as broad gauge. It is possible to run Velaro because their track gauge is broader than even the standard gauge (1,435 mm) which is mostly used in other countries (Shinkansen or other high speed rail network such as TGV, ICE, AVE, THSR etc).

In our case, since our previous track is metre gauge (1,000 mm), and we do the upgrading project (double tracking + electrification, retaining the same gauge), trains can constantly travel up to 160 km/h, faster than speeds of below 100 km/h for most period of the journey.

If Malaysia had standard gauge (1,435 mm) built before say....electrified double tracking project (Padang Besar - Johor Bahru) which is considered as upgrade of course, then for sure, our railway line speed will be at least 200 km/h, as in the UK (limited by signalling).
Good point. But before anyone complains about Malaysia's railways, do remember that they were built for the movement of freight - mostly tin - and meter gauge is suitable for freight railways which do not have to move that fast.

being able to move freight at upwards of 100km/h (since a good portion of KTMB's train movements will be freight for a very long time) is a big deal too. :banana:

Cheers, m
There is an explanation for this.

If Malaysia had standard gauge (1,435 mm) built before say....electrified double tracking project (Padang Besar - Johor Bahru) which is considered as upgrade of course, then for sure, our railway line speed will be at least 200 km/h, as in the UK (limited by signalling).
Yes, they were built for the movement of natural resources, mainly tin (Perak).

Even the Sabah state railway was built in 19th century for the purpose of freight movement.

WCML alignment in UK is tighter and has more sharp curves than upgraded sections such as Ipoh-Seremban in Malaysia. However, 200 km/h operation is made possible in WCML because of tilting Pendolino train and earlier on, the WCML was built as standard gauge from the beginning.

Back to the Sabah state railway, i can see the potential for future, considering the population around Kota Kinabalu and also west coast is increasing. I hope one day, the track can be extended for future potential.
Good point. But before anyone complains about Malaysia's railways, do remember that they were built for the movement of freight - mostly tin - and meter gauge is suitable for freight railways which do not have to move that fast.

being able to move freight at upwards of 100km/h (since a good portion of KTMB's train movements will be freight for a very long time) is a big deal too. :banana:

Cheers, m
2 different colour scheme for the two trains?
Is the train in operation now from kk - papar? It was in the chinese newspaper yesterday
Railways built by our former british masters were built mainly to pillage our natural resources...so it is not oriented towards people movement!!

But no worrries, the British is going bankrupt :lol:..payback time and we'll see more of them become beggars with deep painful cuts into their welfare system which is as big as our annual budget!!!
I'm thankful they built it. Because I don't think the federal government would have.
Railways built by our former british masters were built mainly to pillage our natural resources...so it is not oriented towards people movement!!

But no worrries, the British is going bankrupt :lol:..payback time and we'll see more of them become beggars with deep painful cuts into their welfare system which is as big as our annual budget!!!
41 - 60 of 391 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.