Skyscraper City Forum banner
501 - 520 of 566 Posts

·
pistola916
50 Posts
Hi All,

I can see this page isn't the most active in comparison to the one I use in the UK, so I'm not expecting a quick reply on this.

I'm soon to be at University, studying Architectural Technology. The specific uni has a student exchange offer on, one being between my area Birmingham, England and Sacramento, CA.

This exchange would happen in 2-3 years time and is in no way a definite deal, as I believe the uni is looking at Istanbul and Perm.

Anyhow, I was wondering what are the best consttruction and architect firms over your way in Sacramento. The only one I know is Dreyfuss Blackford.

Thanks.
Go to Skyscraperpage.com. Then go to Forum, go down to Sacramento. I;m sure you'll get a response there.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
The Arena: New Renders, New Commitments

livinginurbansac,com

Framework for New Arena
Friday, March 02, 2012

In addition to this new rendering for the proposed arena in the railyards, the city has released the financial term sheet detailing the huge finical commitment the city will be making to lease the city’s parking operations for 50-years.

City Public Commitment: $255.5 million:

· $230 million parking monetization

· $18.5 million from land sales. (Estimated total value of land sales is $30.7million; however, the City has used conservative assumptions. So only $18.5 million is budgeted for the ESC in order to address variability of market conditions and to account for expenses associated with sale of the land.)

· $5 million Sheraton MOPA (for predevelopment costs under a public-private partnership)

· $1.5 million parking infrastructure fund(for predevelopment costs)

Capital Campaign (e.g., bricks, other) $3 million

Sacramento Kings $73.25 million

Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) $58.75 million

TOTAL $390.5million

The new arena plan includes a 30-year commitment from the Kings to stay in Sacramento, and a 30-year operating lease with AEG. All non-Kings events will be charged a Facility Fee of $1 per ticket. There will also be a tiered revenue-sharing plan that gives the city 15 percent of the first $10 million net operating profit from the facility, and 30 percent of the next $5 million of profit. The city would get 50 percent of all net profit after that.

The ICON-Taylor team has guaranteed to deliver a completed arena by September 2015 – in time for the start of the 2015-16 basketball season – and cost overrun protection, assuring the city of a $391 million final price tag. Taylor would build a $25 million adjacent garage with a combination of private funds and profits from a previous city/Taylor redevelopment project.

[...]
Looks like Sacramento will keep the Kings and get a spectacular entertainment venue too! :banana:

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Arena Debacle?

livinginurbansac

It looks as if U.S. Rep. Doris Matsui might derail the proposed new arena in the railyards shortly after Sacramento Mayor Johnson declared that the city is "on the verge of doing something very special." Her statement was made on where the proposed arena is planned and where the intermodal transportation center (ITC) was also originally supposed to be built.
In a SacBee Editorial: Don't build a big barrier inrailyard, Matsui draws attention to how the current arena plan might not work. Before the arena plans came to be, for ten years ITC was in the planning stages with both renderings and site plans released in the last two years. This current arena effort would toss out all those dollars spent and years planning the ITC. After reading the article, Matsui draws concern by emphasizing that the aim should be to create a well-integrated center of architectural and functional significance that has a strong sense of place. I heard that statement to infer that the new arena would greatly reduce the functionality of the transportation center using the current plans, thus putting Federal Funds in jeopardy to fund the ITC.
Looks like a looming turf battle between proponents of the massive new urbanist RailYards redevelopment and the new arena. Sray tuned but time is ticking for Sacramento to get an arean plan fully approved and financed...

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
LivinginUrbanSac

Arena Effort Dead

Saturday, April 14 2012

Yesterday Mayor Kevin Johnson admitted “Is the deal as we know it dead? Absolutely.” According to the Sacramento Press, The breaking point for Johnson, he said, was the Maloofs’ refusal to put up collateral for the city’s refinance of their loan. I personally can’t believe this was not in the agreed upon in the March 1st framework… but apparently it wasn’t. In addition, the Maloof’s also refused to pay $3.26 million in pre-development costs for a building they would not own. This doesn’t sound all that odd to me. Why as a renter of a new building (Maloof’s) would they also pay for the pre-development costs? Those costs are traditionally picked up by the owners which in this case would be the city.

[...]
Sad state of affairs when having to deal with the likes of the cheapskate Maloofs who busted out in Vegas. The NBA needs to wrest the Kings away from those loser clowns.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Federal Rehabilitation Grant Secured For Train Depot

June 19, 2012

Sacramento’s historic Sacramento Valley train station has been awarded $15 million by a Federal Grant to rehabilitate the outdated depot. The money will be matched by local funds to include adding air conditioning and modern heating, fixing stairs and elevators, renovating bathrooms, and creating new spaces for leasable use. The city plans include a restaurant in what is now a large, unused space adjacent to the train depot's main waiting room. Work is expected to start next summer.

The station was originally built by Southern Pacific Railroad in 1926 $2.3 million.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Hotel Berry Renovation

July 03,2012

Last spring, the 83-year-old Hotel Berry began renovations at a cost of $24.5 million to completely renovate and modernize the historic hotel. The depression-era six-story mixed use hotel had fallen into severe disrepair, but after being bought by Jamboree Housing Corporation in 2007 for $5 million, the agency was able to finance the project with $13.6 million in tax credit equity, $10.1 million in permanent financing from Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency and $500,000 in federal weatherization funds. U.S. Bank provided $5.5 million in construction financing.

Hotel Berry, 729 L Street, Sacramento, CA 95814 - 1926

The historic hotel was built in 1929; the Berry was once a functioning hotel but has been used as low-income housing for single occupants since the 1960s. At that time, there were about 2,300 single-room occupancy apartments in the city. With 104 Single Room Occupancy (SRO) studios and a manager’s unit, the total cost break down per room is $240,000 per unit to renovate. The hotel is scheduled for completion in the next 4 to 6 weeks and now called The Studios at Hotel Berry.

[...]

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Sacramento, Calif., OKs NBA Kings arena deal

Posted: 2:45 a.m. Wednesday, March 27, 2013

SACRAMENTO, Calif. —

With the clock clicking down, Sacramento city officials took their last shot at keeping the NBA Kings in California's capital by approving a public-private deal to build a new 18,500-seat arena and retail center downtown.

The city council's approval of the arena Tuesday was the last step in what has been a full court press by Mayor Kevin Johnson to keep Sacramento's only major league sports team from bolting to Seattle, where a new ownership group and arena deal awaits. He now must convince NBA owners to block the Maloof family from initiating the move, a deal made public in January.

Since then, the mayor, himself a former NBA All-Star, has scrambled to assemble a group to buy the team, convince Commissioner David Stern to consider a counter offer, and get approval for the financial deal that would build a $448 million arena on the site of a shopping mall — a development many say will revitalize a problem area in its bustling city core.

Next week, Johnson will present the arena plan and purchase offer to an NBA committee. The following week, the NBA Board of Governors will vote on whether the team can be sold, and whether it will stay or move.

"We want the folks of Seattle to get a team, we wish them well, but we want to keep what's ours," Johnson said after the 7-2 vote to approve the arena. "We're going to New York to talk about the viability of this market and the love affair we've had with our team."

[...]

501 - 520 of 566 Posts