SkyscraperCity banner

821 - 830 of 830 Posts

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Did I see that right? The floor raises up and down?

The ability to raise and lower the floor would make a huge difference in many of these setups. Lower it to allow the seats to pull closer to the basketball court and raise up to fit in the ice for hockey.
Its also ridiculously expensive and I'm guessing fairly tempermental. Lifting a 3ft thick 17000 sqft slab of concrete (which my back of the napkin calcs is about 3000 tons) is no small feat.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
What earns Target Center the designation of a bad hockey arena? Is it the gaps between the stands and the boards in the ends? Target Center can fill those gaps with retractable seating and has in the past when hosting the big school State High School Hockey Tournament in the post St. Paul Civic Center/pre Xcel Energy Center era in the 1990s and NHL exhibition and neutral site games in the 1990s post North Stars/pre Wild. It typically doesn't put in the retractable seating these days for the NCHC Tournament because the event doesn't come close to filling the venue, making the additional seating unnecessary from a capacity standpoint. It's not as good as the X or as good as Met Center was for sightlines, but would have been acceptable had the NHL ended up there in the 1990s.

Target Center isn't a very good building for hockey.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Very rarely (I can only think of Key Arena, and Oracle Arena), the opportunity comes along for an arena to completely reconfigure and either add or remove such features. In the case of Key Arena at least, they completely rebuilt the arena bowl to go from hockey first to basketball first. This was very intentional to keep the NHL from coming to Seattle and competing with the Sonics for revenue. Now we're talking about a 3rd complete redevelopment to completely gut the arena and make it hockey first again. These are major renovations akin to building a completely new arena.
Thanks for all that info, BoulderGrad.

By the way, your blurb just got me thinking.

Are there any plans for the city of Atlanta and the city of Houston to reconfigure the Philips Arena and the Toyota Center (respectively) in order to accommodate a basketball-first arena bowl?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Thanks for all that info, BoulderGrad.

By the way, your blurb just got me thinking.

Are there any plans for the city of Atlanta and the city of Houston to reconfigure the Philips Arena and the Toyota Center (respectively) in order to accommodate a basketball-first arena bowl?
I fear that would be getting this thread even further off track than it already is. Feel free to read up and ask away in the threads for both arenas.

Philips arena:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=726192&page=2

Toyota Center:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1282879

Anyone have pictures from Kings games, or reviews of the arena experience at Sac-town's new toy?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I fear that would be getting this thread even further off track than it already is. Feel free to read up and ask away in the threads for both arenas.

Philips arena:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=726192&page=2

Toyota Center:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1282879

Anyone have pictures from Kings games, or reviews of the arena experience at Sac-town's new toy?

I don't have any pictures, but all I can say is, WOW! The place is absolutely beautiful and every detail seems to have been thought of and addressed. The arena is very open, and allows for easier access to amenities and sections than the old arena, and others do. The concourse does not leave you with the claustrophobic feelings some can give, and there are lots of "open spaces" for people to congregate, eat or simply take a break from crowds. Lots of food options, beverage options and other fan friendly activities and events going on throughout the arena. The lower bowl has great sight lines and the chairs are very comfortable. The only issue I've observed and heard about is the steepness of the upper level. It isn't as steep as some are making it out to be, but the isles up there are very tight, and can be uncomfortable for some. It reminds me a lot of the SAP Center which I am accustomed too, so I think that's why I wasn't as bothered. It provides the fans on the upper level with amazing views of the floor though. The scoreboard is outrageous, and provides every stat you can think of. It's also so large, it doesn't leave you with much empty space when you look up.

I absolutely love the new building. They are still working on the outside plaza, and once done will provide more bars, shops and restaurants (and a hotel). There are a development or two planned for across the street to add to the external activities before or after games to help create Sacramento's own LA Live. There's already plenty to do just a block to two from the building, so it doesn't take away from the experience.

·
18,120 Posts
Sacramento Kings to build NBA 2K League training center inside arena

Now that the National Basketball Association has its own eSports initiative with NBA 2K League, it's only a matter of time before various teams jump into the digital arena. Qualifiers start January 1st, with draft rounds planned for March of 2018 for a season that's set to begin in May. Further blurring the lines between real and digital sports, the Sacramento Kings have just announced a new eSports training facility to be housed within the Golden 1 Center pro arena.

The idea is to have a "venue within a venue," with a training facility, broadcast center and gamer lounge in the same place where the Kings play pro basketball. The eSports venue will have super fast connections for lag-free gaming, along with theater-style seating for tournaments and events. The professional gamers that end up on the Kings' eSports team will be able to access the same amenities as the NBA athletes, like the farm-to-fork culinary program and an on-demand oxygen bar.

The eSports studio will also be equipped with 4K cameras and green screens to allow the gaming team to create its own content on-site, and will be linked to Golden 1 Center's 4K Ultra HD broadcast center. The studio will also turn into a massive backstage area for touring musical acts, with a ton of video games to play and a DJ rig for musicians to mess around with. Local schools and non-profits will be able to use the complex as well, via the Sacramento Kings Foundation.
https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/07/sacramento-kings-nba-2k-league-esports-training-center/

821 - 830 of 830 Posts