SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 2299 Posts

·
i'm a hanoian
10,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes it is. I saw another proposal with a skyscraper which was just awful to look at. Some ppl don't like this neo-classical design, but I quite like it. The downtown area will look tacky with so many indivualistic bldgs, sth classy will def do good. I hope they will spend much money on the interior design. Sth different from an average mall since it is on a prime location.

·
Registered
229 Posts
yes it is. I saw another proposal with a skyscraper which was just awful to look at. Some ppl don't like this neo-classical design, but I quite like it. The downtown area will look tacky with so many indivualistic bldgs, sth classy will def do good. I hope they will spend much money on the interior design. Sth different from an average mall since it is on a prime location.
I agree. Most things in uniform would look good. They better do a good job on this building, it's good land.

·
Blind Ambition
284 Posts
this building looks like crap, there's nothing special about. The other older buildings have more "detail", handcrafted siding and what not. This building looks like it was designed with an "easy builder" kit. The roof looks like a long worm, man even the freshmen architecture students at my school could design something ten times better than this.
there's nothing remarkable about this building, same crap from side to side. If anything, it is just massive. a low rise about 15 stories high with the first 5 stories being neo euro and the top rest being modern would be a much better choice.

·
i'm a hanoian
10,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW, the Eden Center was designed by a French man. I think a little bit Art Nouveau into this bldg would be great, it gives the bldg more details as desired.

·
Banned
941 Posts
Is Eden Center near to Rex Hotel, HCM opera , People's Committee? New its design 's so beautiful and suits surrounding areas.

·
Registered
571 Posts
its design is indeed ordinary, but the most important factor is it CAN go along with the surrounding building. Who would build a mordern style building in an area packed up with old style buildings ? That would definitely make the whole place look odd ! Please consider about the harmony before you say it's crappy.

·
Registered
571 Posts
agree on that point, bro. It's worse than the other buildings. :) It's somewhere between morden and old style. However, I have nothing to dislike it anyway.

·
Blind Ambition
284 Posts
a classic base of about 5 stories high and then another 10 on top of that that is more modern wouldn't be a bad thing, or build something that is a mix between all the buildings on that block, from the REx to the continential, the round roof is not doing it for me, seems like cheap bent sheet metal. does it look something like this
??

·
Vivat capitalismus
5,330 Posts
Look cheap and awful, if they destroy this building, i'm done with Saigon. It's not my Saigon anymore.

·
Vivat capitalismus
5,330 Posts
its design is indeed ordinary, but the most important factor is it CAN go along with the surrounding building. Who would build a mordern style building in an area packed up with old style buildings ? That would definitely make the whole place look odd ! Please consider about the harmony before you say it's crappy.
Open your mind, there're many ways a modern, cutting edge building to blend in a historical area, but I have to be honest and straight-forward: if we build this faux-French piece of crap, some Vietnamese who haven't seen any French building outside Saigon and Hanoi can contemplate it but most tourists will laugh at our face.

·
i'm a hanoian
10,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
when the bldg looks authentic then no one will laugh. so it depends on the materials they'll use. it can look crappy like Trang Tien Plaza and SongDa or good like The Manor and Press Club. the architecture itself is definately categorisable. it's not a failing mixture of different kinds of architecture. it's even less then more (tend to have a bitof art-deco too). however, tourists will understand that since many heavily associate VN with a French "past". Moreover, the idea with a modern bldg within a historical site is a nice idea that can be seen in many cities, but then it will become likely an iconic landmark since it is special in that area...but do we haven't already two? Opera house and city hall? wouldn't it be too much? moreover, once approved some, many will follow....
I find it more ridiculous when countries like China, Japan and Korea start to adopt European architecture, Napoleonish-style and the like when they weren't "typical" Western colonies at all.
Speaking for Hanoi, I can't imagine a wholly post-modern complex in the downtown area. Other things will destroy the charm. So it might be in the downtown area of SG too? That place is so full of history.However, you guys spend most of your life in that city, so you must know what's good for your city. On the other site, I totally understand why they dislike it.

1 - 20 of 2299 Posts