SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 980 Posts

·
www.nextlevelenglish.org
483 Posts
The Minnesota United announced a new stadium in the Midway area of St. Paul, on Snelling Ave and University AVe. The stadium will have 23,500 seats plus additional standing-only capacity.
The stadium could be a catalyst for other development in the area.

Looks stunning!!! :banana:

Lighting Schemes:

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
I know a lot of people hate this location, but I personally think this is a good spot for a stadium in an area that has desperate need for redevelopment.

Pretty cool to think that the Twin Cities are the only urban area in the country on which all four major league sports stadiums/arenas, an MLS stadium, a minor league baseball stadium, a major Big 10 football stadium, and several other sports venues are all immediately on or just a block or two away from a single rail line.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Very excited for this. But I know this will be a huge political land mine for the city and state legislature. There's a city council election in just a couple weeks. There are some pretty strong candidates opposed to any subsidy. One is running unopposed. I think any deal will eventually get the votes. But it will be tight.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If they do this here, will all of the big stores on that same massive block like the Walmart go down? Or is it just the vacant lot? Thinking about parking and a stadium village...

·
S MPLS
415 Posts
If they do this here, will all of the big stores on that same massive block like the Walmart go down? Or is it just the vacant lot? Thinking about parking and a stadium village...
Walmart,Cub, Life Time, And Herberger's are all east of Pascal so they would not be affected. That is a whole different development and owners. It is the strip mall with the Rainbow and Walgreens that would be most affected by the stadium and any redevelopment of that area inside University, Pascal, I-94, and Snelling. It would be a very large project to redevelop all of that space.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
It will also be very challenging due to so many different tenants and leases. Some will want to be relocated. Walgreens was set to move to the former bank building before plans fizzled. Redevelopment will most likely start along Snelling. Perhaps University next and slowly work inward as tenants are bought out, moved, etc.

·
Registered
756 Posts
The Minnesota United are expected to announce a new stadium in the Midway area of St. Paul, on Snelling Ave and University AVe. The stadium will probably have between 18,000-20,000 seats.

The stadium could be a catalyst for other development in the area.

The press conference is at 1:00 p.m. on Friday, October 23.
I never knew the stadium would be so close to the freeway. I love it.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Why would public parking even be necessary? The Twin Cities are quickly becoming a "park and ride" metro for sporting and other major events. I really think that will need to be encouraged (if not entirely necessary) at this location.

Look at how many hundreds of thousands of people arrive at the MN State Fair via bus...most people don't even consider driving to the fair an option anymore. We need to have the same mentality about sporting events, too, and Metro Transit needs to make it really easy for suburbanites to take advantage.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Very excited for this. But I know this will be a huge political land mine for the city and state legislature. There's a city council election in just a couple weeks. There are some pretty strong candidates opposed to any subsidy. One is running unopposed. I think any deal will eventually get the votes. But it will be tight.
why exactly? it's not a direct subsidy. it's being privately built. these parcels are empty eyesores for years. i think it's hard for minnsotans weary of stadium debates for decades to wrap their minds around that. the city council already voted in favor of a resolution. i suppose it still might face some opposition at the state legislature but i doubt it won't just be included in the tax bill and pass with little fanfare.

st paul should be used to large swaths of untaxed land. city has so much land devoted to churches and private instiutions that pay a big fat zero in property tax.

i think this says more about the clueless people governing the city of mpls. specifically the current mayor.. let's face it she's less than stellar. she's basically living off the work of rybak.

·
www.nextlevelenglish.org
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What does everyone think about the idea of putting a hotel next to the stadium. It would be useful for the visiting players, fans, and coaches. It could also encourage people to come and visit the wonderful ethnic neighborhoods and restaurants along University Ave. And because of the light rail, it could be a hotel that serves both downtowns for people who don't want to stay downtown.

·
Registered
756 Posts
What does everyone think about the idea of putting a hotel next to the stadium. It would be useful for the visiting players, fans, and coaches. It could also encourage people to come and visit the wonderful ethnic neighborhoods and restaurants along University Ave. And because of the light rail, it could be a hotel that serves both downtowns for people who don't want to stay downtown.
I would love for this to happen and if it does it will probably happen very slowly. Soccer isn't the draw that say, the MLB and especially the NFL is to surrounding neighborhoods. We saw the North Loop area build moderately fast when Target Field was built and we're now seeing how extremely fast the Mill District is being developed with U.S. Bank Stadium.

I would love for Midway to get a complete overhaul especially around this new stadium but not sure it will happen as quickly as the other stadium neighborhoods. I sorta kinda like the grit of the Midway view from 94 as it reminds me of parts of NYC. With that said, I'll have a smile on my face if this entire area gets updated.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
why exactly? it's not a direct subsidy. it's being privately built. these parcels are empty eyesores for years. i think it's hard for minnsotans weary of stadium debates for decades to wrap their minds around that. the city council already voted in favor of a resolution. i suppose it still might face some opposition at the state legislature but i doubt it won't just be included in the tax bill and pass with little fanfare.

st paul should be used to large swaths of untaxed land. city has so much land devoted to churches and private instiutions that pay a big fat zero in property tax.

i think this says more about the clueless people governing the city of mpls. specifically the current mayor.. let's face it she's less than stellar. she's basically living off the work of rybak.

Why indeed? Go read Tom Goldstein (whose running against Russ Stark). Win or lose he's guaranteed to make a huge mess of the process.

Jane Prince is running unopposed on the east side. She's already said she will not support a mls stadium.

Noecker in ward 2 has said she wouldn't of voted for the recent supporting bill passed unanimously a few weeks ago. But I suspect when the dust settles she'll vote yes. But maybe I'm just being optimistic.

Goldstein is the biggest problem. He's a lawyer, smart, articulate. He's got a lot of support.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
meh.. st paul is strong mayor city. whatever the mayor wants he basically gets. they've already passed a resolution. it's the state house or reps where they might be some opposition, if any. but i don't see much outcry. governor has voiced his support.

there is little doubt if rybak were still mayor mpls would be the site. this was all a betsy hodges hissy fit/power play as she fancies herself a budget savant. (she is an awful mayor on all counts)

i'll be interested in the growth stats in a couple years for the two cities. st paul has some interesting areas of growth/development. ford site, midway...this stadium will be a catalyst no doubt. traffic issues will be interesting also as this site is right off freeeway exit. but i don't see much problems..

·
S MPLS
415 Posts
The Mills district has pretty much taken care of its self before the US Bank stadium came into play. The only thing in the Mill district that the stadium will affect is the 800 block of Washington where they are going to build that hotel. The senior living in the mill was not influence by the stadium. The addition to the Depot hotel could be said to be done for the stadium. But I think they would have done the project anyway as the water feature was just not big enough for what people want to be a draw now days. Was a great idea when it was developed, but too much competition has happened with better facilities are now options for travelers. The Encore was already a given as the neighborhood was already filled as far as apartments go. Stanton's other condo tower is more of a given due to the huge success of his first project by the Gold Medal Park. Proximity to the river will help that project also. But the Skyline might affect it, but with it being on the DT side of the river will be a plus for it also.

DTE is surely being helped by the Viking's stadium. Sherman's TJ project would have happened whether or not the stadium was built. With the residential market in the mill district there was definitely a need for a grocery store on that side of DT. The stadium has helped in making projects east of 5th more palatable. The KA Brewtel and the Portland were influence by the proximity of the WF towers and the stadium. The Radisson Red was influenced by the stadium and I'm sure the WF towers as well. Will be interesting to see what happens between now and when the stadium actually opens. There are a lot of projects that will have to get into the ground here at the end of the 1st quarter or beginning of the 2nd quarter of 2016 to be ready for the opening day. Especially the hotels will need to get things moving ASAP.

The need for a hotel or two will hopefully happen by the stadium at Midway. I'd hope for at least one coming with the stadium, with a second coming as the market for it comes about. I'm not sure at present that more than one hotel would make it without some serious office space being built near by in the Midway. At present there really is not that much office space in Midway. What there is, is spread out along University with no real concentration. Lot's of low rise between 280 and Lexington, but nothing really large to draw hotel stays. I'd be curious as to how much office space is within a mile or two of the stadium.
We can hope that there will be a lot of fill in happening along University with the stadium. I hope over time that the strip mall where the Rainbow and Walgreen's is at will be total redeveloped, with a more grid like presence with mixed use retail, office, and residential being a part of it. That should make getting to and from the stadium to the LRT a bit easier without having to walk down Snelling's sidewalks.

·
Registered
756 Posts
The Mills district has pretty much taken care of its self before the US Bank stadium came into play. The only thing in the Mill district that the stadium will affect is the 800 block of Washington where they are going to build that hotel. The senior living in the mill was not influence by the stadium. The addition to the Depot hotel could be said to be done for the stadium. But I think they would have done the project anyway as the water feature was just not big enough for what people want to be a draw now days. Was a great idea when it was developed, but too much competition has happened with better facilities are now options for travelers. The Encore was already a given as the neighborhood was already filled as far as apartments go. Stanton's other condo tower is more of a given due to the huge success of his first project by the Gold Medal Park. Proximity to the river will help that project also. But the Skyline might affect it, but with it being on the DT side of the river will be a plus for it also.

DTE is surely being helped by the Viking's stadium. Sherman's TJ project would have happened whether or not the stadium was built. With the residential market in the mill district there was definitely a need for a grocery store on that side of DT. The stadium has helped in making project east of 5th more palatable. The KA Brewtel and the Portland were influence by the proximity of the WF towers and the stadium. The Radisson Red was influenced by the stadium and I'm sure the WF towers as well. Will be interesting to see what happens between now and when the stadium actually opens. There are a lot of projects that will have to get into the ground here at the end of the 1st quarter or beginning of the 2nd quarter of 2016 to be ready for the opening day. Especially the hotels will need to get things moving ASAP.

The need for a hotel or two will hopefully happen by the stadium at Midway. I'd hope for at least one coming with the stadium, with a second coming as the market for it comes about. I'm not sure at present that more than one hotel would make it without some serious office space being built near by in the Midway. At present there really is not that much office space in Midway. What there is, is spread out along University with no real concentration. Lot's of low rise between 280 and Lexington, but nothing really large to draw hotel stays. I'd be curious as to how much office space is within a mile or two of the stadium.
We can hope that there will be a lot of fill in happening along University with the stadium. I hope over time that the strip mall where the Rainbow and Walgreen's is at will be total redeveloped, with a more grid like presence with mixed use retail, office, and residential being a part of it. That should make getting to and from the stadium to the LRT a bit easier without having to walk down Snelling's sidewalks.
My bad. I meant DTE when I said Mill district.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
A new website is up, http://www.newsaintpaulstadium.com, not much information. But we should have more over time.

Also, United Properties pushes for development next to soccer stadium site

"...United Properties, the development arm of the Pohlad Group, is exploring a phased, perhaps mixed-use development on the 20-or-so acres around the 10-acre soccer stadium site at 400 Snelling Ave. N..."

"..."We are looking for a large-scale user to kick off redevelopment of the site, and [office space] is a likely starting point," said Bill Katter, chief investment officer for United Properties..."

1 - 20 of 980 Posts