Skyscraper City Forum banner

rate it

  • 10

    Votes: 258 54.1%
  • 9,5

    Votes: 27 5.7%
  • 9,0

    Votes: 32 6.7%
  • 8,5

    Votes: 18 3.8%
  • 8,0

    Votes: 28 5.9%
  • 7,5

    Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 7,0

    Votes: 18 3.8%
  • 6,5

    Votes: 5 1.0%
  • 6,0

    Votes: 10 2.1%
  • 5,5

    Votes: 7 1.5%
  • 5,0

    Votes: 14 2.9%
  • 4,5

    Votes: 7 1.5%
  • 4,0

    Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 3,5

    Votes: 8 1.7%
  • 0 > 3,5

    Votes: 24 5.0%
1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Distant glory
Joined
·
536 Posts
Not enough height, no density, dirty & old-fashioned...
4/10, needs a lot of work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
nova said:
Not enough height, no density, dirty & old-fashioned...
4/10, needs a lot of work.
WWWWWWWHAT?!!!!!!!

"Not enough height" is the only one I might agree with. Well, except I don't think cities like SpB needs any height at all.

Find some more pictures in the Russian forum. It's as dense as any other European city. It's very clean (not as stertile as London, but certainly not dirty at all). As for the old-fashioned bit.... 18th and 19th century architecture of the city center is what made it one of the most beautiful cities in the world (and this is not just my opinion). It's in the exact same league as Amsterdam, Venice and Florence. And you're saying it "needs work".

May you not judge ever again. You're incompetent =)))
 

·
Gotta lite?
Joined
·
6,067 Posts
nova said:
Not enough height, no density, dirty & old-fashioned...
4/10, needs a lot of work.
Not enough height, well, I agree that it would be nice to have a cluster somewhere, but that is hardly important - just nice.

As for density, you don't need height for density. That city is denser than probably any city in the U.S. bar NY. and from the looks of it, I'd say the Urban Area would be denser in total than NY's urban area.

Dirty? I don't see example's of dirty in those photo's.

Old Fashioned... well, it's got history, and that is a pretty good asset. I city can always build new buildings and look modern, but it can never build history like you see here or in Paris. Paris has both amazing history, and stunning modern architecture as well, it has the best of both worlds. And the way Russia is getting itself on it's feet these days, I wouldn't be suprised to see some amazing modern buildings coming up in the future - Moscow's doing pretty good these days.

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think it is accurate ;O)

I say 7/10 - could do with some new stuff and a cluster somewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Not enough height!

Being a skyscraper fan is all very well, but talk about being one dimensional. St Petersburg is wonderful, and one of the top three major cities in the world that must not be spoilt with skyscrapers alongside Rome and Paris.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,461 Posts
I don't really feel that St Petersburg needs scrapers...they might be nice but unless it was done properly it would taint the historic aspects of the city.

7/10
 

·
Distant glory
Joined
·
536 Posts
Well it does look sort of dirty from the first few pics. I've only judged based on these pics btw. As for the old-fashioned bit, I can understand why you might like the historic appeal of the city, but I don't, I prefer modernity..

Sorry guys, but I still think it needs work..some example of being with the times. And I stand by my 4/10 rating.

I'm sorry if I offended some of you, perhaps that post of mine was a little hasty. I just put down my first impressions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,393 Posts
Extremely beautiful.....one of the most beautiful cities of the world...!!!

:cheers: :applause: :dj: :applause: :eek:kay:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
38,005 Posts
WHAT IS THAT SOOOOOOOOOO TALL thing in the distance!!?!?!

 

·
Jakarta : Home sweet Home
Joined
·
769 Posts
yeah what is that tower? looks like a telecommunications tower..
but it's so damn tall..
 

·
Gotta lite?
Joined
·
6,067 Posts
nova said:
Well it does look sort of dirty from the first few pics. I've only judged based on these pics btw. As for the old-fashioned bit, I can understand why you might like the historic appeal of the city, but I don't, I prefer modernity..

Sorry guys, but I still think it needs work..some example of being with the times. And I stand by my 4/10 rating.

I'm sorry if I offended some of you, perhaps that post of mine was a little hasty. I just put down my first impressions.
There's no offence mate, your entitled to your views.

But I still can't see the "dirt" you talk of. It all looks pretty clean to me on these pictures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
AsIaBoYz said:
The city looks better without any skyscrapers ..

Wonderful city indeed !! 10/10
If you rate this city on its skyscrapers, it would have to rate very low.
But if you rate it for beauty, it would easily be a 10.0
Some cities shouldn't have tall buildings. The only tall structures in Rome should be church domes. Same for Salzburg and many other European cities.
Washington, DC has no skyscrapers, and I doubt if any will ever be builr. And the city is better for its lack of them.
 

·
Gotta lite?
Joined
·
6,067 Posts
Tazmaniadevil said:
If you rate this city on its skyscrapers, it would have to rate very low.
But if you rate it for beauty, it would easily be a 10.0
Some cities shouldn't have tall buildings. The only tall structures in Rome should be church domes. Same for Salzburg and many other European cities.
Washington, DC has no skyscrapers, and I doubt if any will ever be builr. And the city is better for its lack of them.
Very true, although many of these cities do have a cluster outside of the historical area which is more than fine. London and Paris with Canary Wharf and La Defense are classic examples. Even Rome has one.

St Petersburg could do with one as well, and it wouldn't hurt the cityscape at all - as long as it's not built in the historical center.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
Pictures by Fenol:



А теперь более подробно начиная от Адмиралтейства и
далее в сторону Александро-Невской лавры.

Адмиралтейство

Кассы Аэрофлота


Арка Главного Штаба.

Невский 15

Строгановский дворец

Казанский собор



Дом книги





Городская дума


Гранд отель Европа



Гостиный двор

Армянская церковь

Малый пассаж

Ночной клуб Hollywood Nights

Универмаг Пассаж

Российская национальная библиотека

Александринский театр

Елисеевский магазин

Дворец Белосельских Белозерских

Невский 43


Невский 45

Казино Premier (бывший кинотеатр Титан)

Рэдиссон САС Рояль отель















Dirty? Old fashioned?
 
1 - 20 of 220 Posts
Top