SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Sainte-Croix-du-Mont : a little tour in the Garonne valley ; part I

1281 Views 2 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  christos-greece
A modest tour around Sainte-Croix-du-Mont in the Garonne valley upriver to Bordeaux. Part II will be around the same villages one month later. The pics were taken in October 2007.

Rurban way of life as we leave the "national road" :

Going to Isle-St-Georges, running along an estey (from latin estuarium, that's the Gascon for a little river):

Bourgeois house in Portets :

After crossing the Garonne river in Langoiran, we reach the hights of Langoiran with vineyards surrounded by "Garonese" haze :

Inland Entre-Deux-Mers seemed to be covered by mist, that's why I came back to the crest overcoming the Garonne valley.

The large valley of the Garonne river from Sainte-Croix-du-Mont. With good climatic conditions, one can see the Pyrenees. I've never been able to catch sight of it (I saw the Pyrenees twice some 20km in the South, I've got pics of it):

Sainte-Croix-du-Mont with De Lancre's castle (the man that burnt witches in Labourd) :

One week later, I came back to Sainte-Croix-du-Mont : here are some pics.

The very same valley :

Neighbouring Verdelais :

The village that can be seen in the valley is Prignac (here's a pic made one year before) :

Piquecaillou Castle :

We end with Langon, a port on the Garonne :
See less See more
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
I always find old architecture from SW France extremely interesting: it is a mix of typical Mediterranean with Gothic and some other styles.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.