SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
DJ Michael
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've started this thread to question whether Seaford will one day soon rival become a new Salisbury. A regional retail mecca. I personally believe it will because Salisbury escentially started with the old mall and a couple big box stores. Seaford is in the process of getting an entertainment mall and both Lowe's and Walmart seem to think that Seaford is a good place to do business. Lowe's recently opened a bigger store than the one in Salisbury which is only 14 miles away. I think that this is just the beginning of retail that will come to Seaford that already has locations in Salisbury. Seaford is also welcoming big box stores like Lowe's with its comprehensive plan that includes commercial on rt 13 from the current Walmart to route 18 and on route 20 through West Seaford. What do others think?

·
18,171 Posts
Well, Seaford does have the lack of a sales tax as an avdantage. However, it lacks the larger population; Seaford has abuot 5,000 people and Salisbury has about 25,000 people.

Since the population is much smaller, I don't see Seaford rivalling Salisbury.

Now, let's look at the surrounding population. Sussex County is booming, and Salisbury is somewhat close to Seaford. Will people travel to Seaford for these stores? I would have to say no. Those stores are lower-order entities, and so people generally don't travel too, too far for them. People are more willing to travel for higher-order businesses, like hospitals and minor league baseball. (Much lower-order businesses, like convenience stores or McDonald's, serve a very immediate population, and people travel even less than they would for hardware stores or similar businesses.)

In the end, I would say that Seaford doesn't seem like it would surpass Salisbury. The population within 5 or 6 miles of the stores that you mentioned is not big enough to help Seaford rival Salisbury. Outside of 5 or 6 miles, or maybe 7 or 8 miles, I don't see people travelling that distance for those businesses.

·
DJ Michael
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I beg to differ because many people around that area dislike Salisbury but only shop there because it's a hike to Dover and the beaches and they dont have anything really close. I know because I'm one of them. I hate how Salisbury planned route 13 from the bypass north. Population wise I don't think the population will go from 7,100 now to Salisbury's 25,000 anytime soon but it is growing and Seafords pop doesnt neccesarly need to be 25,000 to have alot of retail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts