SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The city has changed drastically in the last few years, they've knocked down all the old falling apart wooden buildings from the turn of the century and rebuilt nice towers. I have some photos from a few places in the city in winter from about 3.5 years ago, I will post those as well - very different!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A story, lets see, yeah, I have some of those:

When I was in college in Boston, about 4 years ago, I met (my now wife), and she was from Samara. After about 6 months of dating I went on a visit with her to Samara for the first time (This was also my first trip to Russia). I was pretty amazed by all the differences in the cities, with the old small buildings in the center and the commieblock tower rows on the outskirts of the city - I had never seen anything like it. Unfortunatly (or fortunatly depending upon who you ask) I don't have any of the photos of the commieblock sections of the city, but now there are new buildings being built around them so they don't seem quite as strange.

I've been to Samara 3 times now, the most recient when I took those photos last summer. The city is changing very rapidly, and a bunch of really nice western style towers are going up on the waterfront. I will probably be back there again this summer somtime and I will get some updated photos. If I have time I'll try to log as much of the city as possible.

·
Banned
1,883 Posts
FASCINATING, Landier! :applause:

Very nice photos, and an interesting, albeit short, history of rapid and dramatic change for that city.

As an old building fan, of course, I'm very sad to see all those small, low, old ones wither, fall, and die ... :cry:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.