SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SALAH ADDINE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, IRAQ

Leedco was awarded a contract with Salah Addine Governorate Investment Commission in Iraq to invest and build an International airport that is capable of providing air transportation to 3 million visitors and tourists yearly. The proposed International Airport will be strategically situated as it will be located in the Center of the Iraq governorates where it is considered a circle of ties between the north, south, east and west of Iraq. The governorate consist of cities of very important touristic attractions as it has ancient historical and religious sites and where the burial places of prophets and their relatives exist such as the burial of the Imams Hasan and Hussein and the burial of the coming Imam al mohdi in Samarra and the burial of sheikh Mohammad in the city of Balad. The Governorate has also oil fields and petrochemical industries and refineries where there are currently and will enjoy huge construction and economic development activities in the future. The Airport will also provide air transportation services to passengers in case of air traffic or bad weather or emergency conditions in the Baghdad Airport since the safest and closest airport to Baghdad City is the new Salah Addine International Airport.

The Airport will be constructed in phases. The initial construction phase of the project is about $50 Million with estimated total cost of $90 Million including future expansion of the airport.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
why the hell do we need that much airports :S !!!! y dont they just improve baghdad airport nd get more technology in it and make it work in all conditions nd expand it ! + dont we already have a old airport in Baghdad !

y dont they expand other airports with sucha nice designs !
why dont they improve the rail-way system nd the roads with that money :S !

the central government needs to do something seriously !

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
as i mentioned already in many of the threads relating to iraq's new slew of airports everywhere. a focus on a small number of centralised airports that become hubs for international flights and interconnected by fast railways to other cities is probably the best that iraq can do.

however with the "federal" nature of the new iraq, everyone wants to recreate everything in their own provinces resulting in silly amounts of replication, lack of focus on quality centralised services and with teh ultimate result of retarding the country overall.

they are planning on having the following "international" airports in iraq:
-erbil
-sulaymania
-mosul
-kirkuk
-salahuddin
-baghdad
-central euphrates (karbala)
-najaf
-amarah
-nassiriya
-basra

that is 1 international airport per 3M population, which is too much. E.G hungary with 10M population seems to survive well with just one airport, ditto for Austria which in effect only uses one main "international" airport in vienna and it seems to be enough.

in fact. a focused effort into the best resources and improving interconnection between airports and cities by railways you could have:
-erbil (railway to mosul, dohuk, sulaymania, kirkuk) - each will be a 1hr commute
-baghdad (railway to samara, tikrit, ramadi, baquba) - 1hr-90min commute
-Najaf (railway to karbala, hilla, diwaniya, kut) - 30min-1hr commute
-basra (railway to amara, nassiriya, samawa) 1-2hr commute

simple. then each of these airports can receive a large number of international flights as well as interconnecting internal flights for areas not covered by their international routes. since these airports already exist, instead of spending more money creating new airports, expand and improve the existing ones, adn use the extra cash to create a nice inner and intercity railway to link them up to all points of interest... i am thinking SWISS rail/air interconnect here.

·
Dreams of Babylon Rising
8,848 Posts
as i mentioned already in many of the threads relating to iraq's new slew of airports everywhere. a focus on a small number of centralised airports that become hubs for international flights and interconnected by fast railways to other cities is probably the best that iraq can do.

however with the "federal" nature of the new iraq, everyone wants to recreate everything in their own provinces resulting in silly amounts of replication, lack of focus on quality centralised services and with teh ultimate result of retarding the country overall.

they are planning on having the following "international" airports in iraq:
-erbil
-sulaymania
-mosul
-kirkuk
-salahuddin
-baghdad
-central euphrates (karbala)
-najaf
-amarah
-nassiriya
-basra

that is 1 international airport per 3M population, which is too much. E.G hungary with 10M population seems to survive well with just one airport, ditto for Austria which in effect only uses one main "international" airport in vienna and it seems to be enough.

in fact. a focused effort into the best resources and improving interconnection between airports and cities by railways you could have:
-erbil (railway to mosul, dohuk, sulaymania, kirkuk) - each will be a 1hr commute
-baghdad (railway to samara, tikrit, ramadi, baquba) - 1hr-90min commute
-Najaf (railway to karbala, hilla, diwaniya, kut) - 30min-1hr commute
-basra (railway to amara, nassiriya, samawa) 1-2hr commute

simple. then each of these airports can receive a large number of international flights as well as interconnecting internal flights for areas not covered by their international routes. since these airports already exist, instead of spending more money creating new airports, expand and improve the existing ones, adn use the extra cash to create a nice inner and intercity railway to link them up to all points of interest... i am thinking SWISS rail/air interconnect here.
I don't think it's that bad.. it is still very reasonable in my opinion.. it' just a matter of timing..

Iraq can easily handle that many airports when the demand comes.. and 1 airport per 3 million is VERY reasonable

for example, New Zealand's population is 4 million, but we have 2 International airports, and one regional airport, and well over 10 domestic airports..

In my opinion Iraq can have as many as 8 International airports, and as many as 15 domestic local ones.. (If Iraq has a matured aviation sector, which it currently does not).

In theory, it does not cost Iraq much to develop these airports, as many of them are refurbished airfields. So it's cost isn't the issue.. But well all rather see these investment going into electricity or refineries, as they are more critical for the medium term.

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not even electricity or refineries.

put them into farming, water desalination, low cost housing, food processing, railways (urban and intercity), and solar power.

if anyone has to fly, they can take a 2hr train journey to the nearest airport which (by its centralised nature) will offer him direct flights to a very wide range of destinations). having such centralised hubs also enables Iraqi airlines to create viable cargo zones, hotels, and hubs with connecting flights. The centralised hubs would also offer more flights, and this also simplifies everything from air traffic control to airport security etc...

·
Dreams of Babylon Rising
8,848 Posts
^^ well.. having lots of airports in the south will ease the demand from Basra's airport.. which i think will reach capacity very quickly in the coming two years (because of the inevitable oil boom). So I don't see a problem with their construction.

And since we haven't heard about an expansion for Basra's airport.. this would be a good second option.

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The site for Salahudin international airport has been finalised.
Its in Sadirat Al Bu Ajil, 40km north of Samarra and 15km South of Tikrit.

Just like for the Central Euphrates International Airport (Karbala), the final design was by France's ADPI.

The basic facilities are already there since Saddam Had built an airport there previously in "al auja".

here's the map reference. http://wikimapia.org/#lat=34.5292224&lon=43.6825848&z=15&l=0&m=b

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
great news ... I think Sammara has a great tourism future since it has lower population than the southern cities and mosul (which has archeological sites)

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
US firm to build airport in Iraq
Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:5PM

An American company has won a tender to build an international airport in the northern Iraqi province of Salahuddin, Iraqi officials say.

Under the $50-million contract, the California-based Unlisted Leedco Engineers Inc. will construct the airport within a two-year period.

The new airport, with an initial capacity of 2 million passengers a year, is considered as an alternative to Baghdad International Airport.

Baghdad International Airport currently serves more than 7 million passengers a year.

Iraq's Transport Ministry had earlier announced plans to build an international airport in the country's south through foreign companies.

French airport operator Aeroports de Paris won a $42.5 million contract in November 2009 to work on the plans.

DB/MRS/MGH

·
Registered
969 Posts
US firm to build airport in Iraq
Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:5PM

An American company has won a tender to build an international airport in the northern Iraqi province of Salahuddin, Iraqi officials say.

Under the $50-million contract, the California-based Unlisted Leedco Engineers Inc. will construct the airport within a two-year period.

The new airport, with an initial capacity of 2 million passengers a year, is considered as an alternative to Baghdad International Airport.

Baghdad International Airport currently serves more than 7 million passengers a year.

Iraq's Transport Ministry had earlier announced plans to build an international airport in the country's south through foreign companies.

French airport operator Aeroports de Paris won a $42.5 million contract in November 2009 to work on the plans.

DB/MRS/MGH
How could it be so cheap??? i don't get it ?

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How could it be so cheap??? i don't get it ?
this is being built at the site of the existing al auja airport which already has runway, taxiways, lighting, instrumentation, air traffic control building, firestation, hangars etc...

all they will build is a terminal building similar to Najaf airports (which also cost about $60M).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greetings!!
I'm new user and project manager of this airport project.
Actually, it's called Tikrit East Airport, used to be military airbase and has existing runway & taxiways (several bombed runway) with small shelled building, that's all left.
Exact location is 34d 36' 31.47" N & 43d 46' 38.79" E.

It's my pleasure to joined this site!!

·
Dreams of Babylon Rising
8,848 Posts
Greetings!!
I'm new user and project manager of this airport project.
Actually, it's called Tikrit East Airport, used to be military airbase and has existing runway & taxiways (several bombed runway) with small shelled building, that's all left.
Exact location is 34d 36' 31.47" N & 43d 46' 38.79" E.

It's my pleasure to joined this site!!
Welcome to our forum ukim :)

it's a pleasure to have you here.

Thank you very much for the information.
Was the control tower/center and instrumentation of the Tikrit East Airport survive the bombing, or will they be rebuilt as part of this project?

We love to get updates from you about this project's construction progress :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are so kind!!

The airport will be brand new everything, except utilizing existing runway and taxiways (of course, needs repair) for the part of ground work.
I can see there was lot of looting on the site everywhere(nothing left) and someone built sand berms all around the site.
That would be the first task for this project.^^

I'll keep you informed, thanks again for your warm welcome!!

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
welcome to the forum Akim! please keep us updated about the progress of the new airport!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts