Skyscraper City Forum banner

Do you support same-sex marriage/civil unions?

• Yes

Votes: 206 75.5%
  • No

Votes: 42 15.4%
  • Don't care

Votes: 25 9.2%
1 - 20 of 6997 Posts

·
®
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to post this in the stupid news thread, but thought some ppl might think it's not stupid; So not sure where else to put it.. since a lot of ppl here are gay, it's probably best off here in a new news thread :lol:

Do you think being a gay or a lesbian is immoral and do you have a phobia about gays?
Personally I don't care, as long as i am not involved... :lol:

Queensland's 'alarming' gay phobia
Courtney Trenwith
November 15, 2010

Comments 59

A map showing response rates to a survey on people who find homosexuality immoral. For the full results click here.

Queensland is the least gay-friendly state in the country with one person in three believing homosexuality is immoral, a national survey reveals.

The Roy Morgan Research data also shows two-thirds of the state's population is opposed to same-sex couples adopting children.

The anti-gay sentiment is strongest on the state's central coast and in the west, where up to 45 per cent of people regard gay and lesbian unions as immoral.

---------------------------
List: I believe homosexuality is immoral
List: Gay couples should be allowed to adopt
---------------------------

Attitudes towards homosexuality are measured by Roy Morgan Research’s Single Source survey, which polls about 1400 people each week.

The results have been collated from surveys conducted over the past two years to compile statistically meaningful samples of people from each of Australia's 150 federal electorates.

Queensland had the country's three highest-rating electorates for people that agreed with the statement, "I believe homosexuality is immoral." They were Capricornia (around Rockhampton), National Party leader Warren Truss's Wide Bay seat of Hinkler, and Wright in the Gold Coast hinterland.

In Capricornia, 45 per cent believed homosexuality was immoral.

The most gay-friendly sections of the state's community were in the inner suburbs of Brisbane, although the capital still lagged behind Melbourne and Sydney.

In southeast Queensland, a higher rate of negative views was prominent in outer areas of Brisbane such as Caboolture, northern parts of the Gold Coast and suburbs east of Ipswich.

Queensland had nine of the top 20 seats in the country with people who said homosexuality was immoral.

NSW and Victoria had the next highest levels of anti-gay sentiment. About 27 per cent of people in NSW said homosexuality was immoral, with the figure in Victoria at 25 per cent.

Gay rights activist Jessica Payne said while the Queensland average showed a minority of people held strong anti-gay attitudes, the research was “worrying”.

“That 30 per cent of people still think homosexuality is immoral is alarming,” Ms Payne, Brisbane convener of Equal Love, said. “It’s an indicator that there’s still homophobia out there.”

Ms Payne said there had been a national shift in attitude in recent years, but change had been slower in Queensland.

“Queensland is a bit backwards in that sense,” she said. “It was just 20 years ago that homosexuality was decriminalised.”

Queensland University of Technology political analyst Clive Bean said the state had a highly conservative population, which was reflected in the survey figures.

“Queensland has long had a reputation for being a more conservative state than some and that’s partly because of the decades that the LNP had a stronger foothold in Queensland than the conservative parties had in some of the other states,” Professor Bean said.

“Probably to some extent that has helped drive such attitudes.”

The majority of Queensland’s federal seats are held by the Liberal National Party with right-leaning Independent Bob Katter also a long-term member of parliament.

Senator Katter once infamously said he would walk to Bourke backwards, ''if the poof population of North Queensland is any more than 0.001 per cent".

The survey results were released with parliament due to debate a Greens motion on same-sex marriage.

Professor Bean said he did not believe the survey would influence party policies.

“Politicians decide their own views on those sorts of moral issues,” he said. “It may reinforce the views of some of the conservative Queensland politicians and help them to feel that they’re on track with their views.”

Brisbane Times

·
Crazy young doge man
2,697 Posts
I'm fine with gays as long as they don't spray me with gay germs

·
derp
10,274 Posts
if the gays stopped ruining peoples' threads and anuses (anii?) maybe people would like them more

·
Go Ahead.....Make My Day!
5,498 Posts
i dont give a shit if yr gay or not, but i am definitely opposed to gay couples bringing up children. Just my opinion

and i am not going to justify my answer if anyone asks either... cant be bothered debating to be honest

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
^Im not surprised by your stance lozza
What else are you to think when you belive the Earth is flat. Having not a thread of enlightenment from your kind of person is a well known fact.
But im not going to justify my answer if anyone asks either... cant be bothered debating to be honest.

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
^Im not surprised by your stance lozza
What else are you to think when you belive the Earth is flat. Having not a thread of enlightenment from your kind of person is a well known fact.
But im not going to justify my answer if anyone asks either... cant be bothered debating to be honest.
This is the type of hysterical shit that gives gay people a bad name and makes them easy pickings for homophobes. Lozza has a view/opinion that is as valid as the contrary view.

Suck it up princess.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Our premier Anna Bligh must have some balls then given she's all for gay marriage.

Bligh backs gay marriage
Queensland Premier and ALP national president Anna Bligh has backed the right of same-sex couples to marry.

Her stance puts her at odds with Prime Minister Julia Gillard and comes as federal parliamentarians from Labor’s Left faction push for more progressive policies.

Federal Sports Minister Mark Arbib, the Labor Right powerbroker who helped install Ms Gillard as prime minister, yesterday called on the party to allow MPs a free vote on gay marriage.

Ms Bligh, who became the party's national president three months ago, told brisbanetimes.com.au she supported legalising gay marriage.

“My understanding is that the federal marriage act prevails and it’s not open to the state to pursue those changes but my view is that people should be allowed to do what they like on this issue,” she said.

“If people love each other and they build lives together and they want that recognised, I think that’s perfectly reasonable.”

Today, at a media conference, Ms Bligh added that she expected the issue would be debated on the floor of the Labor party's next national conference.

The Greens have sparked fresh debate about gay marriage by introducing a bill into Federal Parliament to amend the marriage act.

Senator Arbib said he believed Labor MPs should be allowed a free vote on gay marriage, rather than be bound by party policy to oppose the move.

"If I was the parent of a gay son or daughter I don't know how I could tell them they didn't have the same rights as I do," he told News Limited.

But Ms Gillard yesterday stood by her position that marriage should remain between a man and a woman.

“Mark [Arbib] has expressed his personal views and no doubt he will take them to the next national conference, which is the proper place to have this debate,” she told reporters.

“We have a party policy, the party policy's crystal clear - marriage is between a man and a woman.

“That's what the marriage act says and that's how it should stay.”

Ms Gillard has previously ruled out allowing her MPs a free vote on the Greens' bill to legalise gay marriage. Opposition Leader Tony Abbott has also voiced his personal opposition to gay marriage.

However, national Labor Left co-convener Doug Cameron has called for the party to reach out to progressive people in the community.

Senator Cameron last month argued party restrictions on open debate were leading some voters to switch their support to the Greens.

“I just can’t understand why a party that calls itself progressive can’t allow two people who love each other, who are committed to a long-term arrangement should be treated differently,” he said.

“My view is this is absolutely inevitable and I think we should reconsider our position.”

The Australian Christian Lobby opposes changes to marriage laws.

In Queensland, gay couples have been granted the right to have children through altruistic surrogacy but not through adoption.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/bligh-backs-gay-marriage-20101104-17fqs.html
To be honest I don't think you'll find a greater divide between Country and City values anywhere in Australia than you find in Queensland. The difference is amazing.

·
Put it in your mouth
7,111 Posts
I'm surprised to see that the hinterland around the Gold Coast is just as homophobic as parts of Queensland's central coast. I thought the GC would be a bit more progressive, after all it's not that far from a major city.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
/\/\ I went to a gay club on the GC 2 weeks ago and I became friends with the manager and he said they have to be very careful who they let in to the club coz of homophobic violence.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
This is the type of hysterical shit that gives gay people a bad name and makes them easy pickings for homophobes. Lozza has a view/opinion that is as valid as the contrary view.

Suck it up princess.
Bit rude Tic......what do you mean by gives gay's a bad name.
People need to remember that it's no wonder we get defensive some times. I know loads of straight couples that are fucking useless as parents. I know of a few gay couples who are fantastic parents to their children.
Personally I wouldn't want two same sex parents coz I'd want a mum and a dad, but that's just me.
As for the homophobic poll....I'm not surprised...QLD is a big state and I'd well imagine those farmers up north are pretty set in their ways. Who cares anyway, why anyone would choose to live north of Sunshine Coast is beyond me.

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
I'm surprised to see that the hinterland around the Gold Coast is just as homophobic as parts of Queensland's central coast. I thought the GC would be a bit more progressive, after all it's not that far from a major city.

Going by the article they are talking about the electorate of Wright, It borders close to the Gold Coast, but it mostly encompasses the regional centers of Beaudesert, Laidley, boonah and Gatton.. The Gold Coast hinterland acts as somewhat of a buffer between that rural area and the Gold Coast proper

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
Bit rude Tic......what do you mean by gives gay's a bad name.
People need to remember that it's no wonder we get defensive some times. I know loads of straight couples that are fucking useless as parents. I know of a few gay couples who are fantastic parents to their children.
Personally I wouldn't want two same sex parents coz I'd want a mum and a dad, but that's just me.
As for the homophobic poll....I'm not surprised...QLD is a big state and I'd well imagine those farmers up north are pretty set in their ways. Who cares anyway, why anyone would choose to live north of Sunshine Coast is beyond me.
Actually Micky - I like your attitude as demonstrated in these forums. You are gay, proudly so, yet you get on with life with little fuss and drama. I gain the impression that you also don't care that much for those who play up their gayness and want to act like they are perpetual victims.
I was referring to gays who like to "act up " all melodromatic and drama queen like. I have known both types of gays and far prefer those who live their lives normally rather than always campaigning about thier sexual orientation.

Otherwise, I tend to agree with the rest of your post. Disagree about living beyond the Sunny Coast - NQ is a fantastic place, but yes, their views on homosexuality are still old fashioned.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
/\/\ Glad you got me in the right way.
And no disrespect for NQ......I'd imagine parts of Western Victoria and inland NSW would be just as "old fashioned" in their thinking. And lets not even get started on Tasmania....I think it's actually still illegal to have sex with the same sex in your own house.

·
Registered
12,521 Posts
Actually Micky - I like your attitude as demonstrated in these forums. You are gay, proudly so, yet you get on with life with little fuss and drama.

I was referring to gays who like to "act up " all melodromatic and drama queen like. I have known both types of gays and far prefer those who live their lives normally rather than always campaigning about thier sexual orientation.

You can pin point gay guys and say you prefer this and that, you can just as easily put the spotlight on the people that live "normally" as you have decided to put it..(nice wording bra).

How many straight guys do you see getting around on the town on the weekend or on work sites etc, wolf whislting at woman walking past, shouting sexual comments, just REAALLY expressing and displaying their sexual orientation for everyone to see like its something to be proud of. I wish they would get on with life with little fuss and drama too about their sexual oreientation, the fact they have a dick and want woman to know it.

Is this group of people the ones that live "normally", tic? or is this another sub-level group of people not yet reaching "normal living" status? well its very normal in society. doesnt make it good though does it.

being straight is universally accepted, even by gay people, yet many straight guys feel the need to campaign their sexual orientation. I also dont enjoy the way gay guys camp it up and feel special to be gay or whatever but im not blind to the str8 population of dicks who also i also view in the same light.

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
Meh, the same argument could be fought over any number of issues, I have a friend at work who is vegan, and she feels the need to tell me everytime I'm having some form of meat for lunch how the animal suffered and was killed... I frankly couldn't give a shit, yes I like chicken, swine and beef, and yes it is advertised everywhere, but I don't want to hear some shit about the cows crying moments before they are killed... Keel that shit to yourself.

Likewise there is the religious debate, Muslims don't appreciate certain aspects of the western lifestyle.. Do we conform to the way they think we should live?

Everyone has different lifestyles and different opinions, you may not necessarily agree with everyone elses opinion, just don't force your opinion on to others..

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
What do you expect from a state where many ppl are still clinging onto the gerrymander of Sir Jo? And yes Mickee like hell would I wanna live anywhere north of Sunshine Coast again, sure some of North Qld is nice but its the backwards attitudes of the ppl and unwillingness to accept change that puts a big black mark and tars the whole state with the same brush.

1 - 20 of 6997 Posts