plus a twenty story containment tower for the Shuttle Endeavor,​
which will be displayed in its vertical, upright launch position.​
I don't know if these are final, but don't let the lack of detail fool you,​
for it looks like they have been working on this a long time.​

·
Registered
18,898 Posts
Nice. Gonna make Expo Park even better.

I was amazed at how big Endeavour was when I first saw it, even after watching it on TV moving through the streets. I like it lying flat but we'll have to see how it looks standing up.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
The whole setup with the rockets will make it seem larger. Also, in it's current position, you can't see the dorsal side of the shuttle. Vertical will give people more viewing options.

·
Globalizing LA
880 Posts
Pics taken by me on 06 Jul 2014...

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
I checked the Space Center model when I went to see the shuttle...if it gets built, and if it approximates what is being proposed, it should be something special. We'll just have to wait and see.

With toddler in tow, I couldn't really do justice to the Science Center the one time I went to visit. That being said, and while seeing the shuttle was truly uplifting, the rest of the facility did seem somewhat dated and haphazardly arranged.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
^^It's a quick setup. The whole shuttle exhibit is really the only thing that needs to be worked on for a permanent part of the CA Science Center.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
LAT said:

Space shuttle Endeavour inches closer to completion of final exhibit

As if they were performing delicate surgery, a crew inside the California Science Center museum hoisted a 3,000-pound portable space lab and storage pod inside the space shuttle Endeavour's huge cargo bay Thursday, reuniting the retired orbiter with a piece of equipment it used on some missions over its two decades of flight.

It was just one small step that, along with the installation of a replica robotic arm, airlock and docking system, moves the last shuttle ever built closer to becoming the nation's most complete iteration of the grounded aircraft on exhibit.

None of the other shuttles on display have equipment in the cargo bay. Endeavour's final pose will also be unique: It will be the only one of the three retired shuttles that orbited the Earth —Endeavour, Atlantis and Discovery — to be posed with its nose pointing to the stars, just like when it flew into space.

The final exhibit is still four years away from being complete. But the installation of equipment, which will continue in the coming days at the temporary exhibit site, will offer the public a rare, brief chance to see Endeavour with both cargo bay doors open before they are closed after Oct. 21.

The next big steps for the Endeavour exhibit will probably happen next year, when construction of the $250-million Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center — its eventual home — begins.

The museum has so far raised about $100 million of the $250 million needed to complete it. It is expected to open in 2018.
http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-endeavour-lab-20141010-story.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts