1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
27,958 Posts
looks bigger

·
Registered
1 Posts
So the story behind the random colored seats is that when the arena was designed, the wives of the San Antonio Spurs players did not like the monotony of all black seats and felt that the arena needed to have an infusion of color. As a result they inserted random colored seats into the arena that are supposed to represent the confetti that falls from Cascarones, confetti filled eggs broken over the heads of friends.

And as far as flow is concerned, the weird sections of seats that are elevated are there so that the arena can host concerts with a stage in one end while having unobstructed views while still having lower level seats. The arena also hosts AHL hockey and thus can retract half the lower level seats much like Canseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

Having been to a few NBA arenas, the AT&T Center seems a lot more intimate than other venues. It was designed to be primarily for basketball and as a result puts the crowd really close to the court, even in the upper decks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
So the story behind the random colored seats is that when the arena was designed, the wives of the San Antonio Spurs players did not like the monotony of all black seats and felt that the arena needed to have an infusion of color. As a result they inserted random colored seats into the arena that are supposed to represent the confetti that falls from Cascarones, confetti filled eggs broken over the heads of friends.

And as far as flow is concerned, the weird sections of seats that are elevated are there so that the arena can host concerts with a stage in one end while having unobstructed views while still having lower level seats. The arena also hosts AHL hockey and thus can retract half the lower level seats much like Canseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

Having been to a few NBA arenas, the AT&T Center seems a lot more intimate than other venues. It was designed to be primarily for basketball and as a result puts the crowd really close to the court, even in the upper decks.
Oh thats pretty cool how it ties into the culture of the area...I assumed they were just randomly thrown in there. But you're right it does look really intimate, but just due to the fact it accommodates a good amount of other configurations well it looks a little awkward in its basketball layout. At least its unique, if anything...can't stand the cookie cutters of the likes of New Orleans, Philadelphia, etc.

·
I double dog dare you!!!
707 Posts
1st NBA team to debut a new arena and win a championship that same year 2002-2003 season.

·
I double dog dare you!!!
707 Posts
Well they are the 3rd actually to my knowledge. The 1989 Pistons won in their first year in the Palace. And the 2000 Lakers won it in their first year at Staples Center...
Really??? I'll have to check that out. I could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts