Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to San Antonio in June to see Combichrist and Julien-K play. here's the pics.

click for big pano

off to the concert...

julien-k

Combichrist

what are these ruins?

-

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the comments and good luck with school there.

san antonio's great without a massive skyline, but i do have to agree a little on the skyline...seeing as the hotel i stayed at, the marriott rivercenter, is the tallest building (tower of the americas is a tower, not a building...technically) and it was built what, 15+ years ago, if not more?

i'd like to see a couple breathtaking new towers (like what austin's getting) and the streetcar project to link up the neighborhoods to the CBD.

-

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Interesting photos. I like you showed what appears to be some of the rougher areas. Downtown San Antonio is a fantastic place to visit. It is exceptional, at least for a Texas city, at the street level. Undoubtedly it lacks an impressive skyline for a city/metro of it's size but I would still say it's the best built environment of any Texas city's downtown, and among the best in all of the Sunbelt. Most of the taller, newer buildings do seem to be hotels, and I get the impression much of the retail, restaurants, etc. rely on tourism rather than office workers, and other locals. I do think adding some substantial office buildings to the mix would be a plus. I also think downtown San Antonio would be a fantastic place to live. I know there has been some new residential construction, and I believe some renovation of older buildings to residential as well. San Antonio is a great place to visit, and I am very glad to have such a city as a neighbor. Anyways, thanks for sharing your photos LSyd.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would agree with Nic, San Antonio is a great city, full of food, fun, and culture. And even though it's downtown can't really compare to austin, dallas, and houston as far as modern architecture, it's rather large with quite a few attractions like rivercenter, at&t center, the riverwalk and all the shops and restaurants that dot it. I would say the city's biggest flaw is the sprawl...the whole city relys on the freeway system, which is rather impressive, but it can only do so much. san antonio is shooting proposals for a better transportation system with streetcars, lightrail, etc. however from what the news reports, much of the city is suprisingly against it. anyway, all in all, great city, but i am ready to move back home to austin though :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Very very awesome pics! I loveee San An.

Question: Why is there a picture of the flag of Castilla y León? In one of the pictures, there is a Mexican flag, Texan flag, American flag, etc.

(That flag)

·
Banned
50 Posts
I like the street shots but the photos of newer large buildings together appear tan and drab.
Is there a code in SA that says every new building must be the color of sand and look boring?

And the overall view of the skyline is embarrassing.
The buildings don't flow - there is no symmetry.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Interesting photos. I like you showed what appears to be some of the rougher areas. Downtown San Antonio is a fantastic place to visit. It is exceptional, at least for a Texas city, at the street level. Undoubtedly it lacks an impressive skyline for a city/metro of it's size but I would still say it's the best built environment of any Texas city's downtown, and among the best in all of the Sunbelt. Most of the taller, newer buildings do seem to be hotels, and I get the impression much of the retail, restaurants, etc. rely on tourism rather than office workers, and other locals. I do think adding some substantial office buildings to the mix would be a plus. I also think downtown San Antonio would be a fantastic place to live. I know there has been some new residential construction, and I believe some renovation of older buildings to residential as well. San Antonio is a great place to visit, and I am very glad to have such a city as a neighbor. Anyways, thanks for sharing your photos LSyd.
Agree with what you said, Nic. I'm currently in Houston for my cousin's wedding. I visited San Antonio this past Thursday and I really enjoyed it, in spite of the heat (it was 90 that day). Went to the Alamo, the Ripley's Museum and Riverwalk. I've seen pictures of the Alamo and Riverwalk many times, but they are way more impressive in person. And it is very impressive at street level. I went to downtown Houston earlier today. I will say that Houston does have a very impressive Downtown skyline and Uptown's skyline is no slouch either, but the streets seemed a lot quieter than I expected them to be. I too would like to see a few more office towers (or high-rise condos) in downtown SA to really fill in the skyline and give the city a downtown skyline that fits its size.

·
Banned
333 Posts
Who ever posted that the city residents are against the new transportation movement is incorrect. Big time. There has been no legitimate polling done to indicate any position. Also, when it comes to mass transit you going to hear the negative "nay" voice tens times more than you'll here the "yay" voice when in comes to the media. However, I'd say city wide, any vote would pass.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
I think San Antonio is just another victim of a city whose downtown is far away from where the movers and shakers live, so they build offices closer to home. Albuquerque is the same way. We have over half a million people but our Downtown is nothing but bars and government buildings. The power crowd lives light years away and they all have their little 3 and 4 story office buildings closer to their gated communities :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts