SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Wow this airport is actually quite nice. Not very busy at all. Why does the IE need 2 international airports again?
San Bernardino is repositioning itself to compete in the category of first-tier cities and is attempting to re-establish itself as one of southern California's three urban cores, alongside both Los Angeles and San Diego.

The southern California (SCAG and SanDAG) region needs the facilities to meet projected demand, but commitments are required to enhance the reliability and the capacity of ground access in the form of California High-Speed Rail and Metrolink. Travel times on the 10 between West L.A. and ONT, for instance, are expected to quadruple over the next couple of decades.

SCAG's long-term plans, incidentally, also include the creation of a third airport at March Air Reserve Base. The California High-Speed Rail alignment that includes stations at Ontario International Airport and March Air Reserve Base, as well as in the soon-to-be transit-rich city center of San Bernardino, would, as such, fully integrate the rail and aviation systems in the Inland Empire.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
This is news for me, didn't know SB had an International Airport. Unless were talking about Ontario International...Hm?

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
I heard that Ontario Airport was in financial difficulties due to low volume. Having two such airports in the IE would hurt both IMO. However, at least as far as I can tell from reading Wikipedia, San Bernardino Airport appears not be catering to passengers as yet:

San Bernardino International Airport has a renovated passenger terminal capable of handling scheduled commercial service[6]. However, no scheduled commercial operations or airlines occupy the terminal.

The terminal was redeveloped by a company controlled by convicted felon Scot Spencer and another company controlled by Spencer was awarded a 25 year contract to run the terminal. The development company controlled by Spencer, which had no prior experience in airport development, bought used equipment from the old American Airlines terminal at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, including 20 to 36 year-old jetbridges and seats, which it refurbished for use at SBIA. The audit/grand jury report concluded that the jetbridges were likely already at the end of their lifecycles, were unsuitable for the type of aircraft that SBIA was likely to attract and that new seats could likely have been bought for half the cost of the refurbished seats[1

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
The area around the airports north side is very seedy and very high crime. Fields full of trash littered everywhere. With ONT/LA performing at low capacity, this airport seems like a waist of money. idk.....

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
I heard that Ontario Airport was in financial difficulties due to low volume. Having two such airports in the IE would hurt both IMO. However, at least as far as I can tell from reading Wikipedia, San Bernardino Airport appears not be catering to passengers as yet:
^^ oh damn!

Isn't Ontario more like a cargo airport. I always see more UPS birds than passenger birds?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I heard that Ontario Airport was in financial difficulties due to low volume. Having two such airports in the IE would hurt both IMO.
The problem with ONT is that the City of Los Angeles owns the airport and has continued to raise fees there with the result of directing demand to LAX, which is within L.A.'s city limits.

ONT has, by far, the highest cost per enplaned passenger in the southern California mega-region.

You can join the effort to "Set ONTario Free" here:

http://SetONTarioFree.com/

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The area around the airports north side is very seedy and very high crime. Fields full of trash littered everywhere. With ONT/LA performing at low capacity, this airport seems like a waist of money. idk.....
San Bernardino International Airport has been built on the site of a decommissioned air-force base that employed more than 10,000 people. As the base closed in the 1990's, the surrounding area, as one would expect, became a ghost town and some of the buildings were demolished leaving vacant lots.

The City of Highland has jurisdiction over the North side of the airport where little new development has occurred, but the South and East sides have seen extensive new construction in the form of airport-related light-industrial buildings, including nanotechnology and aerospace laboratories, e. commerce distribution centers, and creative-technical studios.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts