SkyscraperCity Forum banner
941 - 960 of 1630 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Here's an SDUT article about the proposals for the park and accompanying sails atop Navy Pier.

Skyscraper-sized 'wings' proposed for Navy Pier
Midway aircraft carrier museum proposes $68 million plan with 500-foot-high sail-like structures; critics say views will be blocked

Written by Roger Showley

The Midway aircraft carrier museum proposed the concept as part of a $68 million development on the adjacent Navy Pier, where a five-acre Veterans Park would be built above the existing parking lot, with a permanent home for the San Diego Symphony’s Summer Pops concerts and the wings.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/nov/08/skyscraper-sized-wings-sculpture-proposed-navy-pie/

·
Registered
389 Posts
And in the same neighborhood, here's some news about the North Embarcadero Visionary Plan's progress:

Port awards waterfront bid, 22.5% below estimate
North Embarcadero beautification to begin in January, complete in mid-2013

The first phase of the North Embarcadero Visionary Plan (NEVP) beautification project will cost the port $18.4 million, 22.5 percent below the engineer's estimate, according to the staff report accepted by the San Diego Unified Port District board this week.

USS Cal Builders of Stanton, Orange County, won the bid for the work expected to begin in January and be completed in mid-2013.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/nov/10/port-awards-waterfront-bid-225-below-estimate/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone,
This is my first post. I'm from Oside but have been living in Raleigh for the last 13 years. Would love to see some current construction update photos if any of you have some free time. Thanks. 15th and Island looks awesome, hope it goes up!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hi everyone,
This is my first post. I'm from Oside but have been living in Raleigh for the last 13 years. Would love to see some current construction update photos if any of you have some free time. Thanks. 15th and Island looks awesome, hope it goes up!
Hi Matty, welcome to the San Diego thread. Many of the downtown building projects are public projects. I took these photos of the new central library on Christmas Day, and will try to take some status photos of other downtown projects, when I get the chance, including City College's expansion.

Here's what the finished library should look like:

This is the view from the South, from the intersection of 11th Avenue and Park Blvd, which I think is a ceremonial entrance of sorts:

This the view from the southwest, from the corner of K Street and 11th Avenue.

This a view up 11th Avenue from K St. & 11th Ave. It gives an idea how the new library building relates to the other buildings and spaces on 11th.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the updates guys and / or girls. Does anyone have information as to new San Diego (City) fire stations being built? I know that's random but I've got some personal interest in the growth of the SDFD. The CCDC website is showing 2 new stations currently under review. One is the Bayside station. Looks like it's on Cedar between California St and Pacific Hwy. The other is The East Village station on C St between 13th and 14th. Does anyone know if the City is building other stations anywhere outside of the CBD? Thanks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thanks for the updates guys and / or girls. Does anyone have information as to new San Diego (City) fire stations being built? I know that's random but I've got some personal interest in the growth of the SDFD. The CCDC website is showing 2 new stations currently under review. One is the Bayside station. Looks like it's on Cedar between California St and Pacific Hwy. The other is The East Village station on C St between 13th and 14th. Does anyone know if the City is building other stations anywhere outside of the CBD? Thanks.
The Fire station in East Village is actually proposed for land on the north side of Broadway, not C Street. This land has appeared to be used continuously as a storage by the Salvation Army for all 3.5 years I've lived in S.D. I can't remember if I read, or just assumed, but I think it won't be built until more development occurs in the Centre City. I'm guessing that won't happen for a while, with very little housing going up. Redevelopment Corporations (e.g. CCDC) have been discontinued by the state to help them balance their budget, and the CA Supreme Court recently upheld a challenge, which call's CCDC's future into question:

Here's an article by Roger Showley in the SDUT on the topic of redevelopment corporations:
How redevelopment wind-down will get messy
Lots of players to pick over the redev carcass
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2011/dec/31/how-redevelopment-wind-down-will-get-messy/

My own opinion is that it will just be a matter of (who knows how much) time before downtown development picks up. I don't think it's a question of "if" it will pick up, but rather that it's a matter of the economy needing enough time to generate enough additional housing sales and demand in downtown.

·
Registered
389 Posts
FWIW: the CCDC site shows a projected competion date for the Bayside station in April of 2013.

http://www.ccdc.com/projects/major-downtown-projects/projects-landing-page/little-italy/1020-bayside-fire-station-(bayside).html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks guys. SDFD recently tried to get accredited, which is basically bragging rights for a FD. It pretty much means youve got all your stuff in order. The accredidation council more or less laughed at SDFD. They told them that they need at least 20-25 new stations and 600 more firefighters before they could even begin to consider revisiting the accredidation process. For comparison, according to Wikipedia, San Diego ranks between San Antonio and Dallas in population, with 1.197M and 1.327M respectively. Dallas operates 55 fire stations, and SA has 50. Currently SD has 48 stations including 1 at Lindbergh. The unique topography of the SD area causes questionable response times, especially on the north and east sides of the city, which is why so many new stations are needed. I know I've gotten off topic here and nobody probably cares about the FD but its a real problem right now and you guys should be concerned with the city gambling with your safety.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The city/state has no money to fix roads so it's no surprise they lag in fire stations and pretty much everything else right now.

Yes, the last two big fires in San Diego have shown how ill prepared both the city and state are.

FYI, Cardiff is in the process of building a new fire station next to their old ancient one right now.

With the states recent changes in redevelopment funding it will be interesting to see what effect it has on smaller projects like fire stations. Everyone was so focused on big projects the little basic services seemed to have been forgotten.

·
Je suis tout à vous
16,566 Posts
The Waterfront to beautify San Diego broke ground 3 days ago. :cheers:.

After 15 years of public planning and collaboration, a project that beautifies the San Diego waterfront will finally begin.

The North Embarcadero Visionary Plan Phase I Project, which incorporates an area on North Harbor Drive - from the Navy Pier to the B Street Pier and a portion of West Broadway - will break ground Thursday, January 5, 2012, at 10:00 a.m. The event is open to the public.

The Port of San Diego, City of San Diego and Centre City Development Corporation (CCDC) will celebrate its start with a groundbreaking ceremony on the western edge of Lane Field, located at the corner of West Broadway and North Harbor Drive.
http://www.portofsandiego.org/north...andiego&fb_ref=article_top&fb_source=timeline

·
Registered
389 Posts
Matty, I think development of fire stations is perfectly on topic.

Corey, thank you for the video of the waterfront. Do you have any idea what visible change we will see first? I've taken the CCDC downtown bus tour, and they said something that helps one visualize the orientation of the final product. The promenade will take up about the width from the bay to the street's median, and then the street will essentially be halved. My understanding is that the lost traffic capacity is more than made up for by the Pacific Highway, leaving the bayfront a place that is more oriented to humans than autos.

Oh, also, here's a recent article that lists some notable proposed developments, sorted by the year in which they are (were) projected to be completed.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jan/06/134-billion-total/

And here's one about the big picture of development and construction in San Diego, posing the question of whether the City is in the final stages of a golden era, or if we will launch a new one. It doesn't answer the question, just poses it. This second one is by Roger Showley.: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jan/07/billions-construction-ahead/?page=1#article

·
Il cabrone
844 Posts
Cross-border airport terminal gets S.D. council's OK

A proposal for a privately financed and operated cross-border terminal in Otay Mesa that would serve Tijuana’s A.L. Rodríguez International Airport took an important step forward Tuesday, receiving the unanimous backing of the San Diego City Council.

The $78 million project would be the first of its kind on the U.S.-Mexican border. The terminal would connect directly to the Tijuana airport through a unique port of entry — a 525-foot pedestrian bridge that could be used only by ticketed passengers.

“It is a very exciting project for the South County, in reality for the entire region,” said Councilman David Alvarez, whose southern district includes Otay Mesa. “This project provides the region with convenient access to a major international airport that has the capacity for future growth.”

The facility is a for-profit venture headed by Otay-Tijuana Ventures LLC. The investors include billionaire Sam Zell’s Equity Group Investments, as well a group of Mexican investors who operate the Tijuana airport, the Grupo Aeroportuario del Pacifico.

The City Council approved an amendment to the community plan that allows construction of the facility in an area that had been earmarked for industrial use. It clears the way for building the terminal, as well as a hotel, a parking structure and some commercial space, Alvarez said.

Mark Rowson, who is representing the developers, said the city’s action “is a very important approval. It demonstrates to the federal authorities that the city of San Diego stands behind the project.”

Rowson said before construction can begin, the developers still need to obtain federal approvals in U.S. and Mexico. The project received a critical presidential permit from the U.S. State Department for the cross-border bridge in Aug. 2010.

Under the current schedule, the developers hope to begin construction this year and finish within 15 months.

“This terminal will make it dramatically more convenient for San Diegans to fly in and out of Tijuana, while at the same time reducing traffic congestion at other nearby border crossings,” said San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jan/10/cross-border-airport-terminal-gets-sd-councils-ok/

·
Registered
389 Posts
Even though this is probably the project that has the smallest direct impact on me, of the projects I follow, it probably makes me happiest to hear that its moving forward. Its very creative and it just makes too much sense to not do. It's got to be a very good value for what I'm guessing is a small investment, and it will save time for would-be passengers, and congestion at the border. What's not to love about this!

·
Registered
5,486 Posts

The Maritime Museum of San Diego said:
The Maritime Museum of San Diego is building a full-sized, fully functional, and historically accurate replica of Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo’s San Salvador capitana or flagship of the Spanish expedition which first explored what is now the West Coast of the United States. As a dynamic, living exhibit and educational platform for school children, residents, and visitors, this replica ship will symbolize California’s multi-cultural origins, highlight the first encounters between Europeans and Native American populations, document the dawn of the scientific revolution, translate its significance and crucial lessons concretely for all visitors but particularly for K–12 students, demonstrate advances in maritime history, and celebrate Cabrillo’s contributions as the leader of the earliest European exploration of California.

The vessel--which is part of the Museum's plan to expand its collections and programmatic capacity--will be constructed in full public view at a prominent waterfront site, giving viewers the opportunity to watch from a close perspective as an example of the first modern industrial activity in the Americas comes to life before their eyes. After construction, San Salvador will remain on exhibit as part of the Museum's fleet of historic and replica ships and will travel along the California coast as an ambassador for San Diego.
Read More: http://www.sdmaritime.org/san-salvador/

·
Pipe Layer
778 Posts
^^^^Can't wait to see that thing cruising our bay!

Anyone see that editorial piece in the U-T this morning?

Think big — New vision needed for downtown waterfront
Thanks to pension and budget crises, government dysfunction and a political culture of suspicion and mistrust, San Diego sometimes seems to have lost its ability to think big. If our city is to reach its potential, this must change, starting — but only starting — with the need for a new stadium for the Chargers, an expansion of the Convention Center and, indeed, the broader downtown waterfront.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jan/22/think-big-think-big-new-vision-needed-for/?page=1#article

Check out the concept's footprint. Wow.
http://media.utsandiego.com/news/documents/2012/01/21/newstadiumplan.pdf

My only question is what happens to the operation at the port terminal along with the jobs it brings? Expand the National City port terminal?

941 - 960 of 1630 Posts