SkyscraperCity banner

561 - 580 of 596 Posts

·
Registered
18,315 Posts
North Hollywood Station TOD

Two options on the table here, but I think most will be in favor of this one.
Nice design for a hospital complex; terrible for housing. Little saps the vitality of an area like buildings that look alike and huge nondescript plazas connecting them. When you toss in the "affordable" aspect there is little to separate this from Commieblocks.

How about 4 different designs by different architects along a winding street? Smaller plazas with retail on them? Even the same lay-out with different designs and some separation from the constant flow of transit would be an improvement.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts

·
Registered
18,315 Posts
http://urbanize.la/post/east-valley-plans-transit-oriented-future

City to begin planning development along the path of the future Van Nuys Boulevard transit line, which could be either light rail or BRT.

[/IMG]
Not a priority. VN Blvd. moves smoothly all day long and there is sufficient bus service and adjacent parking. There is no obvious demand in the area as there is along Ventura, NoHo, Studio City, Woodland Hills.

The problem in the valley is the 405; put the money there.

·
Registered
336 Posts
It's great that the urban development in the San Fernando Valley is active in Woodland Hills, North Hollywood, Panorama City, North Hills, Mission Hills, Reseda, Valley Glen, and Sherman Oaks starting in 2017. Why is Van Nuys left out of urban development? That area needs more urban development and the last urban development project in Van Nuys was an LA Fitness back in 2012 and 2013.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I assume the paseo shopping will be oriented toward residents, not outsiders? Otherwise the 1000 parking spaces seems insufficient.
It appears from the site plan (although I could be wrong, the resolution is a little low to read all the text) that the residential components have their own garages on their bottom two floors, in addition to the 5-level commercial garage, which looks consistent with what's shown on the renderings. 1,060 spaces for 200k sf commercial space works out to about 1 space for every 190 square feet, which seems to be pretty standard for retail development (usually in the range of one space for every 150-250sf).

·
Registered
18,315 Posts
It appears from the site plan (although I could be wrong, the resolution is a little low to read all the text) that the residential components have their own garages on their bottom two floors, in addition to the 5-level commercial garage, which looks consistent with what's shown on the renderings. 1,060 spaces for 200k sf commercial space works out to about 1 space for every 190 square feet, which seems to be pretty standard for retail development (usually in the range of one space for every 150-250sf).
Makes sense if the residential parking is not included in the number. With no indoor elements they are not going to draw huge crowds in the summers. The theaters may be the real draw.

561 - 580 of 596 Posts