SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1244 Posts

·
Member, Winifred Fan Club
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

On 22 May, 2012, the ownership of the Golden State Warriors announced a proposal to move the NBA team to a waterfront site on San Francisco's Piers 30 and 32, at the foot of the Oakland-Bay Bridge. They plan to model the financing of the project on the San Francisco Giants' AT&T Park, where no municipal funding will be requested for actual construction and pier improvements, in exchange for a very favorable long-term lease on public lands, and all revenues from retail and parking concessions.

Construction of the 17,000-19,000 capacity arena is projected to cost $500,000,000 and it is hoped to be completed in time for the 2017 season.

EDIT: It's a done deal with City Hall and the City Supervisors. Now it's all about getting approval from all the strange state commissions.

No designs have been published yet, but here are a few renderings of the site (from the San Francisco Chronicle, and Future Cities-- click the link, more detail there):

·
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be very, very sad if they tore down Red's Java House. But if this arena is built, it will be the most beautifully located sporting venue in American sports.

·
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
straight-up BITIN'
Uh... did you read the part that said no designs have been published yet? Those are an artist's renditions of what an arena on that site would look like. People who propose massive building projects make renders like those, so people can imagine what something there might look like. Notice how the building was left intentionally fuzzy?

I don't even think an architect has been chosen yet, otherwise, they'd be up there at the press conference, sitting next to Lacob.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Maybe this is just a guess, but wouldn't this also mean another logo change? Once they move they will be facing the west side of the Bay Bridge not the east side going to Oakland

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
*cough* AAA-ripoff, try something new, huh? *cough*

Wow, cool idea, sort of reminds me of some other place... :)

·
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
*cough* AAA-ripoff, try something new, huh? *cough*

Wow, cool idea, sort of reminds me of some other place... :)
I guess you're alluding to the Miami Heat and American Airlines Arena, which was also built on a pier. Building structures on piers is not exactly something new.

And I guess building on solid land is also a pretty old idea so the Warriors can't do that either. I guess to impress people who want "something new" the Warriors should just put their arena on a platform and levitate it over San Francisco.

Seriously though... this proposed arena will look good from all angles... either with the city as a backdrop, the Bay Bridge and Treasure Island as a backdrop, even looking south with just the Bay and the Oakland industrial loading docks beyond as a backdrop. I can't wait to see actual designs come out... architects will have a field day.

But I bet the $500 million estimate is going to be closer to the $1 billion number in the end. This is San Francisco.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I think the vacant lots along 3rd Street across the channel (south) from AT&T Park would've been a better location. Lots of space to play with there.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I think the vacant lots along 3rd Street across the channel (south) from AT&T Park would've been a better location. Lots of space to play with there.
That would have also been a good site, but the light rail lines also stop right by here, BART stops closer and so do all the bus lines that run up Market so I like this site a little better from a transportation standpoint.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
This'll be a good site. If there's something at AT&T, and then something also at the new Arena, it'll be way too congested down in the King/4th Street areas. This location is closer to BART, MUNI and the Marin ferries as well. And 19,000 is only half the what? 43,000 who go to a Giants game!!

1 - 20 of 1244 Posts