SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Yup, I'd agree with all of those and I am partial to Citizen's Bank park in Philly even if the bowl is a little too split up for my tastes , I love that they actually went for an angular bowl though.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
PNC, Petco and Target all disagree...
I like PNC, but PETCO and Target, especially PETCO are a little over the top for my tastes. PETCO could have been something special. San Diego has great weather, the best in the major leagues, it's in a nice location. But it's as quirky and contrived as any park in baseball. The wierd towers, the gaps in the second deck. Target seems nice but I'm not a fan of the tacky overhang in RF, the colors are bland, and I'm not into the split-upper deck feature.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I like Target simply because the designers made the most out of the little space they had to work with. Although some of the outfield seating views are obstructed, you could argue the same for just about any new stadium or ballpark built within the last 20 years. As for PETCO, I believe they tried a little too hard with the towers. A simple 3 tiered design with no gaps would've been just fine. The location can't be beat. Back to AT&T, the thing I appreciate most about this place is the same thing I like about Target...Small footprint, natural quirkiness, and the view is the best of any in baseball

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I like PNC, but PETCO and Target, especially PETCO are a little over the top for my tastes. PETCO could have been something special. San Diego has great weather, the best in the major leagues, it's in a nice location. But it's as quirky and contrived as any park in baseball. The wierd towers, the gaps in the second deck. Target seems nice but I'm not a fan of the tacky overhang in RF, the colors are bland, and I'm not into the split-upper deck feature.
I understand where you're coming from concerning the loft towers at Petco but they only obstruct the views a scant few seats so they don't really bother me all that much. The split upper deck at Target doesn't bother me at all like it does at NYS. I also like the fact that the two parks eschewed the red brick/green steel pseudo-retro schtick for something more contemporary and befitting of the cities in which they were built (all of the materials used in the construction of Target Field came from within the state of Minnesota, such as the kasota limestone featured prominently around the park).

If both places got rid of those stupid "notches" in RF I wouldn't have any problem with either.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Back to AT&T, the thing I appreciate most about this place is the same thing I like about Target...Small footprint, natural quirkiness, and the view is the best of any in baseball
^^

it might follow the retro trend but it's not nearly as gaudy or pretentious as most of the others

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I understand where you're coming from concerning the loft towers at Petco but they only obstruct the views a scant few seats so they don't really bother me all that much. The split upper deck at Target doesn't bother me at all like it does at NYS. I also like the fact that the two parks eschewed the red brick/green steel pseudo-retro schtick for something more contemporary and befitting of the cities in which they were built (all of the materials used in the construction of Target Field came from within the state of Minnesota, such as the kasota limestone featured prominently around the park).

If both places got rid of those stupid "notches" in RF I wouldn't have any problem with either.

We in Minnesota did however end up with kelly green seats, and for no good reason that I can tell other than they mesh with the ash-backed club seats better than blue (the dominant team color) would have. But that is probably my biggest gripe with the park (the right field overhang is a little annoying to I suppose, should have either cantilevered the whole thing with bleachers or just left it flush), so all in all pretty great.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The capacity may be listed as 41,915 here, but this place can accomodate over 43,000 even with an auxiliary press area in the upper deck in LF.

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
In 2013, AT&T Park will become the third venue to host the final of the World Baseball Classic, after Petco Park (in 2006) and Dodger Stadium (in 2009).

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
the only people that didn't show up to the WBC were the rich folks
It was cold, rainy, and the game started at 5 p.m. on a normal workday. It's hard for most to get to the Phone Booth in time for a game starting at seven. I'm surprised that there were that many in attendance.

41 - 60 of 260 Posts