Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1075 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The fact that the lines for BART, the 522 BRT, and the Rapid 523 (the San Jose portions of them at least), are not on the "light rail" map is a devastating tragedy.

Someone needs to demand in a public meeting that this be done.
New here. I have modified the VTA map to add BART, BRT and Caltrain. Is there a way to post a file? or does it have to hosted somewhere on the internet?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
the 'silver' lining about the slow going at silvery is that we may have several more cranes in the air before those 2 come down. modera for sure, likely the graduate, and hopefully greyhound and #diridon, longshot for SJSC, does vespaio on stockton count?

one can only wish.
It would be great to see a few more cranes. Some actual development to go along with all the street construction that is occurring (literally every street around San Pedro). I believe some of the developments are waiting due to the looming BART phase II construction. Leasing with torn up streets would be a nightmare... but if a project align its construction and opened at around the same time, money might rain from the sky.

Trammel might be bullish on downtown, but they never build without a major tenant. Diridon is no exception, especially as that floating bridge element probably prevents phasing. If someone leased it tomorrow, Don would drive an excavator down from SF. The "cycle ending for a generation" has no relation. Wait for SVBJ or someone to report a lease.

Just drove by to check it out. HOLY HELL, since when did they dug THAT? hole is 2 story deep I think?
Only looks about one story once leveling, foundation, structure, etc taken into account. About the same depth as Marshall Square which is also moving fast and looks possibly ready to go vertical by end of this month.

Sorry, been quiet a while as forgot password hasnt been working. I finally broke and sent an nasty email to support. Surprisingly responsive.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Great contact to have within the planning dept. Can we have more of these scoops on these types of projects in the future? Good Job! Looks like the SVBJ will have to copy your blog on this development. :)
This could be a great project. The lot was originally planned for townhomes right?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I hope Google doesn't choose to alter the current TC plan & turn it into a series of low rise office buildings. That would be a huge disappointment IMHO. The current iteration of the Trammell Crow proposal is a perfect gateway into DTSJ from W. Santa Clara St. Let Trammell Crow move forward ASAP on their current proposal that I believe is one that best enhances DTSJ's skyline.
I doubt they would alter the towers. Maybe the residential tower can become an office tower.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Great pictures! The holes for Marshall Square and Modera appeared fast. I always believed the Silvery Tower team was sandbagging. I walked by every day and the site averaged 3-5 people while digging All the complaints that underground parking delays projects is BS. The pedestrian interface is the number one priority and theres no way to fix it later once you build podium parking.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The SAP main lot location is perfect for the food and entertainment portion of the development. it's location serves both the north and south diridon development areas equally and could serve as a connector to the two. if event parking was allowed in the garages google will build for employees, it's a win win for everyone.

it could also be a boon to the sharks by creating an arena adjacent amenities district for fans, something many other nhl/nba cities have done. LA, phoenix, dallas, detroit, sacramento, columbus and more all have developed adjacent restaurant/bar scene for fans pre and post game entertainment. keeping up with the jones' is necessary for SAP to remain a viable venue for the sharks to call home.
Completely agree. Just surprised after the Shark's lawsuit over the Diridon towers. I'm curious if TC, Google and SJC have already gotten or plan to get the Sharks on board early and if an entertainment destination would be part of the plans. The negotiations will have to answer a lot of questions. Its hard to expect a private entity to build multiple public benefits tangent to their business needs: porous small blocks urban plan, retail ground floor, pedestrian friendly, event parking, entertainment district, etc. Its a big opportunity and maybe Google's vision aligns with the general public and our understanding of urban environment, but assuming is dangerous. As they say "the devil is in the details".

As the development partner, maybe TC will actually do all the planning/development and Google is just guaranteeing they want and will lease the 8 million sf of office space (based on some development schedule). :cheers: Heres to hoping DP's crystal ball and eye of newt glean useful information or Kim is allowed to share insights.:cheers:

many of the newer tech campus' have been trending in this direction so i'm not sure why everyone just assumed the new urban development at diridon would be built in the eye of a suburban mtn view office park. for this development to fit into the fabric of DTSJ, open development of at least the ground floor should be a mandate.

what twitter did in it's SF offices could be a good compromise as well
http://www.visitthemarket.com/
I believe Adobe originally wanted to open their new cafes to the public. Etsy in NY provides stipends for their employees to patron the local businesses. Hopefully, Google and the city figure out a win-win.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
They could always build something on top of it. The flat top helps. It’s been done before.
Sadly the existing structure prevents building any higher due to building and fire codes (structural upgrade cost $$$). While better than the existing, the design is quite plain and unoriginal (so much for authenticity). Hopefully a tenant adds some creative flair. Someday a tower would be ideal if combined with an additional parcel.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I am amazed how everyone expects government to intervene in private property and to freeze time so neighborhood character never changes.

http://www.sanjoseinside.com/2017/0...tral-san-jose-will-downtown-ever-be-the-same/

They are totally mothballing this corner for the post-BART redevelopment cycle.

The exterior as shown in that rendering is hideous design. Obviously the owner does not see this building as anything other than a land bank investment and is only willing to remodel on the cheap.

The only explanation to justify that 80s-era office park look is the owner is keeping costs down by slapping on a cheap skin - just enough to rent it out to break even while biding time until the BART subway is finished or near-finished enough that the land value at that corner skyrockets.
The developer actually has plans to lease the project immediately and during the construction (Blue Bottle wants to open ASAP). I'll believe it when I see it but that is their official plan currently. While the exterior is extremely boring, the designs for the interior are really nice and should easily attract a tenant.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Again, *I* am 100% certain that Google will be building housing as part of its DTSJ complex.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/google-bets-on-modular-homes-to-fill-housing-demand-1497448838
DTSJ is very different from North Bayshore with its limited traffic access (3 clogged roads) and zero public transit. With~20 towers approved in Downtown, street access to 3 freeways and nearby neighborhoods (including growing midtown) in addition to multiple transit lines... I doubt Google will spends its money and space on housing. Especially since landlords cannot restrict/or discriminate in leasing to tenants.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
That statement is just plain wrong in regard to public transit.

Light rail: http://www.vta.org/getting-around/interactive-light-rail-map

VTA Bus:
- Route 81: http://www.vta.org/routes/rt81
- ACE Orange Shuttle: http://www.vta.org/routes/rt824

MVGo Shuttles: http://mvgo.org/maps-and-schedule.html

MV Automated Guideway Transportation studies: https://mountainviewagtfeasibility.com/
Keywords "limited traffic access"

Lightrail stops at the Caltrain station 4 miles away. That last mile generally takes 20-30 minutes in rush hour.

Route 81 goes to Ames. Ames is connected to the Googleplex by pedestrian bridges crossing Stevens Creek.

Automated guideway is a study... Not existing (also it is an attempt to releave the congestion)

ACE has low ridership so not sure how much the Orange shuttle transfer helps.

101 is the only freeway and provides three off ramps.

Diridon has adjacent neighborhoods (walking distance), three freeways providing 9 off ramps, and many transit options with no last mile requirement.

Not trying to put down MV. Just stating what we all know, that diridon is the most commute accessible location in the valley (especially when Bart connects). San Jose will need to add housing for the Google employees.... But it does not "have to" be located immediately adjacent similar to the Menlo Park Facebook campus and the MV Google campus. Diridon is more similar to San Francisco.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
As explained, I responded to your claim of "zero public transit" - which is wrong.

And it appears you failed to notice this:
MVGo Shuttles: http://mvgo.org/maps-and-schedule.html

I'm not disputing the benefits or superiority of DTSJ, just your inaccurate claims about MV's "zero public transit."

Then, maybe, you should have been more measured in your words and avoided hyperbole - because you *did* put MV down. The city has earned its lumps in many places, but to use your words: "zero public transit" north of 101 is not one of them. I'm going to chalk this up to honest ignorance on your part.
I stand by my statement. If a car practically does not work... it does not work. If North Bayshore practically has no public transit... It has no public transit. Im sorry if that offends you. Parts of MV have great PT access but not North bayshore. Diridon might have great PT access but vast swaths of SJ do not.
(For clarity, a bus or train line alone does not equal public transit. Public Transit has to be: frequent, reliable, easy to use, *as best as possible* single seat, quick transfers to additional routes and *ideally* all day service)

That being said, my point still stands that development policy for Diridon does not need to match development policy for North Bayshore. Just because Goggle plans to build housing in North bayshore does not mean that housing has to be built at Diridon. 500 housing units sound great. 2-3000 housing units sounds like a wasted opportunity because...: Last mile is an issue adjacent to employment not housing, Entertainment districts adjacent to housing generally causes friction (noise, traffic and celebrations/after parties after a game or concert), there is a lot of housing projects in the pipeline within walking distance or 30 minute transit, SJ has a housing/employment imbalance and this is the most accessible employment district in the county.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I wonder if the whole Diridon business is a ruse, to be used to as a bargaining chip with MV.

takes off tin foil hat

I'm sure it doesn't hurt the negotiations though.
If theyre still buying property, I doubt its just a bargaining chip. Trammell Crow is not investing millions and without a plan and a tenant.
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/29/google-partner-trammell-crow-buys-more-downtown-san-jose-properties/

In total now that's $134.5 million in private properties.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
If you want to enjoy downtown, this is your moment! It's the heyday of downtown that's expected to last 9 more months. It will then come crashing down with lots of closures and disappointing progress. I know the downtown's DNA so well. Come and enjoy downtown which is a as good it gets. Hurry before the fun is over for a long time!
Im sorry DP. I do enjoy the "occasional" inside info you provide... but your personal opinions are purely doom and gloom. I have grown up in the always underachieving San Jose... but as a millennial member of the ACE industry doing everything to undo the crackpot ideas of "Dutch" Hamann, I see lots of progress and more to hope for. Every time I tour people through DTSJ (whether from Fresno, Los Gatos or SF) they are amazed, excited and interested in returning. Are you trying to scare people off to make a speculative profit? or were you hurt by a romantic love in San Jose?

1 - 20 of 1075 Posts