Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
The car wash at the corner of W. San Carlos & Bird is surrounded by a fence, along with the other adjacent properties.

As far as I remember, the car wash was never reported by the many Mercury News stories as being sold to Google.

I think Google is trying to keep more of these purchases under the radar & avoid the Mercury News' constant blabbing. I'm sure they're not happy with the publicizing of these inflated purchase prices. Makes their job harder.

I used to use that car wash once in a blue moon. Stopped after observed them washing manually with a big brush when they advertised as a "brushless car wash." Serves them right.
Actually if you look at the maps that the Mercury News has posted, you'll clearly see that the car wash is among the properties they list as having been bought by the Google venture.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Isn't it more than 3 under construction in downtown San Jose right now?

And would you prefer that zero proposals are made so that no lag exists between the number of proposals and the reality of construction?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hank Coca's Furniture bldg. gets bought - Mercury News story

A fitness center is poised to open in downtown San Jose now that an East Bay company has purchased the site of a long-time furniture store that’s advertising closeout sales.

KSP Holdings, an affiliate of Pleasanton-based Leisure Sports, has bought a three-story building originally built in the 19th century and that since 1957 has been the site of Hank Coca’s Furniture store.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/06...-downtown-san-jose-fitness-club-google-adobe/

·
Registered
163 Posts
M. Ritchie apparently thinks the Battery Club in SF Financial District could be a good model for an more grand approach by combining some of those amenities with the fitness elements

·
Registered
163 Posts
SJ Merc Story

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/06/22/big-north-san-jose-toshiba-campus-bought-by-asian-investors/

A big office complex in north San Jose that’s leased to Toshiba has been bought by investors in Los Angeles led by a Hong Kong-based capital management group, a deal that suggests well-heeled buyers still hunger for Silicon Valley real estate.

GC Orchard Trimble paid $93.5 million on June 14 for a roughly 200,000-square-foot campus of three buildings at the corner of West Trimble Road and Orchard Parkway, according to Santa Clara County property filings.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Agreed. The hotel is a big part of the mixed-use activation and adjacent to the convention center.

Full Memo
While Dillabough has shown a desire to reevaluate the residential/hotel, the memo says nothing has been submitted. Any changes will require city council approval.

The council actually consented to the transfer last Tuesday and Liccardo finalized the transfer on Friday it appears.
Transfer memo
Actually not really correct to say it was already approved by the SJCC
the SJCC has it on its agenda for 6-26-18 (today)
the memo by the mayor and the councilman was to signal to the council that the mayor and the district 3 councilmember were on board

If you see today's agenda, link here:
https://sanjose.legistar.com/Meetin...-1E9B-4FF4-98AD-31EDB5702659&Options=&Search=

you'll find museum place on today's agenda

file #18-930
item # 2.19
Consent Agenda Actions Related to the Disposition and Development Agreement with Insight King Wah, LLC for the Assignment of Developer Interest in the Museum Place Project.

·
Registered
163 Posts
this was news already, some months ago, in the SJ Merc, here's the top of that and the link
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/02/zanottos-family-markets-plans-new-san-jose-small-sized-store/

SAN JOSE — Zanotto’s Family Markets plans a new store in San Jose that will feature a small-size format, a top company executive said.

The new store will be located near the corner of Southwest Expressway and Fruitdale Avenue. It will be part of a development known as Fruitdale Station that includes a 442-unit apartment complex, some small retail and a restaurant, said Troy Tibbils, president of Zanotto’s and co-owner of the family-owned chain’s three markets.

The new Zanotto’s Fruitdale Station store will be 8,000 square feet.

“I like to think of it as a best-of version of Zanotto’s,” Tibbils said. “We always say about 25 percent of our stuff produces 75 percent of our sales. At the new Fruitdale market, we will carry about 50 percent to 60 percent of what we have in the bigger format.”

·
Registered
163 Posts
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose...-sjc-san-jose-shanghai-service-suspended.html

Bizjournal just published the story. The service suspension is part of a company wide maintenance issue with their 787 engines.

I went researching CMTSJ last night. CMT used the church in its beginnings in the early 1980s. From the CMT website and founder's obituary:
Looks like this was in the SJ Merc on 7-17-18 already, here's a link and the top

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/07...-shanghai-apple-google-facebook-amazon-adobe/

Air China has decided to slash flights between Mineta San Jose International Airport and Shanghai, a decision that comes despite the airport’s big increases in passenger activity.

The air carrier is preparing to halt service on the route after Sept. 25, according to the airline and airport officials.

“Air China is discontinuing its San Jose-Shanghai nonstop flight effective Sept. 25, 2018, until further notice,” the air carrier stated.

The flights operated by Air China began in 2016.

“The reduced number of aircraft available arising from the maintenance of its Dreamliner fleet” was the primary reason Air China offered for its abrupt cancellation of the service.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Leisure sport decided to sell the furniture building on Santa Clara and 3rd after finding the building unsuitable for its gym location, instead, opting to locate on 2 N. 1st building. It's located on 1st/Santa Clara street and is 6 story tall.
SJ Merc is where Dirt Patch, I believe, grabbed his info

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/07...e-health-club-eyes-new-location-google-adobe/

and the top:

SAN JOSE — A historic furniture store building in downtown San Jose that was bought in mid-June has been placed back on the block — potentially at a big markup in price — by an East Bay company that now is eyeing a new site for a fitness and health club about two blocks away.

The building at 82 E. Santa Clara St. was bought on June 15 for $6.5 million by KSP Holdings, an affiliate of Pleasanton-based Leisure Sports, Santa Clara County property records show. Leisure Sports planned to open a health club in the three-story building that was constructed in 1883. At one time it was an Odd Fellows Hall, and starting in 1957, it was the site of Hank Coca’s Furniture Store, a long-time downtown fixture.

The East Santa Clara and South Second streets location, however, apparently wound up not being suitable enough for a future health and fitness club. It’s back up for sale now, according to a brochure obtained by this news organization that shows the building is being marketed by Kidder Mathews, a commercial realty brokerage.

Leisure Sports now is eyeing a building at 2 N. First St. and has reached a contract to purchase that property, according to at least three sources familiar with the transaction, which isn’t guaranteed to be concluded.

The building at North First and East Santa Clara streets totals 49,000 square feet and is six stories high.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Across from the newly renovated Penney building? I like. That intersection could use a lot of love.

Now I'm wondering what better uses for Hank Coca's might be down the line. Hopefully not...nothing
SJ Merc is where Dirt Patch likely grabbed his info

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/07...e-health-club-eyes-new-location-google-adobe/

and the top:

SAN JOSE — A historic furniture store building in downtown San Jose that was bought in mid-June has been placed back on the block — potentially at a big markup in price — by an East Bay company that now is eyeing a new site for a fitness and health club about two blocks away.

The building at 82 E. Santa Clara St. was bought on June 15 for $6.5 million by KSP Holdings, an affiliate of Pleasanton-based Leisure Sports, Santa Clara County property records show. Leisure Sports planned to open a health club in the three-story building that was constructed in 1883. At one time it was an Odd Fellows Hall, and starting in 1957, it was the site of Hank Coca’s Furniture Store, a long-time downtown fixture.

The East Santa Clara and South Second streets location, however, apparently wound up not being suitable enough for a future health and fitness club. It’s back up for sale now, according to a brochure obtained by this news organization that shows the building is being marketed by Kidder Mathews, a commercial realty brokerage.

Leisure Sports now is eyeing a building at 2 N. First St. and has reached a contract to purchase that property, according to at least three sources familiar with the transaction, which isn’t guaranteed to be concluded.

The building at North First and East Santa Clara streets totals 49,000 square feet and is six stories high.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Interesting. A few months ago they were telling prospective tenants it would be an Ace Hardware where the PFE is shown in this layout. I wonder if something has changed. The yellow space is confirmed as Growler USA (they have an ABC notice on the door). I would prefer ACE as I would hate to go to Lowes/Home Depot for simple hardware items, but PFE is a great local company. We have Sam's Feed close by so I would likely stick with them until Sam decides to retire and close up shop. The funny thing is, I sent PFE's president an email when Fontanetti's closed that it would be a great spot for them given all the pet friendly housing being built on the Alameda, lots of surface parking, with many future offices proposed nearby. Probably just a coincidence. Guess we will have to wait until Modera makes it official to see which store it is.

UPDATED: Just saw the above posts and SantaTeresaHills is correct, the website now lists ACE Hardware as the tenant.
do you have a link to the web site where it says ACE Hardware is going in there?
thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
why would they partner with gary for that venture when they already have trammel crow doing their bidding? i think it's more likely that he's seizing the investment opportunities prior to google arriving. his properties stand to gain serious value in the time between now and when google digs in, and even more once google's done. it may be a long game to play, but when nine figure payoffs are possible, it's worth the risk if you have the cash to pull it off. i think this is the same strategy jay paul is using in san jose.

does anyone know if they've started the tenant improvement work on those first 3 floors? it would usually take more than a month just for them to put the finishing touches on 150k sqft, let alone complete the whole interior build out. i don't see how they'll meet that october dateline. stranger things have happened though.
Federal Realty sez they are delivering the 700 Santana Row Splunk building in 2019

1 - 20 of 163 Posts