Skyscraper City Forum banner
23901 - 23920 of 30720 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Originally posted by flubuk
Started with a "C"!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C2SV

I thought this was going to be a SXSW competitor - even the logo looked similar - but it apparently died on the vine. A revival perhaps?
Yes you have a good memory. Can't believe that I already forgot about this event that I actually attended in the SoFa district during 2015 - 2016. Father time is wrecking havoc on my memory when I can't even remember what happened just several year ago. After doing a bit of googling, I do recall now all of the publicity it got here in DTSJ & how it might someday rival SXSW. The prime organizer of the C2SV event, Dan Pulcrano Metro newspaper CEO had a great vision of what this could do for DTSJ in terms of making this a destination city.

https://www.liquidagency.com/brand-exchange/c2sv-an-interview-with-dan-pulcrano/

Q: What are your hopes for this event?
A: I hope that people will be inspired and energized by the ideas that will be shared at the conference. I am personally excited about the VC Pitch Competition that we’ve organized for promising startups looking for funding. It would be wonderful to see an interesting new idea be launched at C2SV. I also think people will enjoy the level of entertainment that C2SV will bring to San Jose and enjoy dining here and walking around downtown.

In the long run, I hope this is the beginning of an important annual event that will attract people from all over the world to celebrate innovation and art here. San Jose has a vibrant culture with many talented and interesting people from all sorts of disciplines – and it should be recognized as an important cultural destination. I am hoping that C2SV can play a role in helping evolve the San Jose brand.
https://vimeo.com/163698877 - C2SV 2016: Creative Convergence Silicon Valley

It has been said by many people that because the S.F. Bay Area has so many top tier attractions going on virtually every week that it is very difficult for a new event to take root. In the bay area, we have all of the major sport franchises (Niners, Raiders(last year). Warriors, Sharks,Giants, A's, Earthquakes) along with major concerts going on somewhere in the 9-county bay area on a regular basis. Then we have many major amusement choices (Great America, Six Flags, Monterey bay Aquarium, etc.,along with the natural attractions of the beaches along our coast & the ability to drive to the Sierras or redwood preserves along the North Coast, the many wineries, etc ad infinitum. All of these competing attractions make it much more difficult for a new fledgling event like the C2SV to get noticed. All of these events are competing for people's attention & money so that a start up event like the C2SV had a high hurdle to climb just to get noticed in order to become a long term success. Someone with deep pockets & willingness to make a long term commitment would have to come along to make an event like C2SV a success.

OTOH, a city like Austin, Texas has no major league sports franchises, no beautiful ocean beaches, no Sierra Nevada mountain range nearby, no Yosemite or great Redwood forests, etc. to compete with. In addition, Austin lacks the sheer number of top tier venues like we have here in the bay area where A-list entertainers regularly perform. This helps an event like the SXSW in Austin standout due to the lack of competing attractions like we have here.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I'm glad it's out in the open now. I've been waiting to post this to my map. I have... hmm... concerns about his approach here and resulting long-term ramifications for support of housing from residents. Right now, I'll just stick with

A) both projects exit motor vehicle traffic on to verrrrrrry narrow Gifford. I live with this situation already on my own street and it really isn't great. But, admittedly, this design is as much to do with the city's stubborn insistence it knows best, and what's "best" are no new curb cuts on W San Carlos.
exiting traffic to a feeder street is standard practice. san carlos is the arterial for cars and pedestrians and you want to disrupt that artery as little as possible. there's also the break in the median at gifford so traffic will easily be able to proceed in either direction on san carlos whereas eastbound would be the only option with an exit on san carlos. the city actually got it right here, no new curb cuts on san carlos is best.

B) he's splitting these up, presumably because the senior housing project straddles different sides of the DSAP boundary. But, I wish this was one coherent mixed (age) property, eg The Kelsey, such that a unified project could better transition in to the interior of a SFR street *and* be economically feasible.
memory care facilities are akin to a modern nursing home and need to have strict control of how/where/when residents move in and out of the building. going with senior housing solves the on site affordable quota and making it memory care allows them to put in a poor door without a second thought from anyone.

C) he's both the developer and a professional architect, so really looking to see something above and beyond the Barry Box bell curve that, I don't know, actually relates to the period vernacular architecture of the neighborhood.
it's definitely in the realm of barry box (i have yet to meet a midrise that isn't) but it's on the higher end of that scale. it's certainly light years ahead of their hotel proposal across the street and delmas park apartments a few blocks down. of the existing and proposed midrise in dtsj, i'd say this design is easily in the top 5 and arguably in the top 3. i'm curious which proposals you think are better/worse than this.
hmmm...i figured you'd be supportive of this one since it's not a highrise. it actually looks like a solid proposal to me. of course, i'd rather see them put their chevron tower here, but apparently nobody is interested in taking advantage of the additional capacity the scenario 4 overlay allows in this area. or at least nobody wants to be the first one in the pool. here's some counterpoints to help ease your concerns.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Apartment rentals have slowed dramatically downtown with very few applicants looking at St. James and Sparq which have opened sales office recently. nearly 2,000 units will come online within the next few months with huge glut of residential units downtown, according to property managements.

·
Registered
737 Posts
hmmm...i figured you'd be supportive of this one since it's not a highrise. it actually looks like a solid proposal to me. of course, i'd rather see them put their chevron tower here, but apparently nobody is interested in taking advantage of the additional capacity the scenario 4 overlay allows in this area. or at least nobody wants to be the first one in the pool. here's some counterpoints to help ease your concerns.
Oh, well, concerns aren't opposition to the hypothetical but critiques of how that concept is proposed to be realized. I'm saying "yes, do that, and in the implementation we can improve it here and here and here."

For instance, I realize curb cuts on planned pedestrian thoroughfares--WSC in this instance--are generally bad and are frowned upon by the city. But, I also realize from day-to-day experience that two multifamily devs exiting on to the same narrow 1920s SFR residential street is going to be problematic (and both Gifford and Auzerais have problems with speeding cut-through traffic through residential areas). In this case, which is worse, the curb-cut on WSC or two on Gifford + traffic? It's a comparison of the weights of two negatives.

Re: architecture, neither project relates to the existing architecture in the neighborhood. And the memory care facility is particularly concerning as it faces SFR dating back to the 1920s with very specific vernacular; the disconnect is both jarring and, given that the dev is a local architect, below his professional capacity. edit1: It's not too much to ask to expect that facility to reference architecture from the late 19th and and early 20th centuries, like this 1931 apartment building in Portland.

Source: https://www.plandesignxplore.com/case-studies

It's certainly frustrating to be proactively welcoming of development, including BMR--even as most of SJ is NIMBY when anything is proposed, especially if it's low income (looking at you, Almaden, for getting up in arms about teacher housing)--and yet get fingers wagged at us when we ask that to be held up to certain standards.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oh, well, concerns aren't opposition to the hypothetical but critiques of how that concept is proposed to be realized. I'm saying "yes, do that, and in the implementation we can improve it here and here and here."
Many of these central neighborhoods have been very welcoming to change, and frankly a lot if change in a short time. The reality is any change brings both positive and negative externalities and it is understandable that people nearby want to have any investment benefit the neighborhood. I remember how much effort the neighborhood put in to make sure the Whole Foods on The Alameda didn't completely turn its back on The Alameda to be just another suburban Whole Foods Grocery store. The result, although a compromise, has worked out very well for The Alameda, but also Sharks fans and SAP visitors from all over San Jose. It also set a good precedent for development in the area to be more urban in feel. The alternative would have looked more like the new Smart and Final on San Carlos; basically just their suburban strip mall store design dropped in a dense walkable neighborhood. S&F has done little to add value to the West San Carlos corridor, and set a dangerous precedent for the corridor. WSC is blowing up, and without strong neighborhood involvement and feedback it will not be as good as it could be, and that would be a loss for all of San Jose. So I am glad to hear a pro-growth advocate who is also willing to put in the time to get it right. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Artistic Rendering of Downtown BART Station Block Development

Two urban concepts were on view today at the Valley Transportation Authority booth at the Downtown San Jose Farmers' Market. One was a drawing of what Santa Clara Street between First and Market streets may look like when BART is here and the giant parking lot / BART staging area is developed.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Dedicated bus lanes on Santa Clara but no bike lanes on it or Market? I know there aren't any bike lanes on either now, but what about the thousands of commuters who get off BART with their bikes?
I do like the solar panels on the top of the San Pedro garage. Some weird tall twin-tower version of the James there, too. (Edit) I see now in the next post that's a hotel on the corner of the block. James is totally blocked from view...:)

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
here's the full image from VTA's tod site:

https://www.vta.org/projects/bart-sv/phase-ii/transit-oriented-communities-study

not a bad start. looks like 2 office towers on santa clara st, a residential tower at market and st. john, and a hotel or another residential tower at 1st and st. john. i imagine there's some kind of plaza between the 4 buildings. it's definitely not the highest use, there should definitely be more office right there at the station. but like i said, it's not a bad start.

it'd be interesting to see all the other massing blocks in this frame: alterra 27, parkview, sparta, chevron, etc

·
Registered
2,841 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Tried to compile the projects on the West San Carlos/Stevens Creek corridor into a set of maps centered on each particular segment of the via. Did I miss any important ones?

Wow, nice work.

It's impressive to see all the projects displayed all at once like that!

You used the image for the Montgomery 7 proposal, but that's a block north, wedged between Park and Lorraine along Bird. The corner between Lorraine and WSC is Google's, and I haven't seen any images so far.

There's two projects side-by-side on Race, and one on Meridian behind SpaceCat.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Reason for downtown not seeing high rise buildings under construction: high cost of construction/labor. High tech is 100% blame for escalating costs of construction labor since they used up all the labor/material and leave basically nothing for downtown. High tech companies are the enemy of Downtown San Jose since they locate in burbs and or downtowns SF or Oakland. They are true traitors of San Jose, leaving its downtown high and dry with not much high rise construction for years. Hopefully, President Trump can rein on high tech fortune and bring them back down to earth. Downtown San Jose only then may be able see some high rise construction.

·
Registered
163 Posts
This board - are page functions messed up?

Am I the only one who is getting glitches when trying to carry out the last page function?

for example, when I manually type in page 1199 for the forum, it only shows that the highest numbered page available is page 1196

the last 2 posts are about the artist's enclave in downtown San Jose and that Jay Paul is pushing fast on 200 Park Ave.

here is the URL to manually seek out a page

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1386038&page=1199

23901 - 23920 of 30720 Posts